Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to backup old PS3 harddrive without it being wiped first

Options
  • 31-10-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

Bit of a complicated(ish) issue here so bear with me. Basically I've got a PS3 that originally just had the 12gb of internal flash memory and then later got an 80gb HD I removed from an old laptop. So far, no problems. It eventually became apparent however that the 80gb hard drive was not in the best of health (games freezing etc) so I removed it and went back to using the 12gb internal flash. No problems there, or so I thought. However I've got a 250gb drive I got from another PC I want to put in the PS3 but games such as Dark Souls 1 are saved on the 80gb drive. I assumed I'd be able to just shove it in, backup to external harddrive, and then restore that backup to the 250gb drive. Nope, PS3 wants to wipe and format the 80gb drive first before it'll even read the damn thing despite it already being in PS3 format and containing only PS3 files...
    That's the background, basically I want to know is there any way of getting or backing up those save files (particularly Dark Souls which is copy protected) from the 80gb drive without the PS3 wiping it first? I also have a sata to usb cable but my laptop isn't picking up the drive when I plug it in.

Advertisement