Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desert Golfing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

HELP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That looks pretty impossible.

Don't actually know what my final stroke count was. :o

So the strategy for this hole was to play the first shot to the middle area where the ball is located in the screenshot. The play a sticky shot up the slope as close as reasonably possible to the edge of the cliff (but not too close!). From there, there were two options.

i)Play a really delicate surface trimming chip shot so that the ball lands on the sand, doesn't bounce and rolls down the decline with maximum friction : Execution incredibly difficult.

ii)Play a less delicate high vertical chip shot and try to ensure your first bounce is on the flat area at the bottom of the decline. If your initial shot was vertical enough the bounce will also be largely vertical. Here you need a bit of luck with the second bounce. On many an occasion the second bounce would either be off the edge of the flat at the bottom of the decline, the inside rims of the hole, or the final edge, or completely over the edges missing everything!:( Suffice to say: execution incredibly difficult.

Somewhere along the course of trying these two approaches I observed that the ball was often hitting a wall off-screen at the very end of the hole. Giving a third option. Turned out to be a false dawn.

So I reverted to my pong days, where along the course can I strike a parabolic shot from that will produce a vertical bounce on the edge after the annoying decline. There was seemingly nowhere. So how the fck do I complete this darn hole?

Geometry had me thinking along the right lines. What I needed to do was ensure the ball landed along the decline as low down as possible but only in such a way there was no bounce. It turns out that the point you need is the first incline nearest the tee. The flight of the ball needed to the match the final decline so that around the moment the ball loses all speed it starts to land on the decline. By speed I mean the ball is no longer changing height. If it's begun it's descent from the shot it'll roll down the slope far too fast. If it hasn't begun it's descent it'll just fly over the slop out bounce back off it.

Basically think about tossing a ball straight up into the air. At the moment it leaves your hand it's going its fastest. Then it gradually slows until it reaches the apex of its climb - around here is when you want the ball to start descending the decline- when it starts to fall faster and faster until it reaches terminal velocity. Any point along the former and the ball is going far too fast. Need it at its apex where it has only the horizontal speed provided by your shot.

That's how I'd like to think I completed the hole anyway. Remember that false dawn I mentioned earlier? I lied. You just wallop the ball the full power onto the final decline and get the bounce just right that'll land back in the hole or somewhere near it.
    Feel like a cheat. :o

Heh, now that's an analysis. :)

Roughly how many strokes? Over 100? 200?

Under 100 anyway. Over 50. I think it was like 70 or 80 I was just walloping shots for the sake of it once I found out the path to take. :o

3,000th hole now. My life is complete!
    Edit:
    Ok, something is wrong here. On the last hundred to hundred and fifty holes I've been making the hole in mostly one to two strokes. Max been four strokes. Most of the holes are just bumpy putts.

Example of what I mean.

• Advertisement

New version out on Android. The what's new says it includes a revamp of later holes.

I'm now seeing water (which I haven't seen before), and some interesting hole layouts.

I'll try it later. Clearly the version I have is obsolete after 3,000 ish holes. It's just horizontal putts from some point there on after. The question I have is whether the holes above 3,000 have been fixed in that newer version.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm finished with this game. It was a great time sink while it lasted.

Any ideas?

One light shot to the lip in front of the water. One perfect height shot to just clip the top of the peak before the hole.

If you get it onto the lip, a sticky slope shot might be possible across the water (if hit at the right angle).

Good luck with that. :)

Sticky slope shot is possible. First time I did it the stupid thing climbed up the slope too much!

Stroke 10,000.
    Stroke average per hole : 2.64.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I've been fairly addicted to this for past month - perfect game to play up for a few minutes while your waiting, on a bus journey etc

I've recently reached the 2000's (hole 2124 after 5575 strokes) and still going strong but the change of background to pink is really putting me off! Can any one tell me when it changes again or can I manually change it?

2574 here, and it's green.

Turtwig wrote: »

I'm here now, ridiculously hard. Can't get past it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

...is anyone still playing this?

Looks like i underestimated what i was getting myself into.

Damn it, I just installed it again because of this thread.

Shit.

Hole 778.

I've seen a cactus, a little rock, some water and a cloud.

10/10 GOTY

Hole 778.

I've seen a cactus, a little rock, some water and a cloud.

10/10 GOTY

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is probably a deep cut, but given Desert Golfing is the best mobile game and funniest game ever made, I was quite excited to hear a sequel dropped this week - Golf on Mars.

Have played through the first 100 holes and suffice to say it is a masterpiece.

https://twitter.com/manbearcar/status/1274027455741784064?s=21

Advertisement