Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead, play a gig in Ireland!

Options
  • 30-10-2014 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

When is the last time they played here, 2008?

I really want to see them here, has anyone seen them live, what did you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

They'd sell out Croke Park quite easily. Would much rather them than U2 or some of the other stuff being thrown around as the big summer "surprise".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

They'd sell out Croke Park quite easily.

No they wouldn't, they struggled to sell Malahide Castle out last time, the only reason it looked well attended was due to the massive amounts of comps given out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Saw them in punchestown years ago. It was after kid A afaik. Was an unbelievable gig. They had the big blue tent and a great light show backing up the set. Same day galway won the football...1998...jezz im getting old

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

They'd sell out Croke Park quite easily. Would much rather them than U2 or some of the other stuff being thrown around as the big summer "surprise".

No hope of selling out Croker at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Wouldn't be suited for Croker at all anyway. They are better than 99% of bands who would 'sell out' Croker anyway. It would be one of the few acts that could be announced that would be a genuine surprise and great choice, if they had them somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Do you not think so? Concert culture has been infiltrating a lot of the younger generation in the last 5 years, they may not sell it out but in my opinion they'd certainly make a go of it. Anyone between the ages of 17-22 who was too young to have seen them the last time who is serious about their music would surely turn up.

Anywho I'd love to see them here in any venue, preferably indoor of course.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If Radiohead did play Croker they would get a max of 30,000 capacity out of 80,000 + capacity that Croker holds . At this stage they would be a perfect EP headliner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Do you not think so? Concert culture has been infiltrating a lot of the younger generation in the last 5 years, they may not sell it out but in my opinion they'd certainly make a go of it. Anyone between the ages of 17-22 who was too young to have seen them the last time who is serious about their music would surely turn up.

In this climate any promotor who is going to book a band to play an 80k venue wants more than them to make a go of it, whoever it is they would have done the research and be confident that they'll hit the break even mark of 50k

• Registered Users Posts: 36,351 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I saw them in the Point in 2004 and it was definitely up there in terms of gigs I've attended. I'd be first in line anyway.

That said, there's little chance of them selling out Croke Park. Their presence in a lineup would see the likes of Electric Picnic sellout though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Saw them in punchestown years ago. It was after kid A afaik. Was an unbelievable gig. They had the big blue tent and a great light show backing up the set. Same day galway won the football...1998...jezz im getting old

I was at that GIG, pretty sure it was 2000 and KID A was released that same day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

threein99 wrote: »
    I was at that GIG, pretty sure it was 2000 and KID A was released that same day

It was definitely 2000, as Kid A came out that year. I went up to it on a bus from WIT with the 'music society'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Really enjoyed the Malahide Castle gig so hopefully they come back sometime. It was on the In Rainbows tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Saw them in the RDS on a dreadful rainy day, i've seen them roughly bout 20 times and it was my favourite performance from the band. Was a decent line up that day too, Teenage Fan Club and Massive Attack supported that day as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

But the 75 or 80 kids who havnt been poisoned by X Factor etc over the last 10 years wont exactly swell the crowd of Radiohead diehards in their 30s and 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Andrew 83 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the Malahide Castle gig so hopefully they come back sometime. It was on the In Rainbows tour.

Complete with REAL rainbow if you remember..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Saw them in the RDS on a dreadful rainy day, i've seen them roughly bout 20 times and it was my favourite performance from the band. Was a decent line up that day too, Teenage Fan Club and Massive Attack supported that day as well

I was there too, great gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I went to see Blur in the Point that day :(

Anyway, have seen them 3 times? Punchestown, Point and Malahide, never let me down. Punchestown especially good, the tent was designed to be acoustically perfect or something. Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

Saw them in Marlay park in 2006, one of the best gigs I have ever been to!! (Marlay park used to be such a great gig venue back in the day, what has happened to it?!!!)

They would be a perfect line up for Electricpicnic!!! Would love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

It was definitely 2000, as Kid A came out that year. I went up to it on a bus from WIT with the 'music society'

I remember the first few songs were KID A and most people were like this :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Sheog wrote: »
    Saw them in Marlay park in 2006, one of the best gigs I have ever been to!! (Marlay park used to be such a great gig venue back in the day, what has happened to it?!!!)

Yeah, ever since they changed the acoustics it's been a piss poor venue eh:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Birneybau wrote: »
    I went to see Blur in the Point that day :(

Anyway, have seen them 3 times? Punchestown, Point and Malahide, never let me down. Punchestown especially good, the tent was designed to be acoustically perfect or something. Wow!

The RDS gig with Teenage Fanclub and Massive Attack was 21st June 1997.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/1997/rds-arena-dublin-ireland-3bd780c0.html

I remember it rained, but I think it held off until Radiohead's set.:D

I remember the weather being quite overcast and cloudy, but dry, during Massive Attack.:)

I think Thom Yorke wrote a song in one of the later albums which had a reference to playing that RDS gig in the rain?

Can you remember who promoted Blur? MCD did the Radiohead gig.

I don't think the Blur gig was the same day. It would seem crazy, if different promoters here were competing to such an extent as to have those two bands, at such a height in their careers, playing Dublin the same day.:)

Edit: On setlist.fm it lists Blur in The Point on 28th November 1997, promoted by MCD.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blur/1997/point-theatre-dublin-ireland-23d44803.html

Edit again:):

MCD promoted that Radiohead gig, I just found a scan of one of the tickets.

http://ticketcollector.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/radiohead-massive-attack-teenage-fan-club-dublin-royal-dublin-showgrounds/

and here there's a scan of a Blur ticket for their 1996 RDS gig, promoted by MCD.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/blur-dublin-first-gigs-1017830-Aug2013/

It's interesting to note that MCD, at that time, was holding outdoor gigs in the RDS and that the tickets for both tickets have the ticketshop logo on it. I can't remember when ticketmaster came in, but it must have been between 1997 and 2000?

In recent years MCD's outdoor shows have tended to be in either Croke Park, Aviva or Marlay Park, whereas Aiken have held outdoor shows in the RDS, Nowlan Park and Thomond Park (for example their Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi RDS gigs).

Pod hold many of their outdoor shows in the Royal Hospital Kilmainham.

I think 2001 was the first year that Marlay Park was used for outdoor gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Sheog wrote: »

They would be a perfect line up for Electricpicnic!!! Would love that.

I don't think the actual venue is much different, really.

I think one of the differences is that when Marlay Park started to be used as a venue, Dublin Bus ran shuttle buses to and from it and maybe as a result people found it easier to get back into town afterwards?

Dublin Bus has not done that service in recent years, although I understand, for example after this years gigs, they made extra services available to bring people back into the city centre after the gigs.

Marathon Coaches has run that shuttle return service in recent times and I think it may be that bit more expensive than the fare Dublin Bus used to have on their shuttle services to and from the venue. (But considering it's a few years ago since Dublin Bus did operate it, it's possible if they were to do so now, it may well also be around 9 or 10 euros return?)

The regular Dublin Bus daily service fare is less expensive, but if people use it to get to the venue, there is no guarantee of them being able to get it back into town afterwards, considering the large amount of people, all wanting to get it back at the same time.

So I guess what might happen now is that people may decide to get the regular daily Dublin Bus that goes out near Marlay Park - I think it's the number 16. They then have to deal with the regular city centre traffic adding to the length of their journey (the Marathon Coaches shuttle service avoids much of this traffic - it did so when I got it for the Arcade Fire/Pixies gig).

But those that get the regular Dublin Bus service, may find that after the gig they will be waiting ages to get back into town, if they miss their last daily Dublin Bus. Then they've the hassle of trying to find an available taxi.

I guess what might also have happened at the gigs held this year, is that some people may have tried to get the Marathon Shuttle service after the gigs, for a one way ticket back into town.

It was indicated by MCD in their transport instructions for the Arctic Monkeys gig on 12th July that this was not an option. MCD, with regard to the shuttle service, stated: "Please note Return Service Only. You MUST book in advance". http://www.mcd.ie/marlayinfo.pdf

So, perhaps it is possible that some people had tried to buy a single fare ticket on these shuttle services, after the gigs, that had already taken place, before the Arctic Monkeys gig.

The Marathon Coach stewards, after the Arcade Fire/Pixies gig, organised the queues of people for the shuttle buses back into town, of passengers with return shuttle service tickets, which I think is fair enough since many of them would have booked online well in advance of the day of the gig, or if not bought the 10 euro return ticket at the departure point at the Customs House Quay.

I thought it worked out well, the bus I got, got back into town in about 45 minutes.

In fairness to MCD, on the issue of transport to and from the venue, for the Marlay Park gigs held this year, MCD clearly stated that Marathon Coaches was doing the shuttle service to and from the venue, and recommended it as the most convenient option, as it got people closer to the venue, than any of the other daily public transport options like the Luas or Dublin Bus.

My guess is that complaints about the venue are more to do with getting in and out of it, rather than issues like sound problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I definitely wouldn't want them to play Croke Park. I hate stadium gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

to think i saw them support the frank & walters all those years ago , they are well overdue a show here

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭antifyre

I think Thom Yorke wrote a song in one of the later albums which had a reference to playing that RDS gig in the rain?

The song was 'How to disappear completely' on Kid A. The RDS gig was the biggest single crowd they had played to at that stage, until headlining Glastonbury the week after,and Yorke reportedly had an semi out of body experience about how crazy the whole thing was...'that's not me, I'm not here, that's not me, I float down the Liffey'...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

threein99 wrote: »
    I remember the first few songs were KID A and most people were like this :eek:

I was at that. Thought I loved Radiohead. Didn't know any of the songs of Kid A, and was too young/Immature to appreciate the change of direction. Spent the entire gig going back and forth for boozes, and gave up on Radiohead after that. It wasn't until years later that I got In Rainbows that I realised the situation - Radiohead were the masters, and I was the folly. Got addicted to playing Reckoner. Got their previous couple of albums, and never listen to the older ones now like The Bends, OK Computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

is johnny greenwood not off doing his own 'projects' ..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Armelodie wrote: »
    is johnny greenwood not off doing his own 'projects' ..?

Yep and Phil Selway just released an album.
    Saw them in France in 97 just after OK Computer was released (set is on YouTube from Belfort)

Saw them in the point on the HTTT tour. An excellent gig too but my I thought their gig in malahide was great. But I really like In Rainbows.

Not happy with their environmentaly friendly stage set up in malahide and encouraging people to take public transport to the gig. Well and good if you live in Dublin! If you care about the environment then don't tour, you can afford it Radiohead!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

First time I heard Radiohead was somewhere in France, I remember hearing Creep and was absolutely memorized and didn't listen to that much music at that stage, I must of been around 14.

Sounds like that people have been at many a memorable gig by them. The How to disappear completely and Liffey reference is really cool, I never even noticed that reference, and the back story makes it all the cooler.

As people have said, a gig here is long overdue, I'll faint the day I here them announce a gig here. What would be the best venue in people's opinion, 02 arena I'm guessing. Sounds like they're better suited indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

antifyre wrote: »
    The song was 'How to disappear completely' on Kid A. The RDS gig was the biggest single crowd they had played to at that stage, until headlining Glastonbury the week after,and Yorke reportedly had an semi out of body experience about how crazy the whole thing was...'that's not me, I'm not here, that's not me, I float down the Liffey'...

Yeah read an interview on that, saying that before the Glastonbury performance, the gig at the the RDS was the biggest they had played to at that time of the tour and that he was essentially "bricking it" before he went on stage and a rollercoaster of emotions came flooding in and it was what he was experiencing that influenced the writing of "How To Disappear Completely" , funny that at the Glastonbury gig, their show came close to be cancelled because the stage was sinking due to the heavy falls of rain and subsidence of the field, that whole Glastonbury festival of 97 was famously known as "Glasto - Mud For It" :P

Advertisement