Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6 Stolen

• 30-10-2014 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wife's iPhone 6 was stolen out of her hands in the IFSC yesterday at 5.30pm. Phone was turned off straight away so couldn't use Find my iPhone. I got onto O2 straight away and the Gardai. If i left work 2 minutes earlier it wouldn't have happened.

Just be on the look out for a White iPhone 6 Gold 16gb if it goes up on Adverts.ie or Donedeal or you get offered a cheap one like this. Can the chinese phone shops unlock these if the IMEI is blocked etc? It has a Spigen gold cover on the iPhone FYI.

Thanks and watch yourselves in town with your phones out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Hate to hear of this happening, but the good news is that the morons who stole it won't ne able to use it because of iOS' Activation Lock. Have a read:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5818

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apple should implement a need to use the passcode (or Touch ID) if you want to turn off the phone from the lock screen.

Find my iPhone is useless if your phone gets stolen and then turned off. The same thing happened to my wife (older iPhone) and the phone was turned off staight away. Probably sold for parts. Couldn't even remote wipe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

OP, keep an eye on adverts. Sorry to hear it got robbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Best never to have these expensive phones out in built up busy areas as it's so easy these same guys are at it all the time.

I thought this was made known in that area and all were warned by security.

If talking on phone always use handsfree when in those busy areas and if holding phone use your whole hand and fingers to clasp it not just your thumb and 2 fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

Women are particularly oblivious to the world around them. I wonder would the guards even bother tracing a phone if it was left on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Women are particularly oblivious to the world around them. I wonder would the guards even bother tracing a phone if it was left on.

I'm sure if there was one nearby they would. It's their job after all.

Was theguy on a bike op?

This is their prefered method.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mad muffin wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apple should implement a need to use the passcode (or Touch ID) if you want to turn off the phone from the lock screen.
    What would stop a thief from simply pulling the SIM card and disabling the 3G connection?

As a means for retrieving a stolen iPhone, Find My iPhone’s usefulness is limited to say the least. The Garda aren’t in the habit of breaking down doors because some highly inaccurate tracking system says your iPhone is there. And a thief with a trackable device that they can’t turn off or hack isn’t going to bring it back safe and sound to its owner or leave it somewhere undamaged for them to find. They’ll throw it in the Liffey or smash it.

Mostly I just want to know that my personal data is safe and that the thief won’t be able to profit from the theft. Activation Lock is a good step in this direction, but I’d prefer a firmware password like the Mac has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Find my iPhone is useless if your phone gets stolen and then turned off. The same thing happened to my wife (older iPhone) and the phone was turned off staight away. Probably sold for parts. Couldn't even remote wipe it.

Don't get this.

If a phone is being stolen for parts then why would not switching the phone off not make a difference?
    Easy on older models with the pentalobe screwdriver.

I would hate to have to use touch id to switch off a device.

They probably know how to open the phone and remove the battery as well.

Even with find my iPhone and you see your phone located in someone's house. What do you do? Would the Gardai go in?

Sadly, people just have to be very careful when in any city (Not just Dublin) with an expensive device like an iPhone.

Sympathy for the OP and his wife but at the end of the day it's just a phone and be thankful she wasn't injured during the theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Was theguy on a bike op?

This is their prefered method.

Yeah a push bike, black hood up. Was in quite a crowded plaza and sickens me nobody stopped him or even comforted her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sympathy for the OP and his wife but at the end of the day it's just a phone and be thankful she wasn't injured during the theft.

Thanks, this was my gut reaction too and still is the overriding feeling. Apparently there is a known perpetrator back on the streets so I'm more concerned now with prevention in the future. This sort of situation could easy turn violent.

I would well believe it.

People are afraid of their shadows and I have no hesitation in helping out but most won't.

He could have a blade or screw driver you just don't know and so many others are in their own world just like your wife would have been I'm afraid.

Let this be a lesson to her I know easier said then done but it would not hard to catch these guys as hey are at it all the time they just love it there vecause so many suits and lovely spanking new phones.

Does she work there? and if yes she should let everyone know even email around and make a statement to the fact they are all targets.

As I said if she is out and needs to use phone try using ear piece when making calls and if texting or on net keep phone close using both hands.

If using phone cradle it so you have your whole hand covering.

Stings should be set up with these phones but plastic dummy ones I would love a go and catch the scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Removing the sim card would do pretty much the same thing as turning it off. No data connection then no FMIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

You can take a little bit of good from it knowing that the phone is pretty useless to him anyway. With the IMEI blocked and Apples Activation lock its paperweight for him. Probably only useful to somebody for parts, hope your wife had insurance and can get a replacement. Terrible that nobody around offered any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unfortunately it's a common method of phone thefts in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Much sympathy for the OP's wife, but would you hold €700 up to your ear in a public place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

nightster1 wrote: »
    Much sympathy for the OP's wife, but would you hold €700 up to your ear in a public place?

Clearly you don't have any sympathy. You should be able to use your phone in public without fear of being robbed. The majority of people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Well, wouldn't be much of a phone to you if you were scared to do that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

A bit late for the OP's wife, but a tip I always use when making a call in an area where thefts might occur is to stand with your back to a wall - you can easily see anyone coming from the front or sides, and no one can come up from behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Ridiculous statement. Are we supposed to not make phone calls until we get home then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Ridiculous statement. Are we supposed to not make phone calls until we get home then?

I'd step off the street or mall to use my phone, less chance of having it stolen

As I said if making a call use handsfree ear piece makes it that much harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The IFSC is notorious for this. I worked there a few years back and security staff from our company were always warning staff to be careful.

Advertisement