Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Grad in the US

Options
  • 30-10-2014 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

You'll probably find that state colleges are cheaper than private colleges (eg Rutgers vs Princeton), and some schools have online programs that may be cheaper. I'm only looking at Rutgers and Drexel because they're local to me. Rutgers gives you the fees on their site.

http://studentabc.rutgers.edu/tuition-and-fees

www.drexel.com/online

You can also Google and see what pops up - this is a list from US News -

http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/education/rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Have you contacted the university/college where you got your primary degree, to see if they have any partnerships with American universities, whereby students can go from one to the other? When my sister graduated from DCU, she got a scholarship (of sorts) to the University of Washingon. They even took care of all the visa stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Hi Guys,

Im thinking of applying for a Masters somewhere in the USA. Problem is as we all know tuition fees are incredibly high over there. Does anybody know of any grants/government support/ methods of getting the courses cheap? Its something id love to do but obviously it might not be plausible

Regards

Irishfeeney92

What is your area of interest? Certain areas like Engineering and sciences you will have your fees covered allot of the time and potentially end up with a stipend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    What is your area of interest? Certain areas like Engineering and sciences you will have your fees covered allot of the time and potentially end up with a stipend.

Even for a Masters? I would say a PhD is more common for having a stipend attached. I know next September seems like ages away but many course application dates will be closing in the next few months so you need to get cracking. Have you investigated/taken GRE yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Yes even for a masters depending on the program. A lot of schools offer free fees if you work as a teaching assistant during your time there.

Make sure you pick a school with a good reputation. Americans REALLY care about where you went to college (if you plan on staying there....)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

Fulbright is fabulous. Best of luck.

Even for a Masters? I would say a PhD is more common for having a stipend attached. I know next September seems like ages away but many course application dates will be closing in the next few months so you need to get cracking. Have you investigated/taken GRE yet?

They tend to be lumped in the US allot. Most masters are 2 year programmes with time to RA/TA. I would definitely be looking at GREs

Cheers, unfortunately because this is a last minute decision and the deadline is next Wednesday, I'm struggling to get the documentation together! :(

Talk to your college international/ careers service. Often there are people there who have applied previously. Fulbright is not the be all/ End all. There is allot of work in cyber security/forensics here and no doubt allot of funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Grayce23

Just wondering how you got on in the end! I'm weighing up my options between this and the 12 month graduate visa :)

If you are a security expert with a masters and experience in the US, get ready for a BIG FAT paycheck! An investment bank would likely pay up to 150k USD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I missed the deadline in the end as I couldnt get all the documentation together. Since then Ive begun a job in a role similar to what I wanted to study. Will be going back to do a Part time masters next September in security so doing that in Ireland. It will take 2 years but combining that with the experience I will get will give me a good chance of potentially landing a well paid role should I decide to use my 1 Year work Visa at the end of the masters! :)

You might want to look into whether or not doing a part time Masters degree qualifies you for the graduate visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Exactly! The difference in wages over here to there is incredible. Its all down to the costs of Education over there!

Coupled with high cost of living...1 bedroom apartments in SF are around 2500-3400 dollars...similar prices in NY etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Grayce23

I'm in Accounting and Finance so I'm hopping I'll get something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Exactly! The difference in wages over here to there is incredible. Its all down to the costs of Education over there!

Not exactly.

You can do a fine arts degree in the Art Institute of Chicago. It may cost in the region of $40k/yr. When you graduate, many of the jobs you can expect will be paying <$15/hr.

What jobs pay is primarily related to both supply and demand.

While there is a relatively short supply of grads with that fine arts degree, the demand has always been near zero for the qualification. Hence, low wages.

An electrical engineer that has taken bio-med classes may have job offers before graduation in the $80k range. Short supply, high demand, high salary.

Location is one of the many secondary factors and salaries are adjusted to reflect this. An internet security role for Wal-mart in Arkansas will pay less than the same job with Bank of America in Charlotte, NC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I see your location is San Fran. Is the cost of living higher in the US compared to the wages that are offered?

The bay area (calling it san fran is a way to get your butt kicked :) ) is a bubble. San Francisco is a small city with rent control and people that don't want skyscrapers built - so you have a low density city with a lot of people earning money that landlords want to take advantage of. The cities around (oakland, alameda, San Jose etc) are commuter towns for SF and silicon valley.

There are cities that have a lower cost of living but higher salaries based off tech culture - Portland, Austin, Charlotte etc - however they are also getting more expensive.

In short, don't move to SF unless you are happy to pay 1/3 of salary to a landlord and 1/3 to uncle sam and the state of CA.

Advertisement