Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drawing wage from business that is no longer trading

Options
  • 30-10-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello there.

I have a limited company which I am closing, and have stopped trading for just over a week now.

The problem is that I could really do with drawing one last wage from the business before closing it, as I have some funds in there still.

Are you allowed to draw a wage from a company when you have stopped trading? I haven't sent in any letters to revenue yet, I have just stopped trading and will be sending in my accounts to revenue asap.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It depends. If you have not paid all your creditors in full it would be most inadvisable to pay yourself, so effectively you cannot take any money out. If there is a shortfall the liquidator is oblige by law to file a report with the ODCE. There are big downsides so you need to talk with the accountant you will use to wind up the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 danny1986

It depends. If you have not paid all your creditors in full it would be most inadvisable to pay yourself, so effectively you cannot take any money out. If there is a shortfall the liquidator is oblige by law to file a report with the ODCE. There are big downsides so you need to talk with the accountant you will use to wind up the company.

Thanks for the reply.

I actually don't ow any money to creditors. The only money owed will be for the years taxes etc. I believe that you are right, it's probably going to cause more hassle taking out a wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

danny1986 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I actually don't ow any money to creditors. The only money owed will be for the years taxes etc. I believe that you are right, it's probably going to cause more hassle taking out a wage.

Not necessarily, if the company is solvent and drawing the money won't prevent it from being able to pay its creditors & costs of winding up. Talk to your accountant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Not necessarily, if the company is solvent and drawing the money won't prevent it from being able to pay its creditors & costs of winding up. Talk to your accountant.

Quite. But it appears that the OP does not regard the Taxman as a creditor, as he wrote
    I actually don't ow any money to creditors. The only money owed will be for the years taxes etc.

For background read this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Quite. But it appears that the OP does not regard the Taxman as a creditor, as he wrote

For background read this

Ahhhhh, well that's a horse of a different colour.

If the only tax owed is PAYE/PRSI on the OP's salary to himself (no mention of VAT and maybe he never got over the registration threshold), then Revenue will simply apply S.997A and deny the OP the credit for tax deducted by the company which hasn't been remitted to Revenue - in other words collect the PAYE that the company hasn't paid, from the individual.

But certainly from a company law point of view, he shouldn't be drawing any further wage based on the situation outlined in the link.

• Advertisement
Advertisement