Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving my landlord notice

Options
  • 31-10-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Very confused here as to how much notice I am to give my landlord.

I just bought a house on tuesday and want to give my landlord notice of my intention to vacate the property.

I have been renting there for 2 years and 2 months.

I signed a lease agreement for 1 year.

I never signed another after that.

Two months ago my landlord said that he was going to ask me to sign another lease but never came back to me.

So, I think this means I have rights and responsibilities under a part 4 tenancy agreement.

So, my question is do I give my landlord 56 days notice? Or 42 days notice since my lease lapsed 14 months ago.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Hi Everyone,

Very confused here as to how much notice I am to give my landlord.

I just bought a house on tuesday and want to give my landlord notice of my intention to vacate the property.

I have been renting there for 2 years and 2 months.

I signed a lease agreement for 1 year.

I never signed another after that.

Two months ago my landlord said that he was going to ask me to sign another lease but never came back to me.

So, I think this means I have rights and responsibilities under a part 4 tenancy agreement.

So, my question is do I give my landlord 56 days notice? Or 42 days notice since my lease lapsed 14 months ago.

Thanks.

You must give 8 weeks ( 56 days) notice as you have been in a tenancy for over 2 years, the initial lease ending does not mean you take the lease time out of the notice period. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html#l1f4da

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

I gave my landlord the 56 days notice... but I think he was disappointed because that means I move out on 27th of December. Not a great time for people looking for accommodation... I downloaded the sample letter from the PRTB website but added a clause saying that the date can be changed if it is agreeable to both parties. Then I had us both sign it.

I think he is one of those accidental landlords that don't really understand their rights and obligations with respect to letting... so, I could have gotten away with 30 days (sigh)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I gave my landlord the 56 days notice... but I think he was disappointed because that means I move out on 27th of December. Not a great time for people looking for accommodation... I downloaded the sample letter from the PRTB website but added a clause saying that the date can be changed if it is agreeable to both parties. Then I had us both sign it.

I think he is one of those accidental landlords that don't really understand their rights and obligations with respect to letting... so, I could have gotten away with 30 days (sigh)

If you have the keys to your new house, why not discuss with the landlord if it would suit to vacate sooner?

We recently bought and our landlord was entitled to 56 days notice however we agreed to leave sooner and it suited her also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I gave my landlord the 56 days notice... but I think he was disappointed because that means I move out on 27th of December. Not a great time for people looking for accommodation...

Not sure where you are but Dublin has a massive shortage of properties so it wont be empty for long. I even know someone who will be looking for somewhere around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

We did that last time we moved but the post above is right, why not offer to move out earlier so he has a better chance of re-letting quickly? Would be win-win for all concerned.

• Advertisement

Yes I did, said I still planned on being out in 30 days.

Yes I did, said I still planned on being out in 30 days.

Ah but only do it if he's happy to leave you off paying just the 30 days rent.

Of course, i'd be some mug leaving after 30 days and paying him 2 months and him getting an extra 1650 euro from someone else to boot.

Just checking. :-)
    Had some friends of mine who got bullied into leaving after only a fortnight and putting themselves under enormous stress only to get stiffed on both the rent and deposit.

Advertisement