Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom ceiling light blown

Options
  • 30-10-2014 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

hi all

just wondering if anyone could give their 2 cents on this issue.

a few days ago, I flipped bathroom switch and bulb went and also tripped lights breaker.
    I replaced bulb and reset breaker and thought nothing more of it (although a little concerned about breaker tripping).

Fastforward to yesterday i flipped bathroom switch and bulb and light breaker went again. I reset lights breaker and instantly all power gone
    to apartment. nothing could be reset.

Contacted an electrician who confirmed no power going to mains at all. Checked utility room and ESB main breaker to apartment had flipped.
    This is a seperate breaker to mains supply inside apartment.

This was reset and then tried bathroom switch again. This time a fairly loud bang was heard from light fitting on ceiling of bathroom.

light fitting removed from ceiling and found it was only held to ceiling by its screws: ie the power cables had completely severed from terminals
    and fitting was fairly blackened.

My question is: should a replacement light fitting be enough to resolve this or should I be more concerned.

Further info- light fitting is there at least 6 years with no issue. the bathroom switch also activates a fan.

hope this makes sense and any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Was there any burning/black on cables?

Quite possible connection became loose and was fitting heavy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

Was there any burning/black on cables?

Quite possible connection became loose and was fitting heavy?

cables/terminals are blackened. fitting is not heavy, less than one kg.

cables/terminals are blackened. fitting is not heavy, less than one kg.

Most likely neutral came loose and started heating up and possibly arking.

Make sure cables are stripped back to where they are not damaged and should be ok unless there is some other fault.

Get cables/terminals checked in MCB board also. Make sure all are tight.

Was there a pull on any cable or knicked by fitting or badly bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

hi all

just wondering if anyone could give their 2 cents on this issue.

a few days ago, I flipped bathroom switch and bulb went and also tripped lights breaker.
    I replaced bulb and reset breaker and thought nothing more of it (although a little concerned about breaker tripping).

Fastforward to yesterday i flipped bathroom switch and bulb and light breaker went again. I reset lights breaker and instantly all power gone
    to apartment. nothing could be reset.

Contacted an electrician who confirmed no power going to mains at all. Checked utility room and ESB main breaker to apartment had flipped.
    This is a seperate breaker to mains supply inside apartment.

This was reset and then tried bathroom switch again. This time a fairly loud bang was heard from light fitting on ceiling of bathroom.

light fitting removed from ceiling and found it was only held to ceiling by its screws: ie the power cables had completely severed from terminals
    and fitting was fairly blackened.

My question is: should a replacement light fitting be enough to resolve this or should I be more concerned.

Further info- light fitting is there at least 6 years with no issue. the bathroom switch also activates a fan.

hope this makes sense and any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Its very unusual that a 10 amp lighting circuit would blow a 63/80 amp ESB fuse. Electrician needs to investigate fuse discrimination.

Replacing the light fitting is a good idea but investigate the cause of short circuit also.

Best of luck with it.

I have come across plenty of boards with wrong size tails and also wrong size main fuse fitted even on ESB side.

It should defo be investigated more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

I would think the OP probably tripped an mcb where the tails are distributed to the apartments rather than an esbn cutout fuse blowing

still seems a little unusual to happen

To be honest the way I have seen some stuff thrown up cause can't really say installed if you know what I mean;)

I had a neighbour with elec problem with all lights tripping mcb and blowing bulbs.

So LL got a fully qualified sparks out well to be honest don't know how he has a company as he decided to disconnect bell for door 1st saying that was the fault and also the Night meter had to be disconnected so they ended up with no night meter and payin g full price day and night with storage heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

Par1 wrote: »
    Its very unusual that a 10 amp lighting circuit would blow a 63/80 amp ESB fuse. Electrician needs to investigate fuse discrimination.

Yes this is my thinking too, i'll follow up. Thanks a lot for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I would think the OP probably tripped an mcb where the tails are distributed to the apartments rather than an esbn cutout fuse blowing

still seems a little unusual to happen

Not really unusual. The problem with MCBs in series is that they don't tend to discriminate well for a short circuit/earth fault.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Not really unusual. The problem with MCBs in series is that they don't tend to discriminate well for a short circuit/earth fault.

Yes agreed but for a 10 amp to skip itself and/or 63 amp neozed then take out 60/80 amp in sub/main DB's.......all from a light? PSC factored in id still say its a strange one

• Advertisement

OP said 'breaker' so presumably it's a B63 on the tails, at the main distribution board

it may not be that out of the ordinary as the previous poster said

it wouldn't be the norm on new work imo to wire from the cut-outs in apartments

OP said 'breaker' so presumably it's a B63 on the tails, at the main distribution board

it may not be that out of the ordinary as the previous poster said

it wouldn't be the norm on new work imo to wire from the cut-outs in apartments

My understanding was OP says "Checked utility room and ESB main breaker to apartment had flipped. This is a seperate breaker to mains supply inside apartment".

Therefore i assumed his DB was in his utility room and the fuse that flipped was a seperate breaker to the apartment mains (which he said) which as my understanding is located at ESB cutouts as per ESB national code of practice for customer interface and is generally beside meters and generally in a switch room/cupboard.

Therefore the fault could be described as unusual in my opinion.

Mikeyjames9 - What do you mean exactly by "it wouldn't be the norm on new work imo to wire from the cut-outs in apartments".....i don't quiet understand that statement?

Replacing the light fitting is a good idea but investigate the cause of short circuit also.

Best of luck with it.

you said 63/80 amp esb fuse

i'm saying it possibly tripped a 63amp mcb in the main distribution board after the cut-out fuse and meter

you said 63/80 amp esb fuse

i'm saying it possibly tripped a 63amp mcb in the main distribution board after the cut-out fuse and meter

Oh right...iv never seen a 63 amp mcb in a MDB after the cutout/meter....i would of taught thats a 63/80 amp sw fuse depending on tails size

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Yes agreed but for a 10 amp to skip itself and/or 63 amp neozed then take out 60/80 amp in sub/main DB's.......all from a light? PSC factored in id still say its a strange one

Not really. It's why I'd prefer to have a fuse (with a pre-arcing threshold exceeding the let go threshold for the MCB) or an MCCB in series with an MCB.

Advertisement