Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair ride on lawnmower

Options
  • 30-10-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭

I was cutting the lawn last week and all was fine until I head a hig pitched squeal and a loud clatter before the mower almost cut out. When I looked at the deck one of blade axles has a lot of play on it and it out of sych with the other such that the blades can clatter off each other. I removed the deck to have a better look but have not had the time to investigate further and given that I may not have to cut again this year I have been putting off the job.

Can anyone advise me if this fault can be easily repaired by replacing an axle or axle bearing or if it is a more demanding fix. Presumably I also will have to sharpen the blades given that they crashed off each other.

Given that the deck is off the mower meaning I could transport it in the back of the car it would be relatively easy to just take the deck to a repair centre. Just wondering if it would be worth my while taking out the rachet set!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

creedp wrote: »

Can anyone advise me if this fault can be easily repaired by replacing an axle or axle bearing or if it is a more demanding fix. Presumably I also will have to sharpen the blades given that they crashed off each other!

I'd a similar issue and initially it wasn't a huge deal, but then I found the root cause and removing the axels was tricky but nothing impossible. I found the castlegarden parts prices a little hefty. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

creedp wrote: »

Can anyone advise me if this fault can be easily repaired by replacing an axle or axle bearing or if it is a more demanding fix. Presumably I also will have to sharpen the blades given that they crashed off each other!

I'd a similar issue and initially it wasn't a huge deal, but then I found the root cause and removing the axels was tricky but nothing impossible. I found the castlegarden parts prices a little hefty. Good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Collapsed bearing is a likely culprit there, no major expense on part. Bit of labour involved but nothing drastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Collapsed bearing is a likely culprit there, no major expense on part. Bit of labour involved but nothing drastic.

Might be worth a go over the winter so. Where is the best place to source Honda parts? How easy is it to DIY sharpen the blades .. are special tools required, e.g. how are they balanced?

Thanks for advice .. never tackled a mower before and while I'm at it I may a well service the engine also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

You wont have to go to honda for a bearing, any bearing company will have them. Sharpen the blades with a grinder or bench grinder. You balance them by lining up the blades a certain way and put back the belt.
    No specalised tools needed, plenty online companies will have a service kit so buy that and change out the lot, tackle the mower sooner rather than later and prep it for the winter and it be ready to go then for the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 truckinmad

Anyone know how to reset the blades on a ride on twin cut. Hit a stone and now blades are hitting off each other.

Advertisement