Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consultancy fees for visa advice? Thoughts?

Options
  • 30-10-2014 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Howdee,

Just went through a website in Vancouver to find out more on the new express entry system and possible visa options for someone +35 yrs old.

I got a reply, which looks like it *could* be automated and most likely based off a template saying I could get a 30 minute consultation phone call for $150 CAD.

I would imagine that it's the norm for folk in this business to charge for their time, but just looking for other folks' opinions?

On the one hand, the carrot is being dangled in front of me, as I'll hear from the horse mouth what my options are based on my circumstances.

On the other hand, $150 CAD...........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

I dunno thats seems alot money to me id be wary just for a phonecall, id do more research yourself like contacting the website in canada that does visas about your options or google these guys see if there legit imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

This is the guy. Seems legit - http://www.skilledworkercanada.com/about-us/ but I am still not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

well i couldnt find anything bad still pricey enough tho just for a phone call

Yeah. My gut feeling is, give me a "yes" or "no", and then I'll take it from there regarding application fees, but maybe it's a way of getting you in the door. I think the initial price would go towards the final fee...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is it that you want to apply for a federal skilled worker visa? All the information you need will be on the CIC website, including an eligibility questionnaire. I wouldn't trust anyone who charges for an initial consultation in an area like this, when all the information is online. They'll probably just go through the questionnaire over the phone with you!

• Advertisement

My gut is telling me the same. There were a few questions on there as well.
    As it stands, I don't *think* I would be eligible for a FSW visa. (I don't have a trade!)
    I am just wondering if there are other options open to me or not. (kill the curiosity once and for all)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Well as you are aware, express entry is coming in on January and really no-one is quite sure what's going to happen as CIC haven't announced details yet.

FSW isn't only for trades either. The full list of eligible occupations (including NOC codes) is here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/complete-applications.asp

but if you want to apply under FSW you should act now as you don't have a lot of time left.

I'm going to wait until January and see what way things pan out.

I would fall under: 1123 - "Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations".

I completed a masters as a journalist, but could fall into the above category in terms of a job search.

It would appear I'm not eligible for BC, but would be for Quebec. I'm a French speaker (not fluent)

Advertisement