Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no internet service in Batterjohn, Meath

Options
  • 30-10-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm sitting here and im fairely up the walls. I cannot watch youtube videos even at the lowest quality, the internet reception is so poor.

Im using a dongle on O2, a huweii 'mifi' dongle. It can be okay at times, these passed two days its been brutal though.

The phone line here wont support internet, we tried. apparently we are on the extreme limit of the '01' area and the phone line wont even handle a megabyte connection.

Can anyone offer advice / alternatives ? please!?

cheers for reading
    redd .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Are you on 4G yet?

Vodafone should have coverage where you are.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/coverage

Should be able to get speeds up to 20MB/s I'd expect. I tested Meteor 4G in Ratoath a couple of weeks ago (using a 4G router with internal antenna) and was getting 26MB/s

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

thanks for the reply and the info man

looking at the o2 coverage, they say i should be getting good 3g speeds, but often that is not the case.

I was wondering if maybe there was a satellite alternative or similar, anything really, just need internet

will deff look into vodafone

GjyQtJG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

4G will be the main internet connection of choice for rural dwellers in the next number of years I feel. What I'd advise is to go to 2 to 3 different providers on the same day and ask them for a trial pack. Take them all home and see which you consistently get the the best speed with.

Prices are reasonable enough for the Huweii modems.

I my case what I was using was a 4G router with wired and wireless capability (and not just wireless capability for up to 5 devices). These are a little more expensive and I can only one of the providers supply them at the moment (I may be wrong). Three mobile in this case: http://www.three.ie/online/shop/productDetail.aspx?src=p&p=data&pid=2135&tariffType=contract

You could get one on ebay which is network unlocked. But make sure its country of origin uses the same frequencies as Ireland. In my case we sourced the router from Portugal. It cost € 130. I wouldn't recommend splashing out on oue though unless your sure you've got a good signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

thats some solid advice right there. I bought an antennae for my huweii on ebay, and it got from zero bars to three bars with its help.

A powered model like you mention, or maybe a bigger, powered antennae might draw more signal

Advertisement