Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Apps?

Options
  • 30-10-2014 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Hi guys could you direct me to the correct place to learn about computer apps? how to make them test the waters on ideas and sio on??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Hi guys could you direct me to the correct place to learn about computer apps? how to make them test the waters on ideas and sio on??

The amount you need to learn massively depends on the app you are wanting to develop if you want something basic then the app building sites are going to do the job (http://ibuildapp.com/ etc) if you are looking for something more original that needs a custom build then you are better off hiring someone to do it for you than try learn all the coding needed to do it yourself it will save you a hell of a lot of time any decent company doing that will test is sufficiently too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Google.

I'm sorry but your question is too generic, too wide-ranging and too basic for you to get useful responses here unless someone happens to know of an introductory article entitled "the complete idiot's guide to apps", and it's probably faster to Google than post here for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 theevilman

Google.

I'm sorry but your question is too generic, too wide-ranging and too basic for you to get useful responses here unless someone happens to know of an introductory article entitled "the complete idiot's guide to apps", and it's probably faster to Google than post here for that.

No offence but generic to you maybe. I wouldn't think gru and evil would do the work themselves

theevilman wrote: »
    No offence but generic to you maybe. I wouldn't think gru and evil would do the work themselves
    I don't know the first thing about plumbing. But if I wanted "to learn about plumbing? how to do plumbing stuff, test the waters on plumbing ideas and so on", I'd know enough that it's realistically too wide and generic a question to ask and that I'm better off googling "plumbing for idiots" first before going somewhere to get answers to more specific questions that may be less difficult to otherwise find. It's just basic cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I don't know the first thing about plumbing. But if I wanted "to learn about plumbing? how to do plumbing stuff, test the waters on plumbing ideas and so on", I'd know enough that it's realistically too wide and generic a question to ask and that I'm better off googling "plumbing for idiots" first before going somewhere to get answers to more specific questions that may be less difficult to otherwise find. It's just basic cop on.

well then thats the end of Boards.ie then

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

The analogy doesn't work. Ask ten people on the street if they know 'what plumbing involves, how they might learn about plumbing, how they could qualify to do plumbing or if they would need to get a qualified plumbing person to do x', and chances are that all ten people will have comprehensive answers for each. In fact, you might even get a few annoyed looks from people who think you might be insulting their intelligence.

Ask the same ten people the same question about app-building and chances are you will get ten quizzical looks from ten people who won't have an iota - unless you happen to meet a developer type.

App development is a black box for the vast majority of people. Plumbing is not. So drawing that analogy is just disingenuous really.

Also, based on the reactions to your post, you might want to consider how a forum works. Yes, people should go search on Google for basic questions or whatever, but the first few answers set the tone for the thread, and there is no sign at the top of the forum asking people to google before they post. People are pretty darn helpful on this forum so you should consider following their lead (jimmi's post in an excellent example of this in action).

Additional note - OP, Corinthian does make a valid point in probably a less than ideal way. Google 'app development', or just 'how to develop an app', and then come back to the thread with your new found knowledge (seriously). You will get a lot more out of the thread and you will probably get more detailed and helpful replies.

Tonnes of stuff here following a click on an article on page 1 of Google.com for 'how to make an app'.

Also, if you are looking to make your millions you should definitely try, but bear in mind that approx. 0.01% of apps make any money. If that statistic puts you off then you know you were never meant to make one in the first place.

Atomico wrote: »
    The analogy doesn't work.
    Ah, you again... I'm beginning to think that you're following me around.
    Ask ten people on the street if they know 'what plumbing involves, how they might learn about plumbing, how they could qualify to do plumbing or if they would need to get a qualified plumbing person to do x', and chances are that all ten people will have comprehensive answers for each.
    Maybe if all ten are well versed in plumbing; otherwise you'd get ten comprehensive bull**** answers. If they do know something about plumbing, I suspect they'll get the plumbing equivalent of STFW as a response.
    Ask the same ten people the same question about app-building and chances are you will get ten quizzical looks from ten people who won't have an iota - unless you happen to meet a developer type.
    Not sure what your point is - certainly it doesn't rebut my analogy.
    Also, based on the reactions to your post, you might want to consider how a forum works.
    I suspect I've been on forums for a lot longer than you, so you can keep your opinion on how I should respond to yourself, especially given that your interest in my posting style seems predicated on a personal issue you have with me.
    Additional note - OP, Corinthian does make a valid point in probably a less than ideal way. Google 'app development', or just 'how to develop an app', and then come back to the thread with your new found knowledge (seriously). You will get a lot more out of the thread and you will probably get more detailed and helpful replies.
    So ultimately you actually agree with what I said, just not how I said it :rolleyes:

Ah, you again... I'm beginning to think that you're following me around.

I'm beginning to think you love linking to my previous posts. Oh and get over yourself...
    Maybe if all ten are well versed in plumbing; otherwise you'd get ten comprehensive bull**** answers. If they do know something about plumbing, I suspect they'll get the plumbing equivalent of STFW as a response.

Nope, maybe you know nothing about basic plumbing, but I suspect (and I'm sure mostly everyone reading agrees), that you might get answers along the lines of:

-Plumbing involves managing the flow of water systems within a dwelling, e.g. a house, apartment, etc. It relates to managing/fixing toilets, showers, sinks...you qualify as a plumber via an apprenticeship, exams...

See how that works?
    Not sure what your point is - certainly it doesn't rebut my analogy.

Um, think it kind of does? So you think that the average person on the street will have broadly the same knowledge of the basics of plumbing as they will on the basics of app development then?
    I suspect I've been on forums for a lot longer than you, so you can keep your opinion on how I should respond to yourself, especially given that your interest in my posting style seems predicated on a personal issue you have with me.

You probably have, but I'll voice my opinion any way I like, thanks very much.
    So ultimately you actually agree with what I said, just not how I said it :rolleyes:

Yes, because engaging on a forum is as much about how you respond to a topic, as what you actually say. Something tenure doesn't teach you, evidently :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to think you love linking to my previous posts. Oh and get over yourself...
    No, I love showing why you keep on following me around on the fora here.
    So you think that the average person on the street will have broadly the same knowledge of the basics of plumbing as they will on the basics of app development then?
    Probably. That some (I don't think the average person on the street is as sure of their answers on topics they don't have a clue on, like you) think they know more is probably down to arrogance and snobbery.
    You probably have, but I'll voice my opinion any way I like, thanks very much.
    Clearly, given that my bloodying your nose back in April still seems to be all that's motivating you. While we're discussing opinions, how's your one-man crusade against my 'poor netiquette' working out for you?

• Advertisement

No, I love showing why you keep on following me around on the fora here.

Ok. You keep on believing that ;) Here's a tip - go look at the last few people to view your profile. (Hint - you won't find me there). So that should give you a clue about how much I care about your Boards posts.
    Probably. That some (I don't think the average person on the street is as sure of their answers on topics they don't have a clue on, like you) think they know more is probably down to arrogance and snobbery.

Sure. Twist it all you like. You, I, and everyone else all know that the average person on the street is more likely to know about the rudiments of plumbing than they are of app development. To deny that is to just not give me 'the satisfaction' of you admitting it :)
    Clearly, given that my bloodying your nose back in April still seems to be all that's motivating you. While we're discussing opinions, how's your one-man crusade against my 'poor netiquette' working out for you?

Nope. My motivation is jumping in whenever I might happen to see someone (especially a subject matter expert - well presumably) belittling or denigrating another poster. It just happens to be you this time. Again. Funny that?!

It's going pretty good - the Business forum peeps can see your posting style in all its glory now (why limit it to the dark corners of Dev ;))

Nope. My motivation is jumping in whenever I might happen to see someone (especially a subject matter expert - well presumably) belittling or denigrating another poster. It just happens to be you this time. Again. Funny that?!
    It would be if you did so for others, but from what I can see (and forgive me for not devoting the same time to stalk you as you have for me, so I cannot say for certain.) it's only me and only since I gave you that bloody nose back in April. Otherwise your claim rings hollow.

Anyhow, I'm not hugely interested in a handbags at dawn scenario here, let alone with you, so I'll leave you to it.

It would be if you did so for others, but from what I can see (and forgive me for not devoting the same time to stalk you as you have for me, so I cannot say for certain.) it's only me and only since I gave you that bloody nose back in April. Otherwise your claim rings hollow.

Anyhow, I'm not hugely interested in a handbags at dawn scenario here, let alone with you, so I'll leave you to it.

Don't flatter yourself with the 'bloody nose' stuff. I have no interest in your posts - aside from the helpful ones, perhaps.

You were rude to me for no reason back in April, which I didn't appreciate - that's all!

Anyway, I have no interest in arguing either, as it happens. So good luck to you.

You were rude to me for no reason back in April, which I didn't appreciate - that's all!
    LOL. I genuinely was going to stop responding, but I loved how you edited your post from what you originally posted:
    You were rude to me for no reason back in April and nobody gets away with that
    Says it all really :D

LOL. I genuinely was going to stop responding, but I loved how you edited your post from what you originally posted:

Says it all really :D

Thought it was a bit too dramatic :D Hanging on my every word eh...

Well if you are going to be the sarky developer type (:D), you should expect these kind of responses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Erm??????? Apps? how to make them??? lolo

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I know a couple of guys that make apps for the apple and android markets - is that you want contact with someone that does them or you want to make your own. If you contact Chris he should be able to put you onto the right guy.
    If an app builder is what you're looking for .... The posts are worth a look anyway - they do some cool stuff from homemade tattoo guns to making their own circuit boards, games and laser cutters ...
    http://nerdclub-uk.blogspot.ie/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Atomico and Corinthian take it to pm ladies, enough of the handbags on here thanks.

TonyHeaney, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to prototype an idea first then look at something like flinto which lets you create a test app with images and link them up to act like an app would for basic user testing etc. Also prototyping tools like balsamiq for doing wireframes and mockups as an initial step in the design process. From there you can go to a developer and get the app coded.

You arent going to learn app development over night so you either knuckle down for a good while and learn to code making mistakes along the way building your own little project if thats something you are into or you get up to speed on apps themselves, what works and what doesnt, what competitors are doing, whats popular design wise and then work with a developer to make the app. Either way there is a lot of ground work involved and you could end up spending a fortune with a developer if you really go in blind and dont know what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Great thread :D

Advertisement