Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bought item, shop now wants more money

Options
  • 30-10-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi there, yesterday I needed to buy a couple of decent magnets and after looking online I found them in a place not too far away from me so decided to go there to get them, I asked for the magnets and was told they weren't in stock and the girl said they could order them and they would have them tomorrow morning, I said thats fine and paid for them and a torch my son picked up, little over €25 in total, said I would be able to collect them in the afternoon and left, satisfied.

Today before I was going to collect them the girl from the shop rang and said they had made a mistake and that the items now cost nearly €8 more, I wasn't happy and said I wasn't paying more, as the magnets were already over priced IMO, the girl said I could have a refund so I said I would be down to collect it, said goodbye and hung up.

20 minutes later another phone call from the girl saying they wanted to give me the refund by check, I told her that a check was no good to me and I wanted cash back, she said no and I asked to speak to the manager, I was told that the manager was at lunch (at 4 o'clock) and the girl said that the manager would ring me back, and so far he hasn't, any advice as what to do or say next please would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

You have a contract to be supplies with items at an already agreed price. Phone them back and advise them what time you will be there to collect your items. Simple as. That is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Scruffy...The Janitor

If the shop are determined not to give you the magnets, there's no way to force them. If they decide to refund you instead you'll have no recourse. But since you paid in cash, I would be insisting on a cash refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

If you have already paid for them, then the store really has no option but to give them to you at the agreed price.

But s its small value, its probably not worth trying to enforce it.

On the refund,. you are entitled to be refunded in the same way as you paid. - Lodging a cheque costs you money and also the funds are not available to you for 5 days.

As a retailer myself, this retailer is the type that gives the industry a bad name - if it was a glaring error of a large amount, then I would see the issue and they could argue that the error was obvious, but for €8 - jaysus, they should just accept the error and not even mention it.

Now they've lost a potential regular customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

Thanks for the advice so far, the manager still hasn't rang me, should I wait for the call or should I ring them, I've really no problem accepting a refund but need and want the cash refund as I still need the magnets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Why did you pay in advance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Dub12Dave wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice so far, the manager still hasn't rang me, should I wait for the call or should I ring them, I've really no problem accepting a refund but need and want the cash refund as I still need the magnets.

From your op it sounds like the girl is new there and could very well have made the pricing error herself. (huge initial price error, may still be learning pricings for items; manager on lunch, any established employee would do better than that to cover their superior).
    In you paying the difference, it could maybe be preventing her from paying the difference, hence the offer for refund as it could save her paying.
    Either way, not your fault.

Do you have your receipt? Is yes, then I would go down with the receipt and tell them you are now collecting the items you have already paid for.

Is that an option for you?
    kerry4sam

I went into the shop thinking they had the item in stock, when they hadn't the girl said they can order it and that they would have it the next morning, so I paid for my items and left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Definitely ring them.

You say you saw these magnets on their web site. What price is quoted there? If the girl at the till just made a genuine error in totting up your bill, then they are entitled to charge you the higher price so I think you might have to take the refund if that's the case.

I think it's very bad form if they insist on giving you a cheque; it's nearly always the case that you be refunded with the original method of payment, not sure if there's a legal basis to this though.

The shop never gave a receipt, I shopped there a few times and they give you a big invoice receipt, they gave me a card with a collection number on it, so I thought id get a receipt when collecting the items.

Ok the magnets were 14:57 I think, the torch was 5:80 I think, vat on top of that, I paid little over 25 euro, and was told I needed to pay more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

I'd call back now and ask to speak to the manager without saying who you are to whoever answers the phone. Say you are not at all impressed with their service and that although you are entitled to your items as they are paid for you are willing to accept a refund but only for cash as that is the method by which you paid. Be firm with them. Idiotic for a company to create an issue of something that was their mistake. €8 loss or lose a potential future customer as well as running the risk of you bad-mouthing them to people you know in the local area, so, so stupid on their behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

kerry4sam wrote: »
    From your op it sounds like the girl is new there and could very well have made the pricing error herself. (huge initial price error, may still be learning pricings for items; manager on lunch, any established employee would do better than that to cover their superior).
    In you paying the difference, it could maybe be preventing her from paying the difference, hence the offer for refund as it could save her paying.
    Either way, not your fault.

Do you have your receipt? Is yes, then I would go down with the receipt and tell them you are now collecting the items you have already paid for.

Is that an option for you?
    kerry4sam

Its €8 - not a huge error even if she started today. The store should have had her supervised and also used this as an example of how an error can be made and put in procedure so that it won't be made again.

I had similar incident last weekend and a customer got a €30 item for a tenner because a new staff member incorrectly read a price list and did not do a price check at the till. Yes, I lost about €7 - but the customer will be back and I used it to explain to staff not to "guess" something.

OP you could just tell the manager that you will pay the extra, (even though you shouldn't have to) but say that they unfortunately will lose a customer.

Quick update, phoned the shop and at the second attempt I got to speak to the manager who knew nothing of this, I explained what happened and he told me what I paid will be honoured or a cash refund will be given, he also said the girl didn't say anything to him about ringing me back and has been reprimanded for that.
    I've to collect the magnets at 4:30 so I'll post a final reply later, thanks to everyone who replied and gave advice.

All sorted now, I went down and collected the magnets and there was no hassle at all, thanks again to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

All sorted now, I went down and collected the magnets and there was no hassle at all, thanks again to all.

Was the offending cashier there? You should have laughed in her face going out the door,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Was the offending cashier there? You should have laughed in her face going out the door,

Because she made a mistake and tried to cover herself for any number of reasons? You're the type of customer that retail staff love to deal with alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Ah no, no need for that. She made a mistake. She was probably agonising over it if she couldn't bring herself to tell her boss, all over E8.

It ended well, give yerone a break.

Advertisement