Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house from abroad

Options
  • 31-10-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

My wife and I have been living in Australia for the past 3 years and are looking at moving back to Dublin in about 6 months time. We are looking at potentially trying to buy a property (probably a 2 bed apartment) on a Buy-To-Let mortgage prior to coming home. We could get approved for this type of mortgage as we have a healthy deposit, about 40-50% of the apartments we are considering, and together earn salaries above the thresholds which a couple of banks require.

The reason we are looking at doing this is that we are worried about the length of time it will take when we get home to get jobs and then be made permanent (if at all) so we can then apply for a mortgage. With the inflated rental market I'd prefer not to spend a large chunk of money on rent when we can be paying off a mortgage.

I have read about the Central Banks regulations and just interested to hear people's thoughts about what they would do if they were in our situation. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Advertisement