Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine Tripping RCD

Options
  • 30-10-2014 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some help, washing machine tripping RCD. Narrowed it down to the main motor (unplugged it from control module and nothing popped :))
    So heres the question, could worn carbon brushes cause RCD to trip? Not at machine so can not check condition of them now. Machine is approx 6 years old so they probably are worn and just occured to me that they could be the issue. Not much experience with these so throwing it out to the experts! :D

Advice much apprieciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hi All,

Looking for some help, washing machine tripping RCD. Narrowed it down to the main motor (unplugged it from control module and nothing popped :))
    So heres the question, could worn carbon brushes cause RCD to trip? Not at machine so can not check condition of them now. Machine is approx 6 years old so they probably are worn and just occured to me that they could be the issue. Not much experience with these so throwing it out to the experts! :D

Advice much apprieciated!

Worn carbon brushes never cause RCD to trip. There are several parts that can cause it to trip. The most common is the element or pump but never the brushes

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Cheers for that. Its deffo the pump, with it plugged into control panel the rcd trips within 2 seconds, unplugged the program goes through the motions..

I was just querying the brushes as i read on another forum they were a possiblity...

Thanks again..

Cheers for that. Its deffo the pump, with it plugged into control panel the rcd trips within 2 seconds, unplugged the program goes through the motions..

I was just querying the brushes as i read on another forum they were a possiblity...

Thanks again..

If the brushes are worn there is no electric contact to the motor. It's very possible you need to replace the motor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I wouldn't think the pump motor has brushes. They are usually shaded pole motors. Worn brushes wouldn't be likely to cause that anyway.

Might be a dribble of water leaking from the pump onto terminals or similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Thanks again..

are you saying main motor or drain pump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Hi All,
    Narrowed it down to the main motor
    Its deffo the pump..

Which is it ?

could even be a wire snagged on the loom to drain pump or motor

i wouldn't think drain pumps themselves give much trouble...they're only 2-wire

if it was main motor i would test the cable and check brushes...motor itself can be tested if you know what to check

Apologies for my mistake...main drive motor is the problem....and from the Bosch website it appears it does have carbon brushes..see attached.

could even be a wire snagged on the loom to drain pump or motor

i wouldn't think drain pumps themselves give much trouble...they're only 2-wire

if it was main motor i would test the cable and check brushes...motor itself can be tested if you know what to check

6 cables going to motor, using a multimeter none are shorting to earth. I presume the 6 are the ends of 3 windings...getting approx 15ohms on 1 and about 2ohms on other 2...maybe burnt out. As said earlier not at machine now so can't check anything else....

6 cables going to motor, using a multimeter none are shorting to earth. I presume the 6 are the ends of 3 windings...getting approx 15ohms on 1 and about 2ohms on other 2...maybe burnt out. As said earlier not at machine now so can't check anything else....

field, armature and tacho

you can check IR with a megger but not the tacho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Worn carbon brushes never cause RCD to trip.

They actually can sometimes, especially sensitive trip switches but not very common though. Called to one last Saturday, was arcing and caused the trip...

I have seen this problem a few times on the Bosch and the motor is usually the culprit, you could always take it apart and give it a good clean from the carbon dust.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    They actually can sometimes, especially sensitive trip switches but not very common though. Called to one last Saturday, was arcing and caused the trip...

I have seen this problem a few times on the Bosch and the motor is usually the culprit, you could always take it apart and give it a good clean from the carbon dust.

not too familiar but i certainly wouldn't rule it out

first thing to check anyhow

field, armature and tacho

you can check IR with a megger but not the tacho

I stand corrected..
    Micky 32 wrote: »

Think i'll get a set of brushes and give it a blow out and see...worth a shot!

Thanks for the advice

field, armature

Yea they are brought out separate to enable reversing etc

Apologies for my mistake...main drive motor is the problem....and from the Bosch website it appears it does have carbon brushes..see attached.

Its not in doubt that the drive motor has brushes.

Well i got new brushes, put them in, blew out around the armature etc and plugged it in and.........it still tripped!:o

Thanks anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Well i got new brushes, put them in, blew out around the armature etc and plugged it in and.........it still tripped!:o

Thanks anyway..
    I'm afraid new motor or new machine, Bosch motors are quite saucy model dependent, might be lucky on Ebay for a good second hand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

the reason the armature shorted is the brushes when worn let the copper feed wire touch the comm of the armature causing it to short, shouldnt happen but Bosch in their wisdom have made them like this for years, usually only happens only after trying the w/m several times, so beware if the machine displays error f21 or has no motor action dont keep trying, check the c/bs

the reason the armature shorted is the brushes when worn let the copper feed wire touch the comm of the armature causing it to short, shouldnt happen but Bosch in their wisdom have made them like this for years, usually only happens only after trying the w/m several times, so beware if the machine displays error f21 or has no motor action dont keep trying, check the c/bs

Its still tripping with new brushes so this is not why it was tripping (as I said earlier in the thread)

Sleeper 12, the damage has already occured, a new set of brushes wont rectify the problem

• Advertisement

Why do you think the armature is shorted? I doubt that myself. Even if the wire on end of brushes touches the commutator, how will that short anything, when the whole idea of carbon brushes is to make a connection from the wire to the commutator copper strips.

The fault is causing an RCD trip, which does not require any damage level short circuits. Likely an earth fault due to water leak, or insulation problem in the motor or its wiring, assuming it is the motor at all.

Sleeper 12, the damage has already occured, a new set of brushes wont rectify the problem

You are way off the mark I'm afraid. I guarantee there was lots of carbon on the brushes when OP changed them. They didn't need to be changed at all. He just did because if it worked it was a cheap fix.

I have seen lots of motors trip the breaker (I change 5 or 6 motors per week) but I've never, ever come across the breaker tripping because of worn or new carbon brushes

Bruthal wrote: »
    Why do you think the armature is shorted? I doubt that myself. Even if the wire on end of brushes touches the commutator, how will that short anything, when the whole idea of carbon brushes is to make a connection from the wire to the commutator copper strips.

The fault is causing an RCD trip, which does not require any damage level short circuits. Likely an earth fault due to water leak, or insulation problem in the motor or its wiring, assuming it is the motor at all.

As said in initial post when motor is unplugged nothing trips!!
    You are way off the mark I'm afraid. I guarantee there was lots of carbon on the brushes when OP changed them. They didn't need to be changed at all. He just did because if it worked it was a cheap fix.

I have seen lots of motors trip the breaker (I change 5 or 6 motors per week) but I've never, ever come across the breaker tripping because of worn or new carbon brushes

There was approx 1/2" of carbon on them alright....worn but not down to the wire..

As said in initial post when motor is unplugged nothing trips!!.

I'm not disputing its likely the motor. RCD trips can sometimes occur when the fault is somewhere other than in the item that appears to trip it though.

It likely is an earth fault with the motor in this case though.

Folk and especially Sleeper 12 I have worked on these machines for decades so i think i know what causes them to go wrong , the wire attached to the brush is quite thick, when the brush wears down the wire is long enough to touch between two strips of the comm to cause the insulation of the armature to break down if the operator keeps trying it to run , doesnt happen with most of the other brush sets, Rarely have i seen these motors to give trouble unless the drum is heavily overloaded or something has cracked the outer tub and leaks from the two hoses attached are virtually nil in my experience, B/Beckham I have plenty of these motors should you care to pm me

Folk and especially Sleeper 12 I have worked on these machines for decades so i think i know what causes them to go wrong , the wire attached to the brush is quite thick, when the brush wears down the wire is long enough to touch between two strips of the comm to cause the insulation of the armature to break down if the operator keeps trying it to run , doesnt happen with most of the other brush sets, Rarely have i seen these motors to give trouble unless the drum is heavily overloaded or something has cracked the outer tub and leaks from the two hoses attached are virtually nil in my experience, B/Beckham I have plenty of these motors should you care to pm me

If you read the ops comments you'll see that the brushes were not worn down. Even if they were they will not cause it to trip

OP has said brushes not worn down. Look for another tree to bark up. :-)

So brushes only contact a single strip on the commutator at a time?

Even if they were they will not cause it to trip
    Indeed. Two or 3 segments of the commutator next to each other being shorted simply eliminates a tiny sector of windings from the equation at any given time.

Quite how that causes insulation to fail on the windings is a mystery.

Advertisement