Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best video game Youtube channels to recommend?

• 30-10-2014 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I've been kinda addicted to watching YouTube retro game channels over the past year, channels like

Retro Liberty
    Did you know gaming?
    Game Sack
    The Easter Egg Hunter
    Dec the Swede
    Lord Karnage
    The Game Theorist
    Adamkoralik
    That one Video Gamer

to name just a few.

But who do you guys watch? I'm not taking about let's plays or walkthrough vids. People who put a lot of effort into their 'shows' about video games with humour and vet high quality.

I know, AVGN of course, he's ok too.

So go on, tell me who you watch :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you tried The Game Chasers?, it's 2 guys hitting markets and video game stores looking for bargain games, good fun

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79268987

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Skerries wrote: »
    have you tried The Game Chasers?, it's 2 guys hitting markets and video game stores looking for bargain games, good fun

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79268987

Oh yes I have, they are good too, only watched a few episodes must watch more of them.

Beatemups is good too, (think I spelt that wrong) OZ lads but PAL region gaming. Seems very difficult to find games in Australia at decent prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Angry Video Game Nerd
    Happy Video Game Nerd
    Clan of the Grey Wolf
    Jon Tron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Happyconsolegamer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I've mentioned him before but MrBtongue is excellent if you want some interesting analysis of games. Just wish his output was a bit more regular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Super bunny hop is fantastic, I mean really top top notch.

Mathewmatosis is also very good and Irish, although his standards are ridiculous.

The rageaholic is also great and really entertaining.

Thanks for all those! So much better than rte lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Somecallmejohnny is pretty much all I've been reduced to, I guess. His review-style is meticulous, but he keeps it relatively light and doesn't disappear up his own swiss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll add Son of a Glitch, I think that series is by A+start. Shows off some really crazy glitches and the guy presenting them really knows his ****, he talks about the programming behind why the glitches happen which is really interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I really enjoy MrSark and his videos. Seananners is also quite good but doesn't put as much effort into editing his videos as Sark.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Metal jesus rocks

The game chasers and happy console gamer who have already been mentioned are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Also classic game room.

Also classic game room.

Love classic game room, aka Lord Karnage. He was the first reviewer I subscribed to at the start of the year. Game.com lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

If we're talking non-Let's Plays then there are a few I can think of.
    • JonTron: similar to AVGN. Sort-of reviews games but focuses on ones that are incredibly poor or obscure and usually retro.
    • Extra Credits: this channel completely changed how I view gaming. I don't think their videos are quite as good as they used to be but if you're interested in game design and analysis, they do a really good job of summing things up.
    • Matthewmatosis: Posts videos that are long (usually ~30mins) but infrequent. Each one focuses in-depth on a particular game and he has a lot of interesting things to say about them, even if his presentation is a bit dry. He's Irish too.
    • Egoraptor: Originally got attention for making gaming-related short animations, but his "Sequelitis" videos are pretty entertaining and thoughtful, if somewhat contentious and heavily opinionated.
    • Did You Know Gaming: Just a channel that puts out fun video game trivia videos.
    • Dorkly: Not specifically a videogame channel but most of the stuff is game-related and they put out a lot of short 8/16-bit animated videos that are pretty funny.
    • Lore: Mostly one-minute quick overview videos to let you know what a game is about. They do a good job summing things up and have decent art to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Errant Signal often has an interesting philosophical take and is great at breaking games down into their component parts. The two that I'd recommend the most to start off with are the Bioshock: Infinite and Spec Ops: The Line videos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't watched Angry Video Game Nerd in quite some time, but found his schtick got quite tiresome after a while.
    C14N wrote: »
    • Egoraptor: Originally got attention for making gaming-related short animations, but his "Sequelitis" videos are pretty entertaining and thoughtful, if somewhat contentious and heavily opinionated.

Currently found working on the GameGrumps channel along with some other 'personalities'. They can be very funny to watch, though your mileage can definitely vary; there are a lot of videos and sometimes you can tell they're just trying to force the laughs by being intentionally stupid or infantile. When they're on form, their patter can be enjoyable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Reviewtech USA

pixelburp wrote: »
    I haven't watched Angry Video Game Nerd in quite some time, but found his schtick got quite tiresome after a while.

Currently found working on the GameGrumps channel along with some other 'personalities'. They can be very funny to watch, though your mileage can definitely vary; there are a lot of videos and sometimes you can tell they're just trying to force the laughs by being intentionally stupid or infantile. When they're on form, their patter can be enjoyable enough.

I quite enjoy Game Grumps too but you're right, mileage may vary, particularly in the last month or two. Going back on old episodes is still good fun though.

I really like Adam Koralik's videos. Does hardware cleaning tips, unboxings, game collection updates as well as lengthy reviews of consoles and their entire generations. No fancy editing or "look at me!" view whoring but able to hold your attention by just speaking to the camera for about half an hour.

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    I really like Adam Koralik's videos. Does hardware cleaning tips, unboxings, game collection updates as well as lengthy reviews of consoles and their entire generations. No fancy editing or "look at me!" view whoring but able to hold your attention by just speaking to the camera for about half an hour.

Yeah found him last month, love his review of 5th 6th 7th gen.

Videos are full of info we know already but so much info in like 30mins a pop. Well worth a sub.

Liked his WiiU year review last week. I agree it's the best system for exclusives right now, and should be selling well for all these games. And would be an idea to 'drop' the gamepad, I have a WiiU since launch, just so ya know :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Classic Game Room is always good, as is Game Sack.
    I used to really like ReviewtechUSA quite a lot but i got sick of it there when all his videos seemed to be pure clickbait. I only watch the odd one now. I much prefer the Angry Joe Show and Projared.
    gggmanlives is pretty good but doesn't have too much content atm. For whatever reason, I could never get into the likes of Totalbuiscut, The Escapist and Smosh games (outside of Honest Game Trailers).

Actually, not that I think of it, Top10memes, while not a dedicated gaming show, has a lot of really good programs on the history of developers and games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Big fan of Inside Gaming as part of Machinima. Other shows on Machinima aren't so great, but I've enjoyed the Inside Gaming crew for a long time now. Adam Kovic has been going for I'd say 5 years now?

Totalbiscuit is another one I've followed for an extremely long time, back in his early days of WoW Radio. He can be a bit much at times, but I've generally really enjoyed his shows.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I saw some channel with an Irish Chap who was playing Space Simulator with Pewds who seemed alright up until he kept screaming and talking over his guest. What is it with people wanting to be as loud and ranty // fake as possible...? I get it, people want to seem charismatic or draw people into their youtube world but if any of them acted the way they do in a local pub I'd have bottled them long ago...

It's gone from being a minor nuisance to being completely off-putting as far as I'm concerned - where are the people who try (or at least look as if) they're being even remotely genuine? Part of the reason I never want to do commentary or webcam is because I typically prefer things be kept raw (gameplay wise) so if someone is going to be plastered all over the vids I DO watch, I don't want to have to endure screaming childish 'AREN'T WE ALL HAVING FUN, YET?' garbage all over it.

I think the problem is that it worked out really well for PDP so tons of people try to emulate it. It's the Youtube version of putting in online multiplayer in your game. The problem is that it just feels fake a lot of the time. Like they aren't actually like that at all, they just tell themselves to hit a shouting/crazy reaction quota.

Was the Irish guy jackscepticeye by any chance? Only heard of him the other day, was interested in it because he's very successful and Irish but his videos were just too annoying. He's irritatingly "Irish" and by that I mean that he is clearly playing it up for an international audience by putting on a dumb accent and wearing a farmer's cap. Watching it felt embarrassing.

I used to really like ReviewtechUSA quite a lot but i got sick of it there when all his videos seemed to be pure clickbait.
    Agreed. That "Be sure to rate, comment and subscribe!" BS at the end of every single video makes him sound like a complete shill too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Like watching AlphaOmegaSin - I find 90% of his videos that I watch are game related, with the odd one non-game related.

He swears the odd time, so maybe not to watch if there are kiddies nearby.

• Here's a couple I have subscribed too;

Rooster Teeth
    HaloFollower (Halo News)
    Gggmalives (Great reviews retro & new)
    JeremyJahns (bit mad but a unique style)
    TotalBiscuit
    CGRundertow (Retro)
    ProJared (Really like the 1 minute reviews)
    ModernWarNegro
    boogie2988
    NesComplex (Excellent Snes / Nes reviews)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

+1 on the game chasers.

Funny, brilliantly produced and they work to a budget.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

TotalBiscuit - he's not everyone's cup of tea, but he and I seem to have similar tastes, and really, that's the most important thing you should look for in a critic/reviewer/whatever term you think is appropriate here, I know it's currently the source of "drama" to some. He also now hosts the Co Optional Podcast which is usually fun and a decent round up of a week's news if you can get past wanting to spend a fortnight jamming forks into Jesse Cox (by the gods does he typify all that the rest of the world hates in Americans).

JimSterling - similar to TB, he's a bit of a divisive figure and in the past, I didn't like the guy at all, but he's matured (and he'd admit that himself) and has given some things more consideration. Recently branched out as a completely independent Patreon funded critic, having been with Destructoid and The Escapist. for reasons, ironically enough, of Ethics in Games Journalism :)

Scott Manley I've been watching a lot of lately cause the Rosetta/Philae missions just got me all fired up for some Kerbal Space Program. He has a most pleasant and upbeat voice, it's hard not to enjoy listening to him and he's got a pretty detailed knowledge of the mechanics of the game (and rocketry in general it seems).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

JonTron is very funny IMO :D

Advertisement