Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing household bills: best value?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We've just moved into a two-bed apartment and we have to change the bills into our name. We have Bord Gáis with the heating and Airtricity for electricity. I'm not keen at all about Direct Debits and want to restrict the number of claims on my account as a single default will undermine my impending mortgage application. As I've never been a Bord Gáis customer before, I have to give a large deposit to them also. We have, however, just been Airtricity customers so will we have to pay a deposit to them?

As I have no idea how much either bill will be, would it make more sense to have both bills with either Airtricity or Bord Gáis, and is it easy to transfer provider? Thanks.

*If this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Hi you can use this site to compare prices
    http://www.uswitch.ie/gas-electricity/
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Spoke with Airtricity, who told me both gas and electricity are supplied by them. For telling them I was a tenant I excluded myself from a 20% discount which homeowners can claim. Hard to believe that so I'm holding off on going with Airtricity. Is there any company in the market which does not discriminate against tenants like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Spoke with Airtricity, who told me both gas and electricity are supplied by them. For telling them I was a tenant I excluded myself from a 20% discount which homeowners can claim. Hard to believe that so I'm holding off on going with Airtricity. Is there any company in the market which does not discriminate against tenants like this?

Phone up again and say you are the homeowner. They cant tell the difference between owner and tenant on their system

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Spoke with Airtricity, who told me both gas and electricity are supplied by them.
    Electric Ireland and Bord Gáis Energy also supply both gas and electricity. It is possible that there are some other suppliers also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We just moved and signed up with Energia for both gas and electricity. They have the best rates for dual fuel at the moment. However, I think you have to sign up for online billing and pay by direct debit to get the best value from it. I'm not sure how much better off you'd be if you don't want to pay by DD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Excellent. Thanks. Just moved over to Energia, where they've given me an 18% reduction on electricity and 17% reduction on gas. Also unlike Airtricity, they did not request a deposit of €200 or anything actually. It pays to move when companies try to take your custom for granted. Silly Airtricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Excellent. Thanks. Just moved over to Energia, where they've given me an 18% reduction on electricity and 17% reduction on gas. Also unlike Airtricity, they did not request a deposit of €200 or anything actually. It pays to move when companies try to take your custom for granted. Silly Airtricity.

Glad it worked out - sounds like you're much better off!

Advertisement