Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI to VGA - recommend a decent adapter

• 30-10-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've got a projector (Optoma DV11) that I connect to via the VGA out on my laptop when I'm watching movies etc. (so using a long vga cable)

All sound goes into a small surround sound system.

When I want to watch the rugby off the UPC box I run it through a scart to composite box and use a composite input on the projector for that. (composite cable)

This has been grand up to now as the TV was SD. But I just got a HD TV that has HDMI so changing over to using the HDMI on the UPC box.

And with a TV that has HDMI now I might change to a media box running XBMC or something and replace the laptop. Most of those media boxes are HDMI only.

So, I'll be all HDMI now.

But the projector doesn't have HDMI. So I need a converter to VGA/DSUB for the projector from the UPC box and the media box (when I get it)

I bought a HDMI to VGA converter off amazon but the image is not great..
    I was able to test it using the laptop as it has both VGA and HDMI out..

Running via the HDMI-out through the converter to the projector is not a patch on watching via direct via the VGA cable. there's something very flat about it.. like it has lost a lot of contrast ratio...

Its probably just a case of a bad/cheapo converter.

Can anyone recommend a hdmi-vga converter that they have personal experience of?
    There's a ton of them available around the web but I don't want to have to buy a few of them before getting a decent one.

Thanks
    Vida

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Unlike DVI, a HDMI output contains no analog output pins (RGB), this is why DVI to VGA adapters just work and why a simple HDMI to VGA cable will not work. You need an active adapter, these work because they use a digital signal processor and a digital-to-analog converter to convert from one standard to the other, but of course they are much more expensive than passive cables, you'll pay big money for a decent one

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Just a word of note I had one of those expensive HD fury adapters that I used for my PS3 to connect to a monitor with no HDMI just vga and it worked flawlessly. However when I tried to use it with my vga projector it wouldn't work the picture was all distorted. I had to settle for a cheap Amazon hdmi to vga adapter which works but the picture does suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭vidapura

Thanks lads,
    I knew that there was some digital to analog conversion involved alright. And that a straight simple cable wouldn't cut the mustard.

I reckon the only way to know which ones work is to suck it and see.

Have already tried one and found it lacking, so was hoping that someone might know of one or two that definitely work.

I suppose I'll just have to order a couple more from Amazon or DX until I get one that works...

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Just a word of note I had one of those expensive HD fury adapters that I used for my PS3 to connect to a monitor with no HDMI just vga and it worked flawlessly. However when I tried to use it with my vga projector it wouldn't work the picture was all distorted. I had to settle for a cheap Amazon hdmi to vga adapter which works but the picture does suffer.
    Rob I have a 3D query I wanted to ask you can't seem to pm you I wonder could you pm me and I will reply. If you don't mind thks paddy

Advertisement