Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World 50km trophy final

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Fantastic achievement - congratulations Orna, you should be very proud of yourself with that outstanding performance

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

Fantasic result from Orna. She deserved to finish. I read her article during the week and she's an inspiration.

I read on GOH's page that he spent time in A&E after DCM on Monday. Who is writing that stuff? I know people are going to give out to me. But what was he thinking of trying to run sub 2-20 in Dublin and then follow this up with Doha today in unreal conditions? Why didn't he just concentrate on Doha and he could be a World Medalist now? What an achievement that would have been. Not many could say that. Dare I say it but if he took the 50KM championships as seriously as Orna did according to her article then GOH could be wearing a medal around his neck. His back to back strategy works for marathons here it was never going to work today in those conditions. He might look back on this as a real opportunity missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Well done orna,Gary and Ravis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Fantasic result from Orna. She deserved to finish. I read her article during the week and she's an inspiration.

I read on GOH's page that he spent time in A&E after DCM on Monday. Who is writing that stuff? I know people are going to give out to me. But what was he thinking of trying to run sub 2-20 in Dublin and then follow this up with Doha today in unreal conditions? Why didn't he just concentrate on Doha and he could be a World Medalist now? What an achievement that would have been. Not many could say that. Dare I say it but if he took the 50KM championships as seriously as Orna did according to her article then GOH could be wearing a medal around his neck. His back to back strategy works for marathons here it was never going to work today in those conditions. He might look back on this as a real opportunity missed.

While I agree with some of the above,Gary will always put Dublin ahead of a 50k.I don't agree with this as he did have a big chance of a medal.
    Any fool would know this looking at the ranking(4th) and done on Donadea which would not be as fast as a road 50k.
    He was on a drip for an hour after Dublin but this was more to do with some personal issues he was having in the week leading up to Dublin.Not trying to make excuses for him but he was in much better shape than he ran in Dublin and lack of food and fluids in the two days before Dublin meant he was never going to run well.
    I was suppose to travel but couldn't due to work commitments.
    Great to see two Irish athletes over in Doha and flying the flag.
    Id say the number of drop outs was high.
    I was talking to him earlier and all the top guys laughing at him running a marathon that close.They think he is mad and he is :)

He was on a drip for an hour after Dublin but this was more to do with some personal issues he was having in the week leading up to Dublin.Not trying to make excuses for him but he was in much better shape than he ran in Dublin and lack of food and fluids in the two days before Dublin meant he was never going to run well.

I really feel sorry for the guy. There doesnt seem to be anyone advising him! Last year he was robbed and beaten up before the marathon and then whatever these personal issues were it prevented him having a proper tilt at 2:20 in DCM 2014. Was it medically sound for him to run DCM without food and fluids 48 hours before the event?? This guy is an elite athlete. If there were people advising him then the plan should have been to rest up and head to Doha. You get DCM every year but its not every year you get to run in a World Championships.

Great to see two Irish athletes over in Doha and flying the flag.

Ravis Zakis is an Irish athlete :-) That makes three

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I really feel sorry for the guy. There doesnt seem to be anyone advising him! Last year he was robbed and beaten up before the marathon and then whatever these personal issues were it prevented him having a proper tilt at 2:20 in DCM 2014. Was it medically sound for him to run DCM without food and fluids 48 hours before the event?? This guy is an elite athlete. If there were people advising him then the plan should have been to rest up and head to Doha. You get DCM every year but its not every year you get to run in a World Championships.

I don't mean this in a mean way, but even on a perfect day with no issues in the days leading up to the race, Gary was never going to break 2.20 on Monday. I'm not saying it could never happen but he would need a much quicker half marathon for example, and a serious bout of training focused on that one goal. It will never happen with the racing every weekend, especially when a lot of those races are marathons.

Im sure Gary doesn't need you feeling sorry for him.He is delighted with 5th place in the world 50k.

Im sure he declared for another country :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

O just posted on FB. Had a 'moment' when she finished but is fine now. Tucked up in bed with some flat 7up. Digdig is been a good nurse:pac:

pconn062 wrote: »
    I don't mean this in a mean way, but even on a perfect day with no issues in the days leading up to the race, Gary was never going to break 2.20 on Monday. I'm not saying it could never happen but he would need a much quicker half marathon for example, and a serious bout of training focused on that one goal. It will never happen with the racing every weekend, especially when a lot of those races are marathons.

He actually cut back on his racing this year :).I do think racing Athlone 3-4 the way he did took more out of him than expected.
    He is 40 years of age and enjoying his running without over-analysing like most people on here do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

He actually cut back on his racing this year :).I do think racing Athlone 3-4 the way he did took more out of him than expected.
    He is 40 years of age and enjoying his running without over-analysing like most people on here do.

No over-analysing from me I assure you. :) I admire Gary and have trained with him a few times myself (he is good friends with a few of my friends in Dunleer), just don't think 2.20 was ever a possibility on Monday. I just wish he'd go back and try and break 3.50 for the 1500m, not that I'd like to see! :)

• Advertisement

He would take a sub 3.50 before a sub 2.20 marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Racman wrote: »

Managed to raise her arms at the finish, didn't collapse and might even have had a smile on her face. Magnificent achievement to finish it.

She just posted on Facebook a short time ago. Apparently she got sick at the finish and had to go to the medical tent but she's Ok now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tunguska wrote: »
    She just posted on Facebook a short time ago. Apparently she got sick at the finish and had to go to the medical tent but she's Ok now.

Spent an hour on a drip and wheelchaired back to the hotel.....

There's hardly a deep analysis going on. Just offering some of our opinions. If he's racing less than last year why did he race full out the Athlone 3-4? The 3/4 is a fine race but was setting the course record that important that he'd have willingly scuppered his chances in DCM?
    I am absolutely delighted to know that he's enjoying his running. That is what it is about at the end of the day. The point I'm trying to make is that the people close to him dont seem to be providing any type of advice to GOH. Who does his Facebook work as they seem to post a lot of stuff that GOH would never write as hes a very quiet shy man in reality who just wants to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    Spent an hour on a drip and wheelchaired back to the hotel.....

But some fella called digger to the rescue..remember him! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Big well done to Orna tonight, she's an international athlete now, must be class to be able to say that to yourself. Fair play to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    But some fella called digger to the rescue..remember him! :pac:

with his flat 7up ;)

There's hardly a deep analysis going on. Just offering some of our opinions. If he's racing less than last year why did he race full out the Athlone 3-4? The 3/4 is a fine race but was setting the course record that important that he'd have willingly scuppered his chances in DCM?
    I am absolutely delighted to know that he's enjoying his running. That is what it is about at the end of the day. The point I'm trying to make is that the people close to him dont seem to be providing any type of advice to GOH. Who does his Facebook work as they seem to post a lot of stuff that GOH would never write as hes a very quiet shy man in reality who just wants to run.

I think I know more about Gary than you would and he is not a shy person.
    The person closest to him and one of the most talented Irish runners around would tell you the same thing ''Gary is his own man''
    His Facebook page posts are all his own.I updated his FB page while he was racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just to add a big well done to all runners for finishing.

Particular Kudos to Gary for his magnificent 5th place finish. That equals Ultrapercy's placing at the same event from a year or two ago, IIRC. Great to see Irish athletes punching above their weight at the highest levels of ultrarunning yet again!

Advertisement