Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured stray cat

• 31-10-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi

What we thought was a feral cat has been hanging around in our back garden for the last week or so. We noticed early on that its breathing was very wheezy (could hear it from the hedge he liked to shelter in) so we decided to feed him our dinner leftovers and leave out water for him.

Was putting out food for him on Tuesday evening and instead of his usual wariness, he came over and started rubbing against my legs and purring.I put my hand out and he allowed me to pet him too.He's gotten progressively friendlier over the last few days and now follows us about looking for attention whenever we're in the garden. We've also been leaving the shed door open slightly so he can sleep in there.

While petting him this morning I noticed a new nasty looking cut on the side of his body that looks like a bite or he caught himself on something. He's still in great form and doesn't seem to be in any pain because he was still rubbing that side of his body off me as usual and his appetite was fine as well.

Just looking for advice really, as I seriously could not afford a vet visit (can barely afford bus fare at the moment!)

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Featherbubble

As far as I know, once a cat is eating they are feeling good enough. The fact that he is friendly tells me he has an owner...how is his breathing now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭NickyL

Where are you based? A local rescue might be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

His breathing is a lot better now,am based out near Clondalkin Village.

I'd say he was definitely a pet alright.Very friendly and gentle. I've looked online and on the notice board in shops around the area and there's nothing matching his description at all.

Its just the open cut that's worrying me now, as it has the potential to get infected like with him licking at it and whatnot. I'll try to get a picture of it when I get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

good on you for looking out for the little guy and for doing your best for him

but he does need a vet visit im afraid all open wounds no matter how small have the potential to become infected

im no expert on cats by the way a lot of others on here will better able to advise but if there is one thing I have learned about cats is their masters at hiding pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Yeah, that cat needs to see a vet. Maybe someone on here can recommend one local to you who might help given the situation. Or a rescue? Keep us posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

well done OP for feeding the poor cat.
    I can absolutely understand that you cannot afford to take this cat to the vet. Its not your pet, and you dont have the money to spare, so at the very least, I would suggest that you continue in your kindness by feeding it. If you are letting it sleep in your shed - where it will be dry and warm, put a box and an old towel or blanket or jumper even, in the box, so that it has a warm bed. You could put its food and water bowl in there so that it 'knows' that that is home.

As for the cut on its side, if it will let you, could you pick it up and using some warm water, with some salt dissolved in it, wipe the wound gently and carefully with a clean cotton cloth, or cotton wool pad, to clean it at much as possible. If you have some Sudocrem in the house, if you could stroke some of that in the wound/cut, it would help. Failing sudocrem, even some vaseline to keep it clean/act as a barrier. This is what I would do with a dog or horse or hen (!!) - Im a new-to-cats-person, so hopefully someone with cat expertise will come along and tell you if sudocrem/vaseline is not a good idea for cats.

Again, well done for doing this much for the poor cat, and anything you can do for it, is absolutely better than nothing.
    p.s. it would be a good idea to close the door, locking the cat in the shed tonight, after feeding it, since its halloween and you live in the town - being bonfire night etc???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe try one of the Blue Cross mobile clinics?

http://www.bluecross.ie/mobileclinic.html

Good advice above. You'd be surprised if you call around some vets and explain the situation that they might be willing to help. This has happened to me many times as I live in an area with lots of stray cats and they have helped me out with reduced costs or letting me pay in time when I can. I have seen the breathing thing before and it was usually due to cat flu which can be very easily treated. Double check also there's not an absess or anything in the mouth. Well done on minding him, you'll get good luck for it.

Edited to say that I realise you may not be willing to pay for a cat that's not yours either and that is fair enough if money is tight at the best of times. Take a pic and stick it up on the ISPCA lost and found section and also on the rescue facebook pages.

I'll try the sudocream thing when I get home,he's still a bit wary when you get in close to him so might not be possible. We had roast chicken last nite so will give him some of that and try.

He's made a very comfy looking bed for himself out of a duvet on an old armchair in the shed. It's a stone shed and well insulated, and I've been leaving the light on for him at night there too. His food and water bowls are just inside the door. Will close the door this evening when he's in there cos of bonfires and general Halloween stuff, to be safe.

There's a blue cross clinic up in Tallaght on Tuesday evening that I could take him to, just wondering how that would work in terms of payment. I've literally no spare money at all. Am on a VTOS course atm and that doesn't stretch very far after the usual weekly expenses.

Will do the facebook picture stuff too.

Thanks for all the advice folks!

Phone the Blue Cross on 01-4163038 to find out if you will be able to avail of their services for free at the mobile clinic (they also have a small animal surgery in Inchicore if thats close enough for you) Since its a stray and you are short of funds, you will hopefully have no problem having the cat seen to for free. You will need a box with a tight fitting lid, put some airholes in the box, and put a piece of cloth in the bottom of the box, to transport the cat in (unless you can borrow a pet carrier)

As said earlier, anything you can do for the poor animal is serious brownie points for you :) Let us know how you get on, but it sounds like the cat has found a good friend/home with you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I could lend you a cat carrier if you are stuck for one. I'm about 20 mins from you.

I have a few relatives with cats so I'll see if I can borrow one off them first, thanks for the offer though,may yet take you up on it! Will give the Blue Cross a ring on Monday to find out about fees etc.

Just checked on him in the shed there and he seemed annoyed that I woke him, not bothered by the fireworks at all!

Also put a photo of him on the lost and found pets facebook and website, and the ISPCA site too. Can't post any links/photos here because I'm a new-ish member.

Thanks again for all the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Thank you for brightening up my evening, OP. :) You've done a wonderful thing and it sounds like the lucky pusser loves you for it. :D

I kinda hope you don't find an owner as he might just be better off with you 😊😻

Just a quick update folks. Rang the Blue Cross and they can't really help me. They said because the cat is a stray and it's history is unknown, that they would have to treat it as semi-feral and wouldn't have the resources to help. Cat itself's wheeze is back and the cut doesn't seem to be healing at all and is still quite raw looking.

It's still eating and drinking and as friendly as ever. Have tried the sudocream thing on her cut thing several times with no success it gets a bit nervous anytime I go near touching the cut site itself.

Very deflated to say the least.

Ah c'mon? Seriously? Sure you can pet and touch him! I don't get it, Blue Cross. :(

Ah I can understand their reasons, I'll just try ringing the DSPCA again in the morning and see if they can help or know of any places that could. If they can't then I don't know what else I can do besides keeping feeding/letting her sleep in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Ring some local vets and ask if they will treat the cat for free, as you are taking care of her for free, and looking for a new home for her. Someone will help you. She just needs antibiotics.

Will you explain to me dquinnan, because I honestly don't get it. :(

if you phone the Blue Cross back - totally new call - dont mention that this is a stray/half-feral etc. Tell them you have a cat. Its injured. You cant afford to go to a vet right now. Would that make a difference?

You are doing your best. You are making a difference to this animal. Keep doing it. At least it is fed, has a warm place to sleep - its chances of recovering are so much better because of your care. Dont worry too much for now about getting the sudocrem onto the cut. If you can handle the cat a little more every day, you may be able to get a sneaky stroke with a bit of sudocrem on your finger.

Could you go to a local vet, and explain that the cat is a stray, you dont have the wherewithall to get it to their surgery, is wheezing and has a cut, maybe they could just give you a general-purpose antibiotic?? or is that totally 'illegal'?

• Advertisement

Got put in touch with someone who volunteers with a local animal aid by a person I go to college with, they are taking the cat on Thursday and doing anything that it needs done, for free. They've also offered to neuter and microchip her if she already isn't. We've decided to keep her too.

Delighted, huge weight off my mind!

Thanks again for all the kind words and advice everyone!

GREAT news! That cat really landed on her feet when she found you. Your Brownie Points will soar at this rate :) Let us know how it all goes. Oh, and a photo would be nice!

Cheers!

Will post a photo of her when I'm past the 50 posts mark.

Photo of herself, as promised!

http://imgur.com/o5dFzaA

http://imgur.com/E5mhtUg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

She's stunning. I love tabbies.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Me too - she looks so much like our Kitterton, who is pretty much the boss of our house :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Me three, she's the picture of my tabby, Bart who started life as Lisa. It really is hard to tell sometimes!

Beautiful 🐅

Advertisement