Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitchen reconfig

Options
  • 30-10-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

My small kitchen is undergoing slight renovation at the moment and I am looking at the electrical circuits and design to ensure it is up to the latest regs. The kitchen is wired as a ring which covers 4 over counter double sockets, one undercounter socket for dishwasher AND washing machine and a 3A fused spur to the gas boiler. The fridge is just outside the kitchen area so is plugged into a downstairs ring main circuit. The cooker is on a dedicated circuit to the CU.

As a novice I can see a few things wrong with this and am trying to understand what the best design would be to be safe. I am thinking...

1. 2.5mmsq ring should be split and reconfigured as 2 x radial circuits each on 20A MCB's
    2. first radial circuit can cover undercounter sockets (dishwasher + washing machine + boiler as per attached picture) and 3A fused spur to boiler and second circuit for overcounter sockets (kettle, microwave, coffee machine, toaster).
    3. dishwasher and washing machine each need there own 13A rated socket. Each socket needs to be controlled by 20A double pole isolation switches located above counter. Query: does each of these need to be a fused switch?

Is the above spec reasonable? I'm not interested in putting the fridge on its own rcbo or anything.

B

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

you've good insight if you're a non-electrician

the over-switches don't need to be fused if they're on a 20amp radial

they are now supposed to be fused if they are on a ring circuit ...as non-fused branches are no longer allowed

the way i normally do general use sockets and dedicated socket outlets in a kitchen is a couple of the overcounter 13amp sockets and a DP switch and appliance combined on a radial rather than appliances and general purpose sockets separate like you have

try to go 3 radials if possible it's better and add at least 1 separate RCD for kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

mikeyjames,
    That is a good idea. I'm not an electrician but like making sure everything is done right. At this point the floor is down so it'll have to be 2 x radial circuits for the kitchen sockets. I have had a look at what you said and looked at the ratings of the appliances that will be in place and it makes sense.

Circuit A could have one 20A MCB covering;
    washing machine (2000W, 9A)
    kettle (3kw, 13A)
    Total for circuit A: 21A Max.

Circuit B with one 20A MCB could cover sockets above counter and one undercounter socket for dishwasher and one fused spur to boiler;
    dishwasher 2200W, ~10A
    coffee machine 1260W, 5.5A
    toaster 900W, 4A
    microwave 1050W, 4.5A
    boiler 140W, 0.6A
    extractor for hob ?
    Total for circuit A: 24.6A Max but not everything is likely to be one at same time (diversity factor?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

balance it the best way you can

unlikely you will have any problems with that setup

Advertisement