Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter approaching.

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Tanya30 wrote: »
    To be honest, I am very worried about her wanting things done for her, is it a sign of laziness?

Yes it is! She knows if she doesn't do it, you will. So she just stalls a bit and then you step in and do whatever needs to be done. It's a learning curve for both of you. But she hasn't moved on from the baby stage where you had to do everything for her because she wasn't able. It is frustrating at this stage because you know she is at an age where she should be doing these things for herself. She's a bit behind her friends in terms of independence. But, and this is the important bit, she WILL catch up... Eventually. She is not going to be 19 heading out to college and still needing you to zip up her coat for her!

It's up to you when you want her to start becoming more independent and responsible for herself. Up to now, you doing everything for her was never really a problem. Now it is a problem. So now things have to change. Bit you will have to teach her. All she's ever known is you doing everything for her. So stepping up and doing things for herself isn't going to come naturally.

Btw, most kids shiver when it's cold, and they are not properly wrapped up. Depending on how cold it is anyone can shiver despite being wrapped up!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tanya30

She was better today, she made her own bteakfast and brushed her own teeth/hair and even picked out clothes for later on :-).

Also, I let her watch t.v whilst eating but as soon as she was finished, I got her to get ready for School so she put on her shoes and jacket but came up to me and said "can you tie it up" but, I very calmly said "no, reason I got you to get ready early is so you can spend time with zip" so she tried very hard but kept losing patience, eventually after numerous attempts, she had managed to tie her own school jacket and was so proud :-). I then said to her "see, you can do it if you concentrate hard enough, now you can get longer time with friends".

She walked to School with friends but still wanted me there so she could hold my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tanya30

Why is it some kids don't want to fasten up their jackets when needed?

DD is really bad, it can be pouring down yet she leaves it wide open but on these days I just tell her that it needs fastened.

Nearly every parent at School gate during winter is saying to their child "it is raining, fasten your jacket please".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

velcro

Advertisement