Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just destroyed table top

Options
  • 31-10-2014 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Hope I have the right forum for help with this.

Like an eejit I sprayed cleaner on the table top and forgot about it. Now the varnish is discoloured and peels off with a rub of a thumb nail.

This wouldn't be a problem but it's a rented house and not our table :o

I've attached a photo of the table top. I imagine it's clear varnish but I know SFA about these things. Is this something I can remedy myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Odelay

Hey Conn, it doesn't look too bad and at least it's solid wood and not veneer. As a quick/cheap fix try sanding with 80, then 100 then 120 grit paper, orange coloured Garnet is a good brand, don't use "sand" coloured paper, it's a waste of time. Most important, use a sanding block/cork, best chance of getting a good finish. Also don't do what I did on my first day as an apprentice and scrub in circles! Straight lines in the direction of the grain.
    After that a gentle coat of satin varnish, might need a rub of soft wire woll in between dried coats.
    You could completely strip it but then you're removing the varnish off the edges, it you're not sure what you are doing you really want to avoid that, end grain can be the hardest to get right.

Advertisement