Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Cutra 24th May 2015

Options
  • 31-10-2014 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

Lough Cutra date is 24th May 2015, early bird entry for the Oly is €63, and sure to get much, much, higher (other distances also being held). Personally I liked this race in 2014, though it was very well organised. Family friendly in that they have a kids series too.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Had been thinking about doing the half there, but not at that price. Jaysus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the swim was cool. the bike okay, the run not great. not signing up till i see is there something else on similar time instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Had been thinking about doing the half there, but not at that price. Jaysus.

Yeah it looks like even these "early bird specials" are dearer than their equivalent last year:

2014 early bird pricing: Oly €53, kids 11/12 €18, kids 8/10 €14
    2015 early bird pricing: Oly €63, kids 11/12 €25, kids 8/10 €21

(All the above FWIW, no-one has a gun to their head to enter etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Wow €126 for the half.

Highest Irish race entry I've seen. (Exc IM70.3)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Fazz wrote: »
    Wow €126 for the half.

Highest Irish race entry I've seen. (Exc IM70.3)

Could it be the IM 70.3 effect already? As in, they know people will pay those price for IM races, so why not similar races of the same distance??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I paid €105 for the half this year.

There was roughly only 80 competitors taking part & I doubt they'll even get that next year at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I be shocked if its not one of the super series races selected next year. Was down last year spectating and seemed to be pretty well organized. Really liked the staggered transitions where you could rock up and rack before your wave and not have to rack at stupid o clock. I know a lot of the lads felt parts of the run was through a field that was quite lumpy and not a worn trail and some of the faster guys felt that the waves start left the course very busy on single track making it impossible to pass on certain sections of the course. More akin to cross country or trail running if that's your thing. There was a clear advantage to the first wave who got on the run course early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

To be fair to the organisers they seem to be setting up a trend of quality races that have the potential to compete with the Challenge family and IM events as a third event brand. They definitely target a different audience that both of the big brands are overlooking with the immense focus on imvolvement for the entire family.

I was involved last year with run recces etc but nothing planned as yet for this year. I've no comment on the prices but I have asked the question of the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Any idea if this is likely to be NS again or too soon to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Basster wrote: »
    Any idea if this is likely to be NS again or too soon to say?

A cynic would say yes, given what happened last year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2 billy14

A few more optomists.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=205dbb306a97aa6a11b879bf8&id=561a8fb821&e=8887495158

I see the 30% off is extended only for Irish residents. Presume this will be moderated by the TI cards and with the Standard race being NS it should get snapped up sooner rather than later.

Apparently there are 80 in for the Gauntlet Half at this stage and there is work being done on the run course and mount / dismount area for all races.

I've yet to see the run route improvements (or discuss them) but I know last year was an improvement on 2013 so they are listening to people obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

AKW wrote: »
    http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=205dbb306a97aa6a11b879bf8&id=561a8fb821&e=8887495158

I see the 30% off is extended only for Irish residents. Presume this will be moderated by the TI cards and with the Standard race being NS it should get snapped up sooner rather than later.

Apparently there are 80 in for the Gauntlet Half at this stage and there is work being done on the run course and mount / dismount area for all races.

I've yet to see the run route improvements (or discuss them) but I know last year was an improvement on 2013 so they are listening to people obviously.

With the prize money that was on offer for the HIM I'd imagine there will be a strong field entered this year

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

I was third in the him last yr. prize money was v good. Would go back next yr but too close to im austria (28 june). If they could sort out a few bits on the run it would be great. Wouldnt change a thing about the swim or bike.

Is 5 weeks from Austria too close?

Still thinking of Lough Cutra half myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Me too - I am out the same day as ye! I don't see it as a major problem - my guess is it will be a bit of a slog as this will be done during peak training with no tapering

But I would like to do at least one race beforehand and we dont have much choice really at the time of year, can't see me doing too many later on in the summer after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

its perfect or ****e depending on what you are planing

peter kern wrote: »
    its perfect or ****e depending on what you are planing

Well I doubt I'll have the discipline to use it as a 'training' run out...but it wouldn't be a target race either so smack in the middle of heavy training and no proper taper (maybe a mini taper). Don't really want to disrupt training at that stage either with recovering from a race but would like to get a long run out beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

I picked up an injury in my foot and couldnt run for two weeks.

Also found i took it easy week before as i wanted a good race abd then normally a week to recover - maybe a day or two more. So i think a biy too close for that especially if u then need a two week taper.

Do it as training prob ok but whats the point in spending that sort of cash for training. You can do that at home for free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

There is no way I could come close in a training session to a race and I think if people have the money to do an
    Mr Tango wrote: »
    I picked up an injury in my foot and couldnt run for two weeks.

Also found i took it easy week before as i wanted a good race abd then normally a week to recover - maybe a day or two more. So i think a biy too close for that especially if u then need a two week taper.

Do it as training prob ok but whats the point in spending that sort of cash for training. You can do that at home for free

this is back on my radar so was having a look. run course map for 2014 seems to be the same as last year.

To be fair the route is the same '13 - '14 but more of the offroad sections were filled, levelled and rolled. I would say this is what is in the plans for '15 as well, but I would assume that this is down to the Lough Cutra estate itself as to where it spends money developing.

To be fair the route is the same '13 - '14 but more of the offroad sections were filled, levelled and rolled. I would say this is what is in the plans for '15 as well, but I would assume that this is down to the Lough Cutra estate itself as to where it spends money developing.

ah understand now Sean, thanks for the clarification

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Man, those prices are tasty!!! :eek:

I am still considering it, still a bit pricy for my liking but the timing isn't too bad and its relatively local so the other expenses are minimal

Racoon you decided on this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Will the lean & mean CW be able to manage the cold fresh water temperatures of May? ;)

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Will the lean & mean CW be able to manage the cold fresh water temperatures of May? ;)

I certainly wont take criticism or sneering from you Posh Spice when it comes to early open water swimming. Sure you have your holidays set for May each year so you can practice in warm water ;)

Advertisement