Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos & Recycling

Options
  • 31-10-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Are they not obliged under the legislation to take back old electrical units for recycling.

Item is a mini oven which I bought and wanted them to take the old unit a few days later.
    Thank you for your email regarding your recent purchase.

I am sorry but we do not take back any old appliances, please take this to your local recycling centre or local tip to discard of this item. I am sorry for any inconvenience causes by this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,052 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is very likely the UK staff haven't got a bloody clue about Irish laws. They have no obligation to collect though - did you attempt to drop it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

MYOB wrote: »
    It is very likely the UK staff haven't got a bloody clue about Irish laws. They have no obligation to collect though - did you attempt to drop it back?

I saw that but my email was to ifo@argos.ie, no surprise there anyway.

I vaguely remember bringing something down when purchasing a new one.

Only way I have of returning this oven is by walking down or taxi, so just wanted to make sure they will take it.

Do they not have any store contact numbers:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The email is most likely manned by their UK contact centre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Under WEEE regulations retailers are required to accept like-for-like waste for a limited period after purchase, but they are only obliged to collect the waste if they are delivering the new item and you have the old one disconnected and ready to take away at the same time as delivery. As you didn't want them to take the old one away until a few days later they are not obliged to come back and collect it. If you can deliver it to them at one of their stores within 30 days then they must accept it and for free.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/waste_management_and_recycling/recycling_waste_from_electrical_and_electronic_equipment.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

From Argos website. http://www.argos.ie/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/AboutArgos.htm

Electrical products
    You may dispose of your old electrical items free of charge by returning them to any Republic of Ireland Argos store, subject to the following conditions:

For every product to be disposed of free of charge, you must purchase a new electrical item from Argos
    The electrical item to be disposed of must be of an equivalent type or have the same function to the item purchased, e.g. a kettle for a kettle
    The disposed electrical item must not present a health and safety risk to the store staff
    Some products are excluded from this offer, e.g. household lighting
    You can return your old electrical item up to 15 days from the date of purchase of the new item, or if it was delivered to you, up to 30 days from the date of purchase
    You must show the original receipt for your new electrical item when returning the old electrical item in-store
    Business customers are excluded from this offer
    If you are having a large electrical appliance delivered we will usually give you at least 24 hours notice of delivery of the new appliance, and at the same time offer to take away the old disconnected appliance, on the same day. If we do not give this notice, then we will arrange a collection within 15 days. If we give notice and your appliance is not ready, or you decline the collection, you have up to 30 days to return it yourself to the Store for disposal
    Before you decide to dispose of your old electrical equipment, please make every effort to arrange for its re-use, especially if it is still in working order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

ken wrote: »
    From Argos website. http://www.argos.ie/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/AboutArgos.htm

Electrical products
    You may dispose of your old electrical items free of charge by returning them to any Republic of Ireland Argos store, subject to the following conditions:

For every product to be disposed of free of charge, you must purchase a new electrical item from Argos
    The electrical item to be disposed of must be of an equivalent type or have the same function to the item purchased, e.g. a kettle for a kettle
    The disposed electrical item must not present a health and safety risk to the store staff
    Some products are excluded from this offer, e.g. household lighting
    You can return your old electrical item up to 15 days from the date of purchase of the new item, or if it was delivered to you, up to 30 days from the date of purchase
    You must show the original receipt for your new electrical item when returning the old electrical item in-store
    Business customers are excluded from this offer
    If you are having a large electrical appliance delivered we will usually give you at least 24 hours notice of delivery of the new appliance, and at the same time offer to take away the old disconnected appliance, on the same day. If we do not give this notice, then we will arrange a collection within 15 days. If we give notice and your appliance is not ready, or you decline the collection, you have up to 30 days to return it yourself to the Store for disposal
    Before you decide to dispose of your old electrical equipment, please make every effort to arrange for its re-use, especially if it is still in working order.

I went looking for that info but couldn't dig it up, anyway I got an apology.
    Thank you for your email regarding the return of your mini oven for recycling by the store.

I am sorry that we have been unable to respond to your enquiry sooner and also for the confusion information my colleague sent out to you initially as it seems that she was aware the store in question was in the Republic of Ireland. We are currently experiencing unusually high levels of correspondence at the moment which is resulting in certain delays.

I have looked into the matter further and can confirm that although you didn't have your old appliance with you at the time you would be able to return it back to store along with the receipt up to 15 days after the date of the initial purchase.

We apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused. Please visit us at www.argos.co.uk/help where you will find answers to many frequently asked questions, product information and all of our full contact details.

Regards,

I thought this EEE electrical recycling was a europe wide thing or did the UK opt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,052 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Each member state manages it differently. We went for an overkill approach as is often the case

Advertisement