Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

beginner motorcyclist insurance

• 30-10-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

iv been searching for quotes on a 250cc kawasaki ninja (or something similar), but most insurance companies will not give out a quote without doing the IBT first, im a 20 year old male college student and do not want to spend what little money i have on training if i cannot afford insurance, I will also be on a provisional licence, so if anyone out there could give me a rough estimate on how much the insurance will cost it would be very helpfull

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Stay away from bikes with "R" in the title it will be cheaper. Butif you cannot afford to pay for IBT never mind insurance how you going to get proper gear for the bike and tax it.

Not having a pop at you mate but its a big outlay at first for motorbikes. But falls rapidly with experience and its a beautiful past time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Best do your IBT by using school bike.

Go from there sure before all these changes I had insurance for 3rd party only on a 50cc moped at £1900 Irish pound

Had a 250 FZR and insurance was €2500

Nobody will be able to tell you unless in same area and all risks fall into line.

They do seem to pick numbers out of thin air.

Best of luck and look at it this way you have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darraghq.dj

i can afford it, i just want to find out how much ill be looking at for insurance as its been impossible for me to get a quote and i would like to add up the total costs before i get into riding

That type of bike would be classed as high risk so not sure what you want if you can't afford.

Do the IBT get all under you and get on after that no point getting insured and not been able to afford it.

thanks, i think that's the way ill be going about it so :) would i be looking at over 2000 for insurance?

• Advertisement

thanks, i think that's the way ill be going about it so :) would i be looking at over 2000 for insurance?

Quite possible but if you do all courses and then do your test and have full licence that may bring it down as some also do a course and test your riding ability and give at times slightly better premiums.

The 1st 2 years are usually the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

For an FZR, possibly. Get a Varadero or similar for a year. Even a 250 of the same style. Insurance will be around 1200 most likely then.

For an FZR, possibly. Get a Varadero or similar for a year. Even a 250 of the same style. Insurance will be around 1200 most likely then.

yeah but iv got a bit of a soft spot for the ninja, it looks well and from what i hear she's a lovely bike to drive, id like to get something that appeals to me as ill take much better care of it, ill have a look out for some varadero's all the same if ill be saving that much money its probably a better idea, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

i can afford it, i just want to find out how much ill be looking at for insurance as its been impossible for me to get a quote and i would like to add up the total costs before i get into riding

Just plug fake info into an online quote site. They'll usually quote you the correct amount once all the relevant details are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Liberty are the best around for starting off imo , get an assessment done with your ibt instructor and you'll get 10-20% off. I'm 22 and am getting quotes of around 550 for a hornet 250 on third party fire and theft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement