Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba Satellite P100 17" Core 2 Duo Laptop - €168 and Free Deivery

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dodzy wrote: »
    I will strongly suggest you check your link ;)

link fixed

And I'm surprised you have it in for €206 as you have it priced at €225 on the actual thread ( with the discount link ):confused:

The prices fluctuate a lot on that model. It was 229 yesterday without any discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

dodzy wrote: »
    I will strongly suggest you check your link ;)

link fixed

And I'm surprised you have it in for €206 as you have it priced at €225 on the actual thread ( with the discount link ):confused:
    It was €229 on Dell website, after using 10% discount code from group scheme it came to €206.10

• Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its a perfectly fine cpu for most tasks ,very little between the Core 2 Duo and the Dell one in benchmarks.

Saying that ,its an old laptop ,a 7 year old spec and not worth 168 euro ,you'd pick up a second hand one up on ebay pretty cheaply.

The core 2 duo in that laptop has a passmark of 829 which is only slightly higher than the 3 year old Atom n2800 which got 640. It's not decent by any stretch of the imagination.
    A modern celeron processor will get a passmark of more than 1700 and an I5 will get about 3000

When you combine the terrible cpu with the pathetic ram, and the tiny hard drive and the crappy OS you're not really left with much. The battery won't last very long because of the old cpu and the big screen so it's not even a very good netbook. It will certainly struggle with decoding videos at high resolution so you might even have problems with Youtube on high res or other media streaming.
    It's got an outdated wireless card, but good news, it does have a 56k modem so you'll be able to use AOL if you go back in time.

The laptop doesn't have hdmi outputs so you won't be able to hook it up to your tv unless you have a similarly pre-historic setup involving S video or vga inputs.

If all you want is browsing the net, get a tablet or a chromebook
    You will be much happier with something like this

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/refurbished-acer-c720-chromebook-139-tesco-ebay-outlet-2027403 for about the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Let me offer a different opinion :)

For a lot of people a basic laptop like this is just fine. Vista with Service Pack 2 and fully patched is nearly as good as Windows 7 while using less resources. For a very light user, 1GB of RAM is adequate in a laptop like this.

That said, I would recommend this laptop if it was for sale at around or just over the €100 mark. €168 is silly and just shy of far better offerings like the most basic brand new Windows 8.1 Dell laptop some people here referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭dodzy

Akrasia wrote: »
    .If all you want is browsing the net, get a tablet or a chromebook
    You will be much happier with something like this

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/refurbished-acer-c720-chromebook-139-tesco-ebay-outlet-2027403 for about the same price.

11.6" vs 17" - not exactly comparing apples with apples.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

unkel wrote: »
    For a lot of people a basic laptop like this is just fine. Vista with Service Pack 2 and fully patched is nearly as good as Windows 7 while using less resources. For a very light user, 1GB of RAM is adequate in a laptop like this.

That said, I would recommend this laptop if it was for sale at around or just over the €100 mark. €168 is silly and just shy of far better offerings like the most basic brand new Windows 8.1 Dell laptop some people here referred to.
    Don't forget that since it's old stock the Battery will have deteriorated to some extent. The 17" screen and up to 34W used by the CPU will also eat into battery life.

I'd also have a tiny bit of concern re the shelf life of the drive re possibility of slight evaporation of lubricant - so it might not last as long as a brand new drive

[s/]more ram is pretty much a no brainer - you can get 1GB for €20 ( assuming it doesn't have a pair of 512MB simms :rolleyes:)[/s[ - if you don't then pay a fiver/ tenner for a fast USB key for the cache thingy

[edit - it's 2x512 so you'd have to spend €33 to get to 2GB and that puts it over €200 , and you'd still have an old battery in a power hungry laptop so meh.)

EDIT - it has some legacy stuff like Modem , Firewire, PC Card and S video out

BUT no Parallel or Serial ports - would have been handy for a small number of legacy users

Also NO web camera

at €100 it would be fine for typing up your memoirs or watching DVD's
    or primary school kids to do homework on

Its not worth using as a PVR because of the small drive and extra electricity cost compared to that Dell - [edit also no HDMI]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Timmaay wrote: »
    Vista couldn't be any worse than windows 8 surely? Just slap xp on it anyways.
    Vista is fine if you apply all the updates and turn off the eye candy and remove bloatware - use http://pcdecrapifier.com/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61492466&postcount=3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭homingbird

You can add win 8 to it for free then buy the key from ms or get it elsewhere.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how-to-install-windows-7-without-the-disc.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Akrasia wrote: »
    The core 2 duo in that laptop has a passmark of 829 which is only slightly higher than the 3 year old Atom n2800 which got 640. It's not decent by any stretch of the imagination.
    A modern celeron processor will get a passmark of more than 1700 and an I5 will get about 3000...
    Core 2 duo processor is not decent, not what soever! It is a horrible horrible laptop for the price to be honest. 1GB of ram will also make your browsing on Vista terrible.

This laptop is new, has windows 8, a better processor and 4GB of ram with a 500 GB hard drive for 229.

Laptop is a complete pile of junk and a rip off. You have been warned lol.

The Atom/Celeron in the Dell gets 1,028 vs 829 T5200 in the Tosbiha. Not a huge difference. However there is in the graphics

I think the Dell has Intel HD or Intel HD4000 graphics, the Tosbiha is very basic Intel GMA 950. I doubt it would play 720p smoothly. The Dell can probably do 1080p but there would be no point. Neither has a 1080p screen. The Intel GMA 950 will not play any games at all.

Its the other stuff. Wifi G v N
    17" glossy (1440 x 900) vs 15.6" LED (1366 x 768)
    VGA & DVI vs HDMI
    1GB vs 4GB
    100GB vs 500GB
    Vista vs Windows8
    Ethernet vs no ethernet.
    4xUSB2.0 bs 2xUSB2.0
    SD card reader vs no card reader
    DVD vs no DVD
    1hr Battery vs 5 hr battery

I still use desktops/laptops of this era and they are still usuable. But not for long. I much prefer 17" laptops, but I would say unless you really have to get the cheapest 17" the Dell is smarter buy. The Tosbiha is just too old.

TBH, I'd get the full pentium, i3 version of the Dell. Its not much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Timmaay wrote: »
    Vista couldn't be any worse than windows 8 surely? Just slap xp on it anyways.

I don't get the hate for W8. You can make it like Vista/Windows even XP by installing Classic Shell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Vista isn't too bad if you strip it down and uninstall half the shyte that undoubtedly comes with it, loads of guides on the net about how to do it.

Ancient spec on that laptop but if you are looking for a cheap machine to do the very basics it'd be fine. It's very easy and cheap to add more ram and a larger hdd if needed. Upgrading the RAM would definately be advisable. 1gb would struggle to run vista I would imagine.

Advertisement