Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowboy Builder AVOID!

Options
  • 30-10-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

A few weeks ago we got someone from gumtree to renovate my music room into a little granny flat. I had a budget and unfortunately went with the cheaper option. To cut a long story short this guy was a complete cowboy and robbed us from a lot of money. I put my hands up and say we were so stupid to believe all his lies and all I can say in our defence is that there was an implicit level of intimidation which made it difficult for us to say no when he kept asking for more money.
    He fit one door and never brought the other two. I also gave him money for a hob and fridge and a wardrobe fitting. He was also supposed to do the electrics and plumbing but none was done amongst many other little jobs. He left the place in a complete mess and our carpet is destroyed. He arrived late most days and one day he was on my premises making his own wardrobe when there was so much to be done and he was extremely annoyed with us when we confronted him and made us out like we were in the wrong!
    He left his tools behind and had the cheek to come back a week later saying he had family problems and would be here to do the other work but all he wanted was his tools. Needlesstosay we didn't give him his tools. I didn't want to exploit him like this and I even gave him an option - if he gave me my hob and fridge and two doors I would give back his tools and we would leave it at that. Every day he text saying he would be down. I'm just so devastated about this and I won't let him away with this. We trusted this person and now we are just left with a complete mess. If anyone has any similar stories please exploit these horrible people. Or advise?

This guy was called <SNIP>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You sure you should be naming him? Good way to have your post/thread deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Did you report this to the Garda or seek legal advise? I think you should and maybe edit there names out of your post, you could get yourself in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 doubledmusic

I am only naming him so that other people don't need to go through what we have gone trough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

If he tried to do that to me he'd have more than a nervous twitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

@doubledmusic, I have removed the names of the other individuals. You may discuss your issue and seek advise here but do not name the other parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bladebla

<SNIP>

I noticed he advertised himself as a carpenter on gumtree so he then takes on building work ? This guy sounds like he was out to get you from the get go, get some cash and feck off.... cheek of him.
    I would go to guards and have them deal with it asap

slimjimmc wrote: »
    @doubledmusic, I have removed the names of the other individuals. You may discuss your issue and seek advise here but do not name the other parties.

sorry i didnt realise just wanted other people to be aware of this person

bladebla wrote: »
    COWBOY BUILDER - BALLYFERMOT

I noticed he advertised himself as a carpenter on gumtree so he then takes on building work ? This guy sounds like he was out to get you from the get go, get some cash and feck off.... cheek of him.
    I would go to guards and have them deal with it asap.......

I have been away to be honest so I couldnt deal with it until now... I have no paper trail so I was just thinking the guards couldn't do anything about it? but yeah I think I will tomorrow anyways. Yeah he was up on gumtree as a carpenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

sorry but anybody hiring somebody on the cheap on gumtree for cash and not getting a fully itemised statement of works and having not checked multiple other jobs the person has done only has themself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I have been away to be honest so I couldnt deal with it until now... I have no paper trail so I was just thinking the guards couldn't do anything about it? but yeah I think I will tomorrow anyways. Yeah he was up on gumtree as a carpenter.
    The guards won't do anything about it: they can't do anything about it. This falls into the area of civil law (legal disputes between people) rather than criminal law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

This happens every day off the week a friend of mine got 3 prices for an extension and I told him don't for 1 second think about the cheapest 1 because it did not even cover materials and what do you know the cheapest 1 was used 6 weeks later and many arguments later the job had to be stopped total cowboy it ended in court .
    The judge went with my friend and told the cowboy to repay all the cash that was 4 years ago and they are still waiting we had to strip down everything that was done so now they are down 35k + the price of a few skips let this be a lesson to you and I would keep his tools .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭JDxtra

A few weeks ago we got someone from gumtree

There's your original problem right there. It's a breeding ground for scam artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

JDxtra wrote: »
    There's your original problem right there. It's a breeding ground for scam artists.

Ive only had 2 incredible bad experiences of workmen over the years, 1 was a hire from gumtree, lesson learned. Then 1 from that onlinetradesmen.ie website. It lets you leave recommendations, I left them, they were deleted. I mailed the guy who owns the site why were they deleted and he said "I didnt delete them, someone else must have". <SNIP>

Never, ever, ever again hire a guy off an ad site off the internet. For any work now, Get 3 quotes from local guys who are around a while. the price will be what it is for a reason.

So as others above have said, its not really your fault, you werent to know, but now you do. chalk it up to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, would the Revenue Commissioners be interested in his tax and VAT returns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Eph1958 wrote: »
    Hi, would the Revenue Commissioners be interested in his tax and VAT returns?

No. And this route does nothing to solve the OPs issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

No. And this route does nothing to solve the OPs issue.

Yes ... Could prevent people having to start threads here in the future

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

For every cowboy builder, there's 10 good builders like us. It's sad to see people getting turned over like this though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Buy cheap, pay twice....

I've always said that. My SiL always buys the cheapest of everything, and inevitably has to replace it fairly quickly or get someone in to do the work properly. The last time, she nearly came a complete cropper with her log burner (Bought cheap as usual!). The glass blew out whilst she was at Mass :eek:! Luckily, they got home just in time before the place went up.

OP - Buy the best your money can afford. Like others have said, NEVER get a recommendation from Gumtree. Full of scam artists, that is. Ask around friends and neighbours for people they've used, get three quotes, and ask to see similar jobs they've done. Oh - and any decent builder should have a trade account to get his materials. I wouldn't be giving any money up front for them. Either he gets them and gives you an invoice. Or you go with him and buy the materials yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

If you have his details, put a fire under his backside - threaten Revenue / Social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Chalk it up to experience and always go for recommendations from family/friends if poss.

Maybe report him to revenue if you have a name and address. They might be more effective than the gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

If you have his details, put a fire under his backside - threaten Revenue / Social welfare.

while that might give you warm fuzzies it wont solve the problem.

Advertisement