Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identity Theft

Options
  • 30-10-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place. I've recently returned from the US and it now appears that my cards that I used over there have been compromised and my identity misused. My bank flagged an attempted purchase of groceries in the US and yesterday I got a letter from a car rental company looking for compensation for damage to a car that I did not rent.

My bank have cancelled and reissued the cards. So I'm just trying to figure out the best course of action over the identity issue. Someone obviously used a copy of my identity or similar to rent a car in my name in the US.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Can anyone recommend who to contact in the US to deal with this? I have contacted the rental company explaining the issue, but that won't stop it happening again with another company.
    Thanks in advance for any help ye can give!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

crackerj wrote: »
    Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place. I've recently returned from the US and it now appears that my cards that I used over there have been compromised and my identity misused. My bank flagged an attempted purchase of groceries in the US and yesterday I got a letter from a car rental company looking for compensation for damage to a car that I did not rent.

My bank have cancelled and reissued the cards. So I'm just trying to figure out the best course of action over the identity issue. Someone obviously used a copy of my identity or similar to rent a car in my name in the US.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Can anyone recommend who to contact in the US to deal with this? I have contacted the rental company explaining the issue, but that won't stop it happening again with another company.
    Thanks in advance for any help ye can give!!

if your bank cancelled the cards why do you think it will happen again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved from consumer issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Was it just your cards that were taken?

How did the car hire company get in contact with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

did they not require the person hiring the vehicle to provide ID before renting the car ? Should be easy to prove the person renting it was not infact you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 crackerj

The car rental people posted to my home address. While over there I would have given passport to hotels to copy and licence to a different car rental place, which is why I'm worried some similar incident could happen again. I'm not so worried about the claim this car rental is making, because I should have no problem proving I wasn't in the country at the time and it wasn't me. I think someone used my ID and that it could happen again, so I was wondering is there some kind of database that can flag my details if they're used again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement