Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talking to local Gardai when purchasing?

Options
  • 30-10-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Has been mentioned a few times that it is a good idea to contact the local Gardai about an area you are interested in buying in?

Might seem a bit obvious but what sort of questions would you ask and do the local guards have to tell you?

Can you ask about house numbers / streets or is it just the general area?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

BookBook wrote: »
    Has been mentioned a few times that it is a good idea to contact the local Gardai about an area you are interested in buying in?

Might seem a bit obvious but what sort of questions would you ask and do the local guards have to tell you?

Can you ask about house numbers / streets or is it just the general area?

Thanks in advance.

I rang up the Garda station and said I was thinking of buying in a certain housing estate, what was it like and were there any problems in the area. They've no reason to lie to you, unless they happen to be the seller of the house you are interested in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Tried this before and unless you know the guard in question, they are unlikely to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anywhere busy, this will be probably be considered a waste of time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd be surprised that unless you asked very specific questions about crime rates or something that they'd give you any answer.

How do they know you're not a tabloid reporter looking for a story along the lines of "Gardai say XYZ area is not one to buy in"?

Advertisement