Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeptoo test positive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Rita not priscah, pretty shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

We'll have to wait for the B test to come back. Going to be an awkward situation for the Marathon Majors. They will be presenting the winner this weekend and they can't strip a title before a B test is also positive.

On another note, how the hell was this positive test announced before the B sample came back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Between Shobukhova and now her, not a brilliant history of womens Chicago winners over last number of years at all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Ceepo

On another note, how the hell was this positive test announced before the B sample came back?

Isn't always the case that it is comes out before B sample is tested.
    not saying it is right but just seems to happen.

What ever about the Marathon Majors problem it won't do much for Kenya 's clean record, especially as they were under the spotlight earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Don't think it has been announced officially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

pconn062 wrote: »
    Rita not priscah, pretty shocking.

Depressing. Hardly shocking tbh.

rom wrote: »

True.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

2 of the fastest female marathon runners in history in the soup within a matter of months. Bet ya won't get the same level of mass hysteria and sensationalism on this forum like there was when the sprinters got busted. Cheats in all disciplines of all sports. Remember that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

rom wrote: »
    And if the B sample is positive she'll get a lengthy two year ban, that'll teach her:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Enduro

Chivito550 wrote: »
    2 of the fastest female marathon runners in history in the soup within a matter of months. Bet ya won't get the same level of mass hysteria and sensationalism on this forum like there was when the sprinters got busted. Cheats in all disciplines of all sports. Remember that.

I don't see why you think this. I think an Irish marathon cheater caused the largest PED discussion on this forum in the last year. Speaking for myself, I hold all deliberate PED cheaters in contempt, irrespective of their discipline or sport.

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    I don't see why you think this. I think an Irish marathon cheater caused the largest PED discussion on this forum in the last year. Speaking for myself, I hold all deliberate PED cheaters in contempt, irrespective of their discipline or sport.

Because he is Irish, and this is an Irish forum.

I've noticed a lot of nonsense being spoken on this forum about sprinting because of Gatlin, Gay and Powell's bans. You won't see the same lazy "they are all at it" comments about the marathon, no matter how many Kenyans get busted.

Anyway, back on topic, disappointing news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Enduro

I've noticed a lot of nonsense being spoken on this forum about sprinting because of Gatlin, Gay and Powell's bans. You won't see the same lazy "they are all at it" comments about the marathon, no matter how many Kenyans get busted.

Well we're seeing different things then, and this thread is a perfect example of that. On the subject of PEDs you and I happen to be very much on the same side (In case you haven't realised it). But I think you let your "poor oppressed spinter" blinkers get in the way sometimes.

Agreed its disapointing. Hopefully if the B test is found to be positive they'll throw the book at her (even though its a pathetically small book).

We'll have to wait for the B test to come back. Going to be an awkward situation for the Marathon Majors. They will be presenting the winner this weekend and they can't strip a title before a B test is also positive.

+1

Is this normal to make an announcement before the B sample is tested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

More high profile sprinters get done than middle or long distance runners.
    BTW the 'they are all at it' comment may have been attributed to me. I actually wrote 'are they all at it?'. My original question was edited by a mod to make it read like a statement. (something I'm still pissed about).

Enduro wrote: »
    Well we're seeing different things then, and this thread is a perfect example of that. On the subject of PEDs you and I happen to be very much on the same side (In case you haven't realised it). But I think you let your "poor oppressed spinter" blinkers get in the way sometimes.

Agreed its disapointing. Hopefully if the B test is found to be positive they'll throw the book at her (even though its a pathetically small book).

Ah yeh, I'm against doping in any discipline. It's just I think sprinting gets a worse rep from its drug busts than other disciplines, probably because the 100m is the marquee event these days. I think this is unfair and that there is no evidence to suggest distance running is any cleaner, just that more non athletics people know who Gatlin is than Jeptoo.

pconn062 wrote: »
    +1

Is this normal to make an announcement before the B sample is tested?

If memory serves me right it would normally come out that x athlete tested positive and that the B sample will now be tested to confirm the results.

Don't know who would be responsible for announcing the news to the public.

As far as I am aware only the Athlete in question and the athletes federation are the only ones to notified of a adverse test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Story seems to be coming from "trusted sources", ie someone has leaked it rather than it being announced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In fairness a lot of the positive tests have been from tainted supplements. The things people getting cut for are bit idiotic. Good link

http://www.runnersworld.com/new-york-city-marathon/sports-gene-author-reacts-to-rita-jeptoo-drug-test-news?adbid=528252646587518976&adbpl=tw&adbpr=14882900&cid=social34798837

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Jeptoo's positive is apparently for EPO so the tainted supplement defence won't wash. This is a huge blow to the reputation of Kenyan running. Any positives to date have been fairly minor players and have been easily dismissed. It's going to cast doubt on all the big names, especially as most of them live and train in such close proximity to each other.

I wouldn't accept the argument about sprinters being unfairly maligned, by the way. Too many big names have been popped over the years, going back to Johnson, and the cynicsim and disbelief has been well earned. For the most part, the giants of modern distance runnning have remained untainted by positive tests.

• Advertisement

Sandwell wrote: »
    Jeptoo's positive is apparently for EPO so the tainted supplement defence won't wash. This is a huge blow to the reputation of Kenyan running. Any positives to date have been fairly minor players and have been easily dismissed. It's going to cast doubt on all the big names, especially as most of them live and train in such close proximity to each other.

I wouldn't accept the argument about sprinters being unfairly maligned, by the way. Too many big names have been popped over the years, going back to Johnson, and the cynicsim and disbelief has been well earned. For the most part, the giants of modern distance runnning have remained untainted by positive tests.

Pretty stupid to get caught on epo, as ways around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Really doesn't look good after her winning both the Boston and Chicago marathon in the last 2 years. Anyone know how long it usually takes for the B sample results to come back?

Apparently WADA are helping Kenya set up an anti-doping agency since they don't really have a proper structure in place. Could be the first of many positive tests to come.

Link: http://www.athletics-africa.com/s/news/africa/kenya/wada-help-kenya-form-new-anti-doping-body-9159

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

pa4 wrote: »
    Really doesn't look good after her winning both the Boston and Chicago marathon in the last 2 years. Anyone know how long it usually takes for the B sample results to come back?

Apparently WADA are helping Kenya set up an anti-doping agency since they don't really have a proper structure in place. Could be the first of many positive tests to come.

Link: http://www.athletics-africa.com/s/news/africa/kenya/wada-help-kenya-form-new-anti-doping-body-9159

It's been known to take 2-4 weeks.

Ah yeh, I'm against doping in any discipline. It's just I think sprinting gets a worse rep from its drug busts than other disciplines, probably because the 100m is the marquee event these days. I think this is unfair and that there is no evidence to suggest distance running is any cleaner, just that more non athletics people know who Gatlin is than Jeptoo.

tbh I believe that some parts of distance running is as dirty if not more than the sprints. If I wanted to evade paying my tv license I would move in with a load of students.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/9647354/Wada-says-there-is-no-blood-testing-for-EPO-in-Kenyas-big-training-centre-for-distance-runners.html

Pretty stupid to get caught on epo, as ways around it.

Sure is. A huge amount of derivatives out there and many of them undetectable apparently. But perhaps the lack of controls within Kenya led to complacency, or somebody was trying to do things on the cheap.

Sandwell wrote: »

Lol. Explain the huge drop in times in the men's 1500m, 3000m, 5000m and 10000m once the EPO era started in the early to mid 90s. Nobody has got close to these times in the last 8 years or so. There's plenty of stories about distance greats but it's behind the scenes stuff. Hearsay I guess.

Don't get me started on the women's world records. Turtle juice my @rse.

I've no issue with people thinking sprinting is dirty. It's the nonsense that distance running is cleaner that gets on my goat. Sure look at the amount of filthy cheats that did Sonia out of medals over the years.

Lol. Explain the huge drop in times in the men's 1500m, 3000m, 5000m and 10000m once the EPO era started in the early to mid 90s. Nobody has got close to these times in the last 8 years or so. There's plenty of stories about distance greats but it's behind the scenes stuff. Hearsay I guess.

I've no issue with people thinking sprinting is dirty. It's the nonsense that distance running is cleaner that gets on my goat. Sure look at the amount of filthy cheats that did Sonia out of medals over the years.

No arguments there. I'm a sceptic. Perception is everything though, and top sprinters, male and female, have been consistently caught out over the years. Top distance runners, particularly marathon runners, have not. Until that changes many people will understandably be more cynical about sprinting. And the whole Gatlin thing is a stain on sport, full stop, imo.

It's nonsense to think athletics is clean or that any sport is.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 chrissymc

Was said on tv this morning that 32 Kenyans had positive doping results over 3 year period!! So makes you wonder about their marathon results in DCM, Boston, New York etc

• Advertisement

http://www.alltime-athletics.com/mmaraok.htm

sub 2:10.27 times

127 times of sub that in 2014
    215 times of sub that in 2013
    228 times of sub that in 2012
    219 times of sub that in 2011
    185 times of sub that in 2010
    145 times of sub that in 2009
    131 times of sub that in 2008

interesting. I know there is a few to go this year but it will be much less that 2011-2013

Advertisement