Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campfire recipes

Options
  • 31-10-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭

I can manage beans on toast, but there are people who have a higher standard than that.

It might be nice if they could share what they know.

I also found this link.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I can manage beans on toast, but there are people who have a higher standard than that.

It might be nice if they could share what they know.

I also found this link.

If you can do good toast and have the beans hot at the same time then thats what I call cordon bleu camp cooking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

my3cents wrote: »
    If you can do good toast and have the beans hot at the same time then thats what I call cordon bleu camp cooking :D

Yeah, maybe one day I'll get it right... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Wrap spud in tinfoil, throw in fire, remove after 30 minutes: Baked Potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Pitta pizza:

pitta bread
    tomato sauce
    chorizo/salami
    cheese
    wrap in tinfoil and they are really nice have only done them on a bar-b-q though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Spent a lot of time out bush in Australia, so most recipes I know are simplified versions of home recipes based on what you had with you or could shoot. One simple recipe though that I don't see here is damper - it's a campfire bread that's very common there, as it's so easy to cook. Shamelessly pulled the recipe from the internet, but it's almost to the letter the same way I used to cook it.....

Ingredients:
    3 1/2 cups self-raising flour
    1/2 cup powdered milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups water
    (alternative – use 1/2 cup of fresh or long life milk and only 1 cup of water adjusting as needed)

Preparation
    Add dry ingredients: flour, salt and milk powder into a bowl.
    Add water gradually stirring as you go.
    Now the fun part! Add a bit of flour to your hands, get those fingers working and ensure everything is mixed together.
    Once your dough is forming, place the mixture on a well-floured surface and knead lightly.
    Shape the mixture into a round and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes.

Cooking
    Grease & Dust your camp oven with flour and place your Damper inside OR place your damper on some greased foil inside your camp oven
    Place the lid on firmly and place camp oven on the hot coals
    Cover the lid with coals also and allow to cook for around half an hour

NOTE: The damper will sound hollow when you tap it once it’s cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Oven? Well that reminded me of the omnia oven

1589eeba92.jpg

They are still made and you can normally find someone on ebay or amazon.co.uk selling them.

I haven't used one in donkeys years but once you get the hang of them they really do work. On the same web site there is also a good recipe book

The manual for the oven.

Weight is 500 grams and they take up a good bit of space so really more use for a boat or caravan but some people do take them in a pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Yeah, I was thinking more of a camp oven:

camp-oven-dinners.jpg

They used to be cast iron, but there are lightweight ones available, or just get a pot that has a lid and no fancy handles and you're set....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

Anybody looking for good tips on cooking check out a youtuber called Carlisle195...some astonishing methods of cooking and recipes whilst out camping. I must warn it's alot of "wet foods" and is not exactly lightweight camping. Lol. He has a great idea for a pot oven, I wouldn't carry it myself, but this guy has over 100 camps done this year alone so has himself setup in different locations with gear stashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Hobo stew is a scout favourite.
    In tinfoil put some chopped bacon, chopped onion, cubed potatoes, cubed carrots, sprinkle of herbs and a little oil. Close up the tinfoil in a ball and throw into the embers of a fire for about 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you're somewhere that'll allow digging:

Light a load of charcoal in a a half barrel. If not available light them in the pit below.

Get a joint of ham and double wrap in foil.
    Take out a sod twice the size of the ham. Carefully retain the sods so you can replace them afterwards.
    Dig the hole - keep all the dirt. Little deeper than the ham.
    Fill the bottom of the hole with half the charcoal.
    Put in the ham.
    Rest of charcoal on top and sides of ham.
    Cover with the soil - nice mound on top.
    Leave it for 2-4 hours depending on the size of the ham.
    Dig up.
    Enjoy the most juicy ham you've ever tasted.
    Fill back in the soil and carefully replace the sods - should look like you never dug at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

there's the spud in the embers,
    and for desert you cut an orange in half, put a square of chocolate in wrap up in foil. 15 mins in embers should do the trick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

there's the spud in the embers,
    and for desert you cut an orange in half, put a square of chocolate in wrap up in foil. 15 mins in embers should do the trick

Do the same with a banana, looks a bit rough, but tastes delicious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's also wrapping a skinless rasher around a banana, only ever had it barbequeued but tasty, even though it seems wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I am a big fan of "veggie parcels".

Basically just get your favourite veg and wrap it in tinfoil along with some olive oil, seasoning and herbs. It's delish.

Throw in some chicken and you're away :)

I normally make them up using the following;

Mushrooms
    Cherry tomatoes
    Sweetcorn
    Onion
    Corgette

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Bacon and eggs in a bag.

Advertisement