Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30fps or 60fps ???

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

C14N wrote: »
    Doesn't that require a special monitor?

Yea, there are a few G-Sync branded monitors starting to appear in the marketplace now - all expensive high end stuff as one would expect for Power Master Race Enthusiasts with more money than sense who are the early adopters of any shiny new tech regardless of its potential for long term success or not :) See here for examples: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?catid=948&groupid=17

I remember when you absolutely had to have a minimum of 125fps in Quake 3 to play it properly at a competitive level. I never played CS in a very serious way, but I believe FPS has been a concern for them too. Starcraft 2 too also needs to make sure you don't suffer any slow-down or frame drops in death-ball battles - if you're mouse is jumping on the screen cause of frame rate issues, then you can't micro and you're dead.

My monitors are all 60Hz, so I tend to aim for a solid 60 at all times, and am happy to turn down graphical fidelity and VSync on to get it. I tend towards competitive multiplayer FPS' so no surprises there, but a consistent and solid 30fps in a non-competitive game like Assasasin's Creed or Mass Effect is grand. 60 is better, there's zero arguments to be made by anyone to suggest otherwise. At the same time, I think a solid 30 over a flaky 60 is better.

Advertisement