Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary schools advice dublin 6

Options
  • 30-10-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all mu daughter has been offered a place in Harolds cross primary schools.
    However at the moment she's in a creche in Terenure National school and she's made loads of friends so it would be nice for her to follow on with them to primary. However she's not not guaranteed a place in the primary school as we live in kimmage. Im thinking i better take the place in harolds cross just in case?
    Also if anyone can offer advice on the two schools that would be great thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I wouldn't be said and led by pre-school friends, children often make new friends at primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ETRY wrote: »
    Hi all mu daughter has been offered a place in Harolds cross primary schools.
    However at the moment she's in a creche in Terenure National school and she's made loads of friends so it would be nice for her to follow on with them to primary. However she's not not guaranteed a place in the primary school as we live in kimmage. Im thinking i better take the place in harolds cross just in case?
    Also if anyone can offer advice on the two schools that would be great thanks.

Is Terenure national school presentation on Terenure road west? When do they offer places? I would accept the offer as you can decline it later if the other school get back to you. Did you apply for St pius x (which is a fab school)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wouldn't be said and led by pre-school friends, children often make new friends at primary.

Exactly this. I wouldn't base a decision on primary or secondary school on friends. Most people make different friends anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Visitor1

Re st pious x in templeogue, I have heard that class sizes are large here, 32 or more in classes in recent years. It's a feeder school for our lady's in templeogue, therefore it's popular, would large class sizes not be a turn off? Presentation in terenure is a feeder school for presentation secondary but as far as I know (and open to correction as schools change) the secondary school does not have a good reputation academically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Visitor1 wrote: »
    Re st pious x in templeogue, I have heard that class sizes are large here, 32 or more in classes in recent years. It's a feeder school for our lady's in templeogue, therefore it's popular, would large class sizes not be a turn off? Presentation in terenure is a feeder school for presentation secondary but as far as I know (and open to correction as schools change) the secondary school does not have a good reputation academically.

Visitor I was told (by the school) the norm is 30 in a class but I know one year only has 28 but I presumed 2 had left. I think there is a junior infants class there this year 32 so maybe they took in the extra two? I would agree that pres secondary school does not come close to our ladys. I found 30 in a class the average size when I researched schools for my son unless you were going to a DEIS or some fee paying junior schools (not a Holy Ghost one as they really do squeeze them in!!) or some CofI primary schools.

• Advertisement
Advertisement