Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS Vita Advice needed please

Options
  • 30-10-2014 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

My son is looking for a PS Vita for Christmas and as I don't know very much about this particular console I was wondering if anyone could advise me on my questions as I want to make sure I get the best value out of my purchase.
    - Firstly is it better to download the games for the PS Vita or purchase a physical copy of the game from a game store.
    - The pack I'm considering buying comes with codes for 5 downloadable games and an 8Gb Sony memory card - Will this 8Gb card be enough or should I consider a larger card aswell / instead.
    - My son has a PS3 but his older brother has a PS4. It was suggested that I might be better to register the PS Vita with my older son's details so that my younger son can get more value from the Vita (compatibility with the PS4 apparently - not sure how this works)?
    - Don't know if its relevant but my older son has a Playstation Plus account whereas my younger son does not.

I would be grateful for any advice anyone could give me on this. TIA.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Where ever you get the best price basically. Sales on the online store can be very good but online physical copies can be cheaper again. It doesn't really matter.

2. 8GB is pretty small especially if you are going to download a lot of games (a big deal if you have PS plus). Get the biggest card you can afford. Be warned that these cards are outrageously expensive so it will depend of if you can afford it. You can delete old games for newer ones but some Vita games are 4+GB so a 8GB will fill up very fast.

3 & 4. go with the account with PS Plus. He'll get free games every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bopeep101

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You can delete old games for newer ones but some Vita games are 4+GB so a 8GB will fill up very fast.

Thanks for the advice. Can I also ask, if you delete a downloaded game from the card, is it then gone forever, or can it be re-downloaded as it has already been purchased. Or is there a way to store these games elsewhere such as on a PC? My son has a short attention span and tends to play a game for a while and then change, then come back to it again maybe weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

bopeep101 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Can I also ask, if you delete a downloaded game from the card, is it then gone forever, or can it be re-downloaded as it has already been purchased. Or is there a way to store these games elsewhere such as on a PC? My son has a short attention span and tends to play a game for a while and then change, then come back to it again maybe weeks later.

Once purchased, the game is tied to your account & can be deleted form the card & redownloaded later on. Even the free games you get from PS+ have to be 'purchased' via the store, but the invoice will be €0. This ties them to the account

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

He can download it again from his download list. You can download them into the ps3 either to transfer across but if you have solid wifi in the house, it's not too much effort to get games again from the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 diodaq

For digital download games go for at least 16GB card...and it's really minimum. I've 8GB + 16GB and now i'm going for another 32 or 64GB.
    Physical games have one big advantage, you can sell them once finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭millie12345

Sorry for butting in but my son is looking for a lime green one, are these available here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

8GB is tiny. If you can afford it get 32gb or 64gb.

As for Lime Green, there is this :
    http://m.play-asia.com/playstation-vita-new-slim-model-value-pack-lime-green-white-paOS-13-49-en-70-7995.html

Its Lime Green White.

And buy Playstation Plus for €50 per year, free games every month.

Have you used that site eddhorse?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Have you used that site eddhorse?

Play-asia is pretty reputable :) You shouldn't worry about dealing with them :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Use them all the time. Postage times can be very long though.

• Advertisement

Thank you. Will I have customs to pay on top of this?

Will these ever become available here in these colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Thank you. Will I have customs to pay on top of this?

Will these ever become available here in these colours?

It is hit and miss about customs charges, as far as the colours go it's unlikely that Ireland will ever get a full selection as there isn't a big enough market.

Yes i have used that site, as mentioned postage times can vary.

Id say ring around the usual shops for the lime green white.

Thank you everyone but I'm confused eddhorse is the lime green white available in Ireland? It's on a red man list but I'm not sure he will pay the price on that site. Is there much difference between the colour ones and the black one? I presume the console works the same.

Yeah they all work the same, whatever colour, id say the young fella will be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Only thing beyond the size of the memory card to watch out for is the older son "borrowing" it once he learns how well remote play works - basically he can play any of his games on the PS4 using the Vita...

In terms of which account to tie it to - tie it to the one that has PS+ membership - each month "free" games for the vita are released - you can download them any time once you "buy" them. So if you are planning to get one for Christmas make sure you get this months before they expire (Is it tomorrow guys? or next Week?)

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/

Pix the Cat
    Spelunky
    Rainbow Moon

Not all might be to your son's taste but at least have them in your download list if at a later date your son wants to play them. For example I recently downloaded a game I "bought" a few years ago...

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Taltos wrote:
    So if you are planning to get one for Christmas make sure you get this months before they expire (Is it tomorrow guys? or next Week?)

great idea! thanks for that info. will definitely do that.

another question. my nephew is also getting a ps Vita. is it possible for them to share downloaded games by any chance?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

another question. my nephew is also getting a ps Vita. is it possible for them to share downloaded games by any chance?

As per the charter, discussion of game sharing is not allowed.

Hi, I'm back again with more questions!

I can see a cheaper one on that site in lime green white for€165.39, sorry I can't add a link. Would this do as a starter one that he could buy a bigger memory card for here in Ireland? The red man hates to disappoint but trying to stay within budget too.

Also how can I work out what customs charges would be?

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote:
    As per the charter, discussion of game sharing is not allowed.

what I meant was could a memory card be used in another Vita just like when I purchase a game in a shop that game can be passed on. apologies if my query was against rules. thanks. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

what I meant was could a memory card be used in another Vita just like when I purchase a game in a shop that game can be passed on. apologies if my query was against rules. thanks. 😊

Memory cards are tied to PSN accounts so no, you cannot share games that way.

If you buy games physically, then you can.

thank you everyone for all ur help and advice. that clears up a lot of questions I had. have purchased the Vita now so I should have one very happy little boy on Christmas morning.

thank you everyone for all ur help and advice. that clears up a lot of questions I had. have purchased the Vita now so I should have one very happy little boy on Christmas morning.

Possibly best to purchase the PS+ now and then you have two months of games.
    Probably also best to have them installed already for xmas

Hi Everyone. I'm back again with another couple of questions. As I stated earlier I purchased the PS Vita for my youngest son and have set it up using my older son's PlayStation Plus account. My questions are

1. Is there any way I can stop messages and friend requests for my older son appearing on the PS Vita. I have gone into settings and notifications and unticked the check boxes for Friend Requests; Messages; email; and Friends' Online Status. But I'm still getting a friend request notification in the little status indicator in the top right corner.

2. I done as a couple of you so kindly suggested and went to "Purchase" the free PS Plus games for this month. However the only option I had was to "Download" rather than "Purchase" which meant I had to download the games and then delete them again as I went along as the 8Gb memory card I have at the moment Isn't big enough. I done this on the PS Vita Console. Should I have logged in on the PS4 or online maybe to get the "Purchase" option.

Thanks again for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Advertisement