Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy related issue

Options
  • 31-10-2014 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

I am currently 5 months pregnant and am finding a certain aspect of my job physically uncomfortable.

I have had a pregnancy risk assessment recently and raised the issue. Management made a change which has not resolved the issue.

My doctor has given written medical advice on what I can do to make my working environment more comfortable, and it is a change that will not affect my employer or cost them anything.

However my employer is resisting this change and wants to check the medical advice with our own Occ health physician.

Without going in to the details of what's involved, I'm just wondering if my employer can ask me to ignore my doctors advice if our Occ health doc doesn't agree with my own doctor?

While I wait for a response from the occ health doctor I'm having to continue to work in uncomfortable conditions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Your employer absolutely does not have to follow your doctor's advice. For a start your doctor may be wrong. Also your doctor has no idea how your business functions and could easily issue recommendations that would help his/her patient but would be in no way practical for running the business.

Having said that the employer does have a legal duty of care towards your health. They would be crazy to ignore your doctor unless they were completely satisfied that a second opinion to the contrary was the correct one or they found an alternative way of accommodating you.

Do bear in mind that there is a big gulf between working conditions that
    are uncomfortable
    are physically unbearable
    are actively damaging to your health

Advertisement