Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meter cabinet - coax duct

Options
  • 30-10-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

hiya,

we are starting a bungalow renovation and plan to move the esb cabinet to the boundary wall with power ducted into the house through the foundation slab.

i would like to use the same duct to bring upc coax into the house also.

do you know if there would be any issues putting these cables in the same duct as the power cable?

thanks for your help,

slip

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You may get interference on the coaxe cable.
    Strictly speaking both cables should be insulated to sustain the highest voltage (230VAC). This would not be considered good practice.

It is not normal to bring the mains supply through the floor. Why not go through the attic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

2011 wrote: »
    It is not normal to bring the mains supply through the floor. Why not go through the attic ?

we are trying to make the house as airtight (with blower tests etc. planned) as possible and it will be simpler to do this by bringing as many services as possible through the foundation slab.
    You may get interference on the coaxe cable.
    Strictly speaking both cables should be insulated to sustain the highest voltage (230VAC). This would not be considered good practice.

what cable types should we be using? would the standard coax shielding not be sufficient?

thanks for your help,

slip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

The meter cabinet is going on an external wall?

Ducting the tails (mains supply) from cabinet is prob doable

I would forget the other idea, how would you even combine them at the cabinet end of duct?
    The duct enters outlet on bottom right
    You can't bring UPC into the meter cabinet

The meter cabinet is going on an external wall?

the meter cabinet will be on a boundary wall within 2m of the front of the house. i already posted some more details here.
    Ducting the tails (mains supply) from cabinet is prob doable

I would forget the other idea, how would you even combine them at the cabinet end of duct?
    The duct enters cabinet on bottom right
    You can't bring up into the meter cabinet

upc have said they will provide a service point close to the meter cabinet.

could the customer tails and upc cable share a duct which comes in through the foundation slab?

slip

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Separate ducts is the way to do it in my opinion.
    If you get interference on the cable you will not be happy and changing it will be very difficult.

• Advertisement

Separate ducts is the way to do it in my opinion.
    If you get interference on the cable you will not be happy and changing it will be very difficult.

ok; interference sounds like a sensible concern.

should i use a hockey stick style duct for the customer tails or something else?

also, do you know what (if any) duct upc use when they underground cable?

slip

slipstream wrote: »
    should i use a hockey stick style duct for the customer tails or something else?

Perfect. Install a draw wire.

slipstream wrote: »
    also, do you know what (if any) duct upc use when they underground cable?

I don't think that they would refuse to use any sensible arrangement.

Advertisement