Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query regarding a bank and a cheque

Options
  • 31-10-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of info here if possible.

Names are obviously made up!

Sean receives a cheque from Phoenix Rising Co Ltd (who bank with Bank of Cork) and Sean lodges it to his account with the Bank of Dublin.

Sean is having some issues with the Bank of Cork over falling into arrears (on a completely separate issue) with payments over a loan he has with them. As such Bank of Cork will be asking for, and receiving, a copy of Sean bank statements with the Bank of Dublin.

Obviously Bank of Cork will see from the statements that Sean has provided that Sean has lodged a cheque into his account but what other details will they be able to get a hold of? Will they know the name of the company that Sean got the cheque from (as the company itself banks with Bank of Cork)? Will they even know that it's a company cheque and not a cheque from an individual?

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Just looking for a bit of info here if possible.

Names are obviously made up!

Sean receives a cheque from Phoenix Rising Co Ltd (who bank with Bank of Cork) and Sean lodges it to his account with the Bank of Dublin.

Sean is having some issues with the Bank of Cork over falling into arrears (on a completely separate issue) with payments over a loan he has with them. As such Bank of Cork will be asking for, and receiving, a copy of Sean bank statements with the Bank of Dublin.

Obviously Bank of Cork will see from the statements that Sean has provided that Sean has lodged a cheque into his account but what other details will they be able to get a hold of? Will they know the name of the company that Sean got the cheque from (as the company itself banks with Bank of Cork)? Will they even know that it's a company cheque and not a cheque from an individual?

Any info appreciated.

They won't know anything unless Sean tells them. I worked in branch banking for 20 years and this was the case then. I hardly think anything has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

They'll see exactly what is shown on the statement.

I assume it will say: Cheque Lodgement €500

Have you seen the statement? What does it say?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Depending on what way he lodged it, it could say something like "branch lodgement" "ATM lodgement" "card lodgement" or just "lodgement". They won't be able to see where it came from unless Sean tells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

amdublin wrote: »
    They'll see exactly what is shown on the statement.

I assume it will say: Cheque Lodgement €500

Have you seen the statement? What does it say?

The online statement has the letters "LATM CR" which I presume is the method by which the cheque was lodged and that it's a credit to the account.

After the letters there's 6 numbers (which are the sort code of the bank where the cheque was lodged), then there's a space and a further 4 numbers which I don't know what they are, maybe to do with an internal transaction number in the branch?

Finally the amount credited is also there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Kalimah

LATM is a lodgement through the lodgement machine in the bank I think. What are the four numbers? Would it be the date of the lodgement?

• Advertisement
Advertisement