Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap year student wanting to apply to CAO 2015 - need help :D

• 30-10-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys, I've taken a year out from education since September and I completed the Leaving Cert last June. I had a placement in a university earlier on and I went to that university for a while but I deferred. I'm looking for some help because without teachers this is more difficult for me D:

How can I go about re-applying to CAO for university entry in 2015? Is there any site with important information and helpful steps I can take for re-applying?

Thanks all :D:D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If I were you, I would go back and talk to someone in your old school. They won't mind helping you. When I was teaching we often had students who were upwards of five years left the school come back for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Did you defer that course with the intention of starting it in Sept 15 or are you looking to apply to a new course?

If it's a new course you apply online the same way as last year except there is an option you can select saying 'doing LC in 2015 or previous year' and you will be selecting/entering 2014 and your exam number from last year and they will use the points you got last year. You then enter the courses you wanted in the same way as last year.

If you deferred a course and still want to do the course, you do the same thing about the year/points except you only put down that course. The minute you put down any different course on your list you give up the place you have deferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EverydayRocks

spurious wrote: »
    If I were you, I would go back and talk to someone in your old school. They won't mind helping you. When I was teaching we often had students who were upwards of five years left the school come back for advice.

Unfortunately I most likely won't be able to get down to the school :( For the moment, I live in Belfast with my partner. My parents down in Cork don't accept me, so it's quite a difficult and frankly frustrating situation and I don't really want to go back any time soon. I'll try emailing or ringing the school and if they're anyway bothered, they'll help out :D
    Did you defer that course with the intention of starting it in Sept 15 or are you looking to apply to a new course?

I deferred it with the intention of never going back :). I'll be reapplying for a completely new course in 2015. I was so focused on getting high points that I forgot what the purpose of it all was xD

If it's a new course you apply online the same way as last year except there is an option you can select saying 'doing LC in 2015 or previous year' and you will be selecting/entering 2014 and your exam number from last year and they will use the points you got last year. You then enter the courses you wanted in the same way as last year.

Thank you, this is great news for me :3 I'm looking forward to applying in 2015 and finally doing a course I'm choosing for myself, rather than being forced into.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Unfortunately I most likely won't be able to get down to the school :( For the moment, I live in Belfast with my partner. My parents down in Cork don't accept me, so it's quite a difficult and frankly frustrating situation and I don't really want to go back any time soon. I'll try emailing or ringing the school and if they're anyway bothered, they'll help out :D

I deferred it with the intention of never going back :). I'll be reapplying for a completely new course in 2015. I was so focused on getting high points that I forgot what the purpose of it all was xD

Thank you, this is great news for me :3 I'm looking forward to applying in 2015 and finally doing a course I'm choosing for myself, rather than being forced into.

:D

Good for you. The CAO end of things is fairly straightforward. What might be worth spending time researching is your grant entitlements and if there is a knock on effect on having an address in the north, if you are assessed for a grant independently as you no longer live with your parents etc.

There is also the option of applying to UCAS and going to college in Belfast of anything in Queens interests you.

Advertisement