Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Car Park Westside: many cars but few people?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭

The Aldi Car park was jampacked this morning and with pouring rain it made it very difficult to move about. When I left the car and went into Aldi itself I expected it to be thronged but it was not so bad.

Would people be leaving their cars there and walking into the hospital or town? I notice a lot of cars at the back entrance to Moyola Park parked at the turning bay so they too it seems are parked for the day. How frustrating that must be for the residents there. Is there a fellow there checking cars as there is in the shopping centre?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Would people be leaving their cars there and walking into the hospital or university?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

snubbleste wrote: »
    Would people be leaving their cars there and walking into the hospital or university?
    Yes.

The question is rhetorical really!
    The car park is tight enough as it is but if people are just leaving their cars and walking away then something should be done about it.

bobbyss wrote: »
    The question is rhetorical really!
    The car park is tight enough as it is but if people are just leaving their cars and walking away then something should be done about it.
    Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm very surprised there are not clampers watching the shop.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Like what?

Maybe reporting people to Aldi (or the management centre if they have one there) if they see someone walking out of the car park without visiting any of the shops. Take the reg no of the car and give it to relevant person. Let them do with that information what they see fit. If enough people reported this it would make management there realise that there is a problem which impacts on spending.

Maybe employ staff like in GSC that check on each car's duration in the car Park. GSC would not employ someone to do this unless they thought t was a serious problem.

Maybe use any existing CCTV to track these people's cars and their reg numbers.

What other means are there to address this problem do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

They do this in aldi in the centre of carlow. People have been clamped after leaving the carpark and not going in to the shop

Sure the same crowd also park at Dunnes & the community centre..

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

Maybe reporting people to Aldi (or the management centre if they have one there) if they see someone walking out of the car park without visiting any of the shops.

What about people who go to ALDI, then just need to pop over to Fine Wines or across the road to the other shopping centre to get something from Divilly's?

Reporting anyone who is leaving the car park would mandate unnecessary car journeys for small distances that could be walked faster than driven.
    As a result, it would impose further traffic congestion needlessly.
    What other means are there to address this problem do you know?

I still fail to see what the problem is exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Ever since the remodel they seems to have a guy in a yellow vest posted outside. I assumed part of his job was looking out for this sort of thing (a car parked for 8 hours is a big suspicious).

I have noticed that Aldi is a lot busier since the remodel. As a whole it's a lot more popular now. I miss the old Aldi, it's nearly at the point I'd rather pay more to not endure dealing with the scrum in there at the weekend.

What about people who go to ALDI, then just need to pop over to Fine Wines or across the road to the other shopping centre to get something from Divilly's?

Reporting anyone who is leaving the car park would mandate unnecessary car journeys for small distances that could be walked faster than driven.
    As a result, it would impose further traffic congestion needlessly.

I still fail to see what the problem is exactly?

People who want to shop in Aldi can not find any car park spaces. One reason for this is that other people just leave their cars there and off they go down town, hospital/college. That, goalscoringhero, is the problem.

Going to Aldi and then Divillys? These people should also be reported if there is a regulation in place prohibiting this. I don't think there is in Westside, at least I have not seen any notice to that effect. I find it very inconvenient if I shop in Woodies and I need to pop into Tesco that I can not walk across the road and return in 5 minutes and then drive off. There are signs there saying we are not allowed to do that. It may add to traffic congestion, in fact it probably does, but that is the regulation and I respect that. They must have their reasons (it may have to do with insurance: your car is damaged outside Woodies while you are in Tesco may be a legal minefield, I don't know) for this regulation and something similar could be introduced in Westside.

Thanks for your reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

I have noticed that Aldi is a lot busier since the remodel. As a whole it's a lot more popular now. I miss the old Aldi, it's nearly at the point I'd rather pay more to not endure dealing with the scrum in there at the weekend.

I misread that as 'scum' which I thought was very harsh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I wish they had bike parking outside Aldi - would consider shopping there if they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm very surprised there are not clampers watching the shop.

They'd need a very big clamp!

I find it very inconvenient if I shop in Woodies and I need to pop into Tesco that I can not walk across the road and return in 5 minutes and then drive off.

Once you don't get out of your car and walk straight across the road being very obvious you will have no problem parking in the retail park and going across to the tesco side I've done it countless times over the years, walk into any shop in the retail side and then walk across the road.

Also if you park the tesco side the signs suggest that there is no rule other than you can't wait more than three hours. I've often parked there and walked into town and never been clamped so it must be the case. Just do a lap around the shopping centre to be seen walking in there just incase.

Once you don't get out of your car and walk straight across the road being very obvious you will have no problem parking in the retail park and going across to the tesco side I've done it countless times over the years, walk into any shop in the retail side and then walk across the road.

Also if you park the tesco side the signs suggest that there is no rule other than you can't wait more than three hours. I've often parked there and walked into town and never been clamped so it must be the case. Just do a lap around the shopping centre to be seen walking in there just incase.

Now there's a very selfish attitude for you.

You know you are doing wrong. What about a severely disabled person trying to access Tesco and all the disabled spots are gone and who then tries to park in the next available spot only to find that there are none because people like you have abused the system?

Do you not feel guilty about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

People who want to shop in Aldi can not find any car park spaces.

I wasn't aware the problem was to such an extent that there are literally no spaces left. The OP suggests that the car park is busy, not full at capacity or overflow. You did find a parking space, correct?
    Going to Aldi and then Divillys? These people should also be reported if there is a regulation in place prohibiting this.
    I don't think there is in Westside, at least I have not seen any notice to that effect. I find it very inconvenient if I shop in Woodies and I need to pop into Tesco that I can not walk across the road and return in 5 minutes and then drive off. There are signs there saying we are not allowed to do that.
    It may add to traffic congestion, in fact it probably does, but that is the regulation and I respect that.

It is exactly such regulations which I question. It does not make sense to me having to join already heavy traffic just to drive 150m across the road to a different car park to visit another shop.

You know you are doing wrong. What about a severely disabled person trying to access Tesco and all the disabled spots are gone and who then tries to park in the next available spot only to find that there are none because people like you have abused the system?

I think you are stretching your argument a little here, and the phrase 'abusing the system' is a bit strong. The scenario you point out appears very far fetched to me.

May I remind you that in the Headford Rd shopping centre, the distance between Supermacs and PTSB is actually twice as far compared to the distance between Supermacs and Curry's. Yet you are not allowed to leave your car in the Supermacs/Tesco car park to pop over, but it's perfectly fine to go to PTSB? That, bobbyss, is the problem.

But since you started to bring up corner cases, here's one for you:
    In some instances, your hypothetical severely disabled person would actually be better off parking on the other car park and take the walk across the road, as that would be shorter compared to the long walk from say the very back of the Tesco shopping centre car park to the Tesco entrance itself.

I wasn't aware the problem was to such an extent that there are literally no spaces left. The OP suggests that the car park is busy, not full at capacity or overflow. You did find a parking space, correct?

It is exactly such regulations which I question. It does not make sense to me having to join already heavy traffic just to drive 150m across the road to a different car park to visit another shop.

I think you are stretching your argument a little here, and the phrase 'abusing the system' is a bit strong. The scenario you point out appears very far fetched to me.

May I remind you that in the Headford Rd shopping centre, the distance between Supermacs and PTSB is actually twice as far compared to the distance between Supermacs and Curry's. Yet you are not allowed to leave your car in the Supermacs/Tesco car park to pop over, but it's perfectly fine to go to PTSB? That, bobbyss, is the problem.

But since you started to bring up corner cases, here's one for you:
    In some instances, your hypothetical severely disabled person would actually be better off parking on the other car park and take the walk across the road, as that would be shorter compared to the long walk from say the very back of the Tesco shopping centre car park to the Tesco entrance itself.

Thanks for your response.

The issue at hand is abiding by the rules. There are many rules that may seem irrational and senseless but that does not mean we ignore the rules because we think they are senseless and do what we like.

There is nothing far fetched whatsoever about disabled people not being able to find a space in GSC. Have you seen the GSC at peak times? At Christmas time? At Easter? How many of the owners have popped across the road or gone into town? Do you think it is fair that a disabled driver can not find any space at all because of that?

Your last paragraph is off the mark. You seem to be endorsing something that is against the rules. You also seem to be forgetting that some disabled can not walk at all.
    Thanks.

Guilty? You have to be joking, I couldn't give a fiddlers about stupid rules like these (it also does not state you cannot leave the tesco car park btw). There is always spaces in the tesco carpark in any case so there is nothing to feel guilty about the example you gave just is not a realistic scenario at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Am I missing something here. Are the HSE offices on the top floor of the building still there? Would'nt that alone account for most of the all-day parking?

Guilty? You have to be joking, I couldn't give a fiddlers about stupid rules like these (it also does not state you cannot leave the tesco car park btw). There is always spaces in the tesco carpark in any case so there is nothing to feel guilty about the example you gave just is not a realistic scenario at all.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I think you may be right about not leaving the Tesco car park. I was trying to remember a sign that I thought I saw about this and perhaps it was in the Aldi car park across the way and not in the Tesco car park.

Lets suppose you park just beside the disabled spot and off you go down town. I come and can't park there and the place is choc full BUT there is a spot right at the back of the GSC where the delivery area is. But I can not get into it because I need extra space for my wheelchair and the space is too narrow.

And you are telling me that this is not a realistic scenario?
    And you don't give a fiddlers?

Please have a thought for and some respect for those less able bodied than yourself.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I think you may be right about not leaving the Tesco car park. I was trying to remember a sign that I thought I saw about this and perhaps it was in the Aldi car park across the way and not in the Tesco car park.

Lets suppose you park just beside the disabled spot and off you go down town. I come and can't park there and the place is choc full BUT there is a spot right at the back of the GSC where the delivery area is. But I can not get into it because I need extra space for my wheelchair and the space is too narrow.

And you are telling me that this is not a realistic scenario?
    And you don't give a fiddlers?

Please have a thought for and some respect for those less able bodied than yourself.

Thank you.

The scenario is extremely extremely unlikely though you have to understand that and I would not see it as a realistic one. In any case I steer clear of the parking spaces along the shop fronts in the shopping centre (and thus the ones near disabled spaces) as I see it as a much greater risk of someone walking into my car with a trolly or reversing/driving into it as people always appear to struggle parking in these spots due to having to hold up traffic to do so.

The whole reasoning you have I don't agree with either as no matter where you park and for what ever reason you are taking a parking space that someone else could have. If I park in town right beside the shop I want to go into I take a space from a person who may be disabled and would not be able to walk in from the shopping centre. You can't go around worrying about these things, I certainly don't.

The scenario is extremely extremely unlikely though you have to understand that and I would not see it as a realistic one. In any case I steer clear of the parking spaces along the shop fronts in the shopping centre (and thus the ones near disabled spaces) as I see it as a much greater risk of someone walking into my car with a trolly or reversing/driving into it as people always appear to struggle parking in these spots due to having to hold up traffic to do so.

It does not matter really where you park if you up and go off into town. You are still taking the place of someone who needs to park legitimately.

Previous poster's comment concerning HSE offices is a very valid one. This adds to the congestion and yet it is not an easy issue to address. Where do the staff of the SC park? There must be a sizable amount of staff there. And many cars. I understand the bank staff (when there was a bank there) were instructed not to park in the SC. If I worked in the SC I don't know if my employer has the right to tell me where I can and can't park. That would be my own business. Yet the fellow checking the three hour rule would soon be on to that. Or perhaps he would recognize staff cars and leave them alone ...
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Time the op saved up and bought a car park then there would be no problems.:pac:

It does not matter really where you park if you up and go off into town. You are still taking the place of someone who needs to park legitimately.

Previous poster's comment concerning HSE offices is a very valid one. This adds to the congestion and yet it is not an easy issue to address. Where do the staff of the SC park? There must be a sizable amount of staff there. And many cars. I understand the bank staff (when there was a bank there) were instructed not to park in the SC. If I worked in the SC I don't know if my employer has the right to tell me where I can and can't park. That would be my own business. Yet the fellow checking the three hour rule would soon be on to that. Or perhaps he would recognize staff cars and leave them alone ...
    Thanks.

As far as I know shopping centre employees park in the car park. If you ever are in there early you see the lots of people arrive and head in who are fairly obviously working there. Have seen people from the shops sitting in their cars eating lunch etc too.

The HSE employees in the aldi case and shopping centre employees should be as entitled to park there as any one, if not more entitled imo.

As far as I know shopping centre employees park in the car park. If you ever are in there early you see the lots of people arrive and head in who are fairly obviously working there. Have seen people from the shops sitting in their cars eating lunch etc too.

The HSE employees in the aldi case and shopping centre employees should be as entitled to park there as any one, if not more entitled imo.

At least there is something we agree on.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Close all car parks as they are all to busy and force people to walk or cycle or get the bus.

Think op would be very unhappy not been able to use car to get shopping.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I believe there is underground parking for the remaining HSE workers at that site..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Am I missing something here. Are the HSE offices on the top floor of the building still there? Would'nt that alone account for most of the all-day parking?

I don't think that there are any HSE offices still occupied here, but they used to use the underground parking AFAIK

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I know the CWO's had vacated but was unsure of the timeline for the rest, hence remaining workers. They definitely used the underground though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

. If I worked in the SC I don't know if my employer has the right to tell me where I can and can't park.

They do have the right to tell you that you may not use customer parking during your work hours. I'd imagine that SC staff park in the Dyke Rd carpark.

Advertisement