Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

light blew in bathroom but caused ESB breaker to blow

Options
  • 31-10-2014 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

hi i posted this on electrical forum but would appreciate ESB perspective- questions highlighted at bottom of post. (I cannot find the correct number on youur website to call)

a few days ago, I flipped bathroom switch and bulb went and also tripped lights breaker. 
    I replaced bulb and reset breaker and thought nothing more of it (although a little concerned about breaker tripping).

Fastforward to yesterday i flipped bathroom switch and bulb and light breaker went again. I reset lights breaker and instantly all power gone 
    to apartment. nothing could be reset.

Contacted an electrician who confirmed no power going to mains at all. Checked utility room and ESB main breaker to apartment had flipped.
    This is a seperate breaker to mains supply inside apartment.

This was reset and then tried bathroom switch again. This time a fairly loud bang was heard from light fitting on ceiling of bathroom.

light fitting removed from ceiling and found it was only held to ceiling by its screws: ie the power cables had completely severed from terminals
    and fitting was fairly blackened.

My question is: should a replacement light fitting be enough to resolve this or should I be more concerned. Chiefly that a blown light would cause not just the light breaker on MCB to trip but also main ESB breaker to apartment to trip.

Further info- light fitting is there at least 6 years with no issue. the bathroom switch also activates a fan.

would appreciate any feedback .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi DainBramage,

Thanks for your post.
    should a replacement light fitting be enough to resolve this or should I be more concerned. Chiefly that a blown light would cause not just the light breaker on MCB to trip but also main ESB breaker to apartment to trip.

We wouldn't be in a position to advise you on this. We do have general information on trip switches and fuses here, but really this is the domain of a qualified and registered electrical contractor.
    Contacted an electrician who confirmed no power going to mains at all. Checked utility room and ESB main breaker to apartment had flipped.
    This is a seperate breaker to mains supply inside apartment.

This was reset and then tried bathroom switch again.

The ESB Networks main fuse and the ESB Networks meter are both sealed, and shouldn't be touched by anyone other than ESB Networks staff. We would recommend you contact them on 1850 372 999 (their full contact details are here) if you are in any way concerned about the ESB main fuse.

We hope this helps.

Regards,
    David

Advertisement