Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rust proof folding knife

Options
  • 31-10-2014 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Im buying a present for someone and want to get them a knife, as this knife will be exposed to the elements I want to get them a knife with a v rust proof blade

and preferably a folder and self opening even

what does everyone recommend for such a task ? any good deals going
    new or SH considered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Have a look on the heinnie.com site. Pretty much every make of knife is available there and as they are in the UK you have no delivery or customs issues.

If the knife is going to have hard outdoor use you want to go for stainless steel and synthetic handle scales. After that it really depends on what you want to spend. Look at the Scandinavian makes which offer good value such as Eka at the cheaper end or Fallkniven a bit more upmarket. Other recommended makers that produce knives within your criteria would be Spyderco or Benchmade
    Look for some of the better stainless steels going upwards in price order such as Sandvic, 154CM or VG10. Above that you can get the superb powder steels which will hold a superb edge but are more difficult to sharpen.

Edit: if a fixed blade is OK for the money you won't do better than a Mora with a stainless blade with a range which start at €10 and are available in Gough's in Little Mary Street, Dublin.
    Just make sure you get stainless rather than carbon steel which requires a lot more care to stop it rusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

If you want to spend a bit, this is probably as good as it gets for somewhat reasonable money.

Benchmade Barrade with assisted opening and M390 super steel.

http://www.heinnie.com/benchmade-barrage-581

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

aidanki wrote: »
    Im buying a present for someone and want to get them a knife, as this knife will be exposed to the elements I want to get them a knife with a v rust proof blade

and preferably a folder and self opening even

what does everyone recommend for such a task ? any good deals going
    new or SH considered

Stick with a folder or fixed blade. Flick knives/ auto knives etc are a no no here in any circumstances, as is there importation, sale, gifting etc To be honest, the less complicated the mechanism, if any, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alphaburner

I'd recommend Benchmade, Spyderco and Lionsteel. All great knives. Zero tolerance are also good. For heavy duty corrosion resistance the spyderco do "salt " models with excellent stainless steel. 154cm, VG10, S30v, s35& 3G. All these are great steels if the manufacturer has the HT right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

http://www.marttiini.fi/Folding-knife-MFK-3-T

Solid folding mechanism, durable and takes a very keen edge. I have one for a few years and carry it daily. It took maybe 100 times opening and closing it for the lock to positively lock the blade when opened and that's apparently common with those models.

€47 plus postage, leather belt pouch €12 and you can have it factory engraved for a couple of € with their name or a message. Comes in a nice gift box.

There's the 3w version also, polished stainless with curly birch scales. Lovely present but the 3T has a more durable finish and will 'wear' better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How about the Opinel No8 outdoor knife?
    Comes in a range of coloured handles that don't swell like the wooden ones, half serrated, survival whistle and shackle key.
    outdoor_terrerouge_gd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

As above, the Opinal Inox is a great knife, I have the ordinary wooden handle one it cost me about a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

For an outdoor working knife, stick to simple locking mechanisms that are easy to clean. Can't go wrong with a Buck Ranger or Hunter. Easy to clean, easy to sharpen and they only get better with age. Two handed opening which may be a pain for some.

Boker and Fallkniven make some excellent knives. Ka-Bar also make some very affordable and reliable folders with thumb studs for one handed opening (Ka-Bar Dozier hunter come to mind)

Don't worry about any of the super steels. AUS8 and Carbon steel are perfectly fine for work knives and are a lot easier to sharpen / repair when needed.

Can you give us some info on what they will be using it for (cutting twine / whittling / dressing game / all of the above) and your budget ? We'll be able to offer some more options for you.

I spend more time picking my pocket knife than clothes in the morning, so I may have a long list for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Swiss army lock blade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Varmint Shooter

Buck 110 they are on Heinne.com .................. there's a 50th anniversary model out now too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Spyderco Endura semi serrated blade in either stainless or anodised.I have been using one as my everyday carry knife for the last year and find it the best on a long shot of a whole bunch of pocket,or sheath knives that I have.Nice and slim no bulky bits to catch on clothes.Practise abit with it and can be opened as fast single handed as a switchblade which is a very handy thing to have.
    Well capable of gutting out a deer to a mouse with it,it is a well thought 30 year old design that works extremely well with exellent Japanese Seki steel for the blade.
    Downside..It can be a bit of a pain to sharpen correctly to literally razor sharpness without a proper sharpening set.All in all well worth the close on 90 euros they want for this blade.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement