Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas lamps in Pheonix Park

Options
  • 30-10-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Many of us know the gas lamps that line Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park, right? Does anyone know if the gas comes from a gas canister in each lamp that has to be replaced or are they connected to a gas mains pipe?
    I regularly (perhaps once a week) see a guy up a ladder at the lamps and wonder what's he at? Is he replacing a gas canister? Is he replacing the wick? Is he just giving the lamp clean?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Most of them were converted to run off electricity decades ago but some were changed back for a sense of 19thC nostalgia. So the person might have been lighting them or doing some maintenance. They were mains fed.

Back when I was doing my college stuff, one of my classmates was from the family responsible for the lamps. Iirc they lived in the park and manually lit all the lamps every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Were the installation of these not sponsored by Bord Gais for the Dublin Millennium in 1988?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

AFAIK the gas lamps in the Phoenix Park run on the natural gas supply from the mains.

Advertisement