Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many children do you have?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Just curious to see how many children people here have.
    Also, how many siblings you do have?

I seem to remember in the last census figures that the average for 2012 (or 2013?) was 1.5 children per couple.

How many children do you have? 138 votes

None
    0%
    24%
    DoctorEdgeWildMars BaredeldonlonbertsmomIndestructabletannytantansnamenotavailablEVanishingActstoadflyMillypennyoB1saintsaltynutsConbharRoselmAutosportaaabbbbNorthern MonkeyJuicyfruit[Deleted User]Mickey Dazzler 34 votes
    23%
    holly_johnsonlollinc19ash23sonnersDayo93addobuli84livinsanescaryfairyIvyTheTerriblegreengirl31SchnooksLola92BUBBLES1978cant26carrick76CoopaloopSunny Dayzwhats_my_name 33 votes
    29%
    fjonJackieChanCJhaugheydeisemumSmoggyharrytJohnny KMenaorchidsrprettygrudgehuggerHow StrangeMama lion[Deleted User]farmchoicewolfpawnatMr. MuddleFiolinaeviltwinyellowlabradorcyning 41 votes
    14%
    omahaidLilMrsDahamstaNIMANRedXIVRedpuntoocyA2LUE42EedencripesonfridaylukesmomparttimeZubeneschamaliBoober FraggleI carried a watermelonJazbeeclappyhappyThe Royal Scamwhelan2Keisha07boardsuser1 20 votes
    4%
    MoonbeamLarMancon___manx1Rosy Posyn0brain3rhatch03 6 votes
    More than 5
    2%
    foxy06cbyrddubstarr[Deleted User] 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,351 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I have a brother and sister, both older, and a half brother & sister, both younger, but I don't consider them halves, so I have 2 & 2

and in about 2 1/2 months, we'll have child 1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I have 3 and only 1 sibling

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I have 1 child and 3 siblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I have 1 child and 6 siblings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I have one and have three siblings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Four kids, no siblings...always wanted a big family. My OH is one of four.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

2 children one on the way - 2 Siblings ( 1 Decreased)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

3 siblings, 2 children

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

2 siblings, 3 kids

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have no siblings and 4 kids. Husband has 4 siblings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

2 kids, 6 siblings, wife has 2 siblings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

2 siblings and 2 children(twins)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

8 children, 4 siblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have no siblings and 4 kids. Husband has 4 kids in his family too.
    auldgranny wrote: »
    8 children, 4 siblings.

Wow, that's a lot of kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

2 children, 8 siblings, didn't want more than 2 or 3 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Have 1 child. I have two younger siblings, we wouldn't be that close. Husband is the middle of 8 siblings and they get along well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

3 kids in 3 years,looks like I have a long long wait for number 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I have one child and one on the way. I have one sibling and my husband has none so we'll never be a big family. I'm not having any more than 2 as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I have one baby, I have six siblings and the baby's father has four siblings.

I think three children would be my limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

3 brothers and 3 kids( feels like 300 sometimes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

More than 5
    In about 2 weeks I'll have 5 kids, I'm one of 7, my ex husband was 1 of 10 and my current partner is 1 of 4 .. Lots of aunties and uncles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I have 3 children and 3 siblings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭danois

Too many!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Two children & four siblings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

I have one daughter. I have 4 siblings, 3 sisters and the eldest is my brother so I couldn't ask for any better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

3 children & 4 siblings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

No children (why do I even post here?:pac:) and 1 brother.

More than 5
    Both myself and my OH have 5 siblings each and we have 5 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭eildar

7 children & 3 siblings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Macavity. wrote: »
    One sibling (sister, I'm male, relationship grand). Only 20 now, so no thoughts about kids. If I was with someone I really liked, I'd consider kids, I'd be a decent Dad I reckon. But I'd ideally be over 27 or so. :P And definitely financially secure, I'd think it's really irresponsible to have a child if you can't properly provide for him/her.

Ah, I don't know. I think if all of us were to wait until a point in our lives where we could actually describe ourselves as "financially secure", a lot of us would end up leaving it too late to ever have children.

E.g. in my case, we both have permanent jobs, but zero savings, and we rent. And we're broke all the time. I'm 29 now, and if I hadn't had a child earlier this year, I reckon we could have gotten some savings together and bought a house in maybe 6-8 years? But by then I'd have been 35-37. I'd quite like to have at least two children, with at least two years between each. The risks associated with pregnancy increase with age - in fact, I believe even at 35 it's considered a "geriatric pregnancy". If you take into account statistics such as the fact that it takes an average of six months to get pregnant, and something like one in four couples have trouble conceiving ... I'm not sure I'd be comfortable leaving it that late to even start trying.

Anyways creche fees have wiped out any hope of saving for a mortgage any time soon. It's a bit scary sometimes when I wonder if we'll ever be able to buy a house, and if not, where I'll live when I retire! I also feel guilty sometimes that our child(ren) probably won't get some of the opportunities I did when growing up. On the other hand, at least they'll always be well fed and with a roof over their heads. And I'm glad that I've had my first at the age I did, I'd choose him over a mortgage or holidays or a savings account any day! :)

Advertisement