Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Ads 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Tesco 

aaww I like that one!! (:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Why am I crying over penguins :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

aw thaty is sooo adorable. love penguins.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Waitrose

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm loving the Tesco ad this year!

• Advertisement

I hate to admit it but I was slightly disappointed with this year’s crop of new Christmas ads, but I love the Tesco one. It really captures the excitement of Christmas in my opinion. The decorations, the lights, all the prep and the over excited kids, I love it. It’s a good old fashioned feel good Christmas ad. :) I know I am in the minority in thinking this but I think the John Lewis ads have become slightly over hyped and samey :eek:. The ad is cute but not Christmassy enough for me. I think their ads have become more about how will we make people shed a tear this year than about Christmas. Can’t wait for some of the classic to come on, the Guinness ad can never be beaten as far as I’m concerned. Pure Christmas classic. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I hate to admit it but I was slightly disappointed with this year’s crop of new Christmas ads, but I love the Tesco one. It really captures the excitement of Christmas in my opinion. The decorations, the lights, all the prep and the over excited kids, I love it. It’s a good old fashioned feel good Christmas ad. :) I know I am in the minority in thinking this but I think the John Lewis ads have become slightly over hyped and samey :eek:. The ad is cute but not Christmassy enough for me. I think their ads have become more about how will we make people shed a tear this year than about Christmas. Can’t wait for some of the classic to come on, the Guinness ad can never be beaten as far as I’m concerned. Pure Christmas classic. :D

You're not alone, I pretty much agree with each word of that post!

http://youtu.be/7_4AOpcBwZ4

The 2013 Tesco ad is still a favourite of mine! God bless Youtube for holding onto memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I really miss the old Budweiser ad with the Clydesdale horses - the long version!! They barely ever air that anymore and it's an absolute classic in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm very disappointed with the John Lewis ad. It's essentially a child with a penguin and Christmas seems to be an after thought. Usually the JL Christmas ad reduces me to a weepy mess of sentimentality, sadly not this year. Not a patch on last years The Bear and the Hare, or the snowman who went to buy a scarf and gloves for his snow woman girlfriend because she was cold.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/7_4AOpcBwZ4

The 2013 Tesco ad is still a favourite of mine! God bless Youtube for holding onto memories!

Love it, :)

leahyl wrote: »
    I really miss the old Budweiser ad with the Clydesdale horses - the long version!! They barely ever air that anymore and it's an absolute classic in my opinion.

Completely agree, just hearing those bells. Even if it was the middle of the summer it would feel like Christmas.

I'm very disappointed with the John Lewis ad. It's essentially a child with a penguin and Christmas seems to be an after thought. Usually the JL Christmas ad reduces me to a weepy mess of sentimentality, sadly not this year. Not a patch on last years The Bear and the Hare, or the snowman who went to buy a scarf and gloves for his snow woman girlfriend because she was cold.

I think this was a classic from John Lewis and ever other year's ad has been an attempt to replicate the feeling and buzz created by this one. This one is definitely included in my list of classics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm very disappointed with the John Lewis ad. It's essentially a child with a penguin and Christmas seems to be an after thought.
    I don't really get why a small child- who is still young enough to play with soft toys and have a favourite 'teddy' is looking wistfully at couples kissing and hugging and feeling his penguin must be lonely and need someone to love.

I don't ever recall feeling that my teddy bear must have been sad because he was romantically unattached. :o

Yes that's still my favourite John Lewis ad to date! The 2011 one that is. I never realised Posy sneaked in ahead of my reply :P

Can anyone remember the old McDonalds ad, where they showed a closed McDonalds and they were advertising Christmas was the one day they close, I would love a link to it.

This will always be a classic :). Its amazing really, how a short uncomplicated ad can be become such a recognisable classic that has never really aged after all these years.

I think this was a classic from John Lewis and ever other year's ad has been an attempt to replicate the feeling and buzz created by this one. This one is definitely included in my list of classics.
    That's my all time favourite John Lewis ad. :)

Posy wrote: »
    I don't really get why a small child- who is still young enough to play with soft toys and have a favourite 'teddy' is looking wistfully at couples kissing and hugging and feeling his penguin must be lonely and need someone to love.

I don't ever recall feeling that my teddy bear must have been sad because he was romantically unattached. :o

Exactly the whole vibe of the ad just feels forced somehow. Child, teddybear, imaginary friend. Its just slightly clichéd somehow.

Yes that's still my favourite John Lewis ad to date! The 2011 one that is. I never realised Posy sneaked in ahead of my reply :P

Can anyone remember the old McDonalds ad, where they showed a closed McDonalds and they were advertising Christmas was the one day they close, I would love a link to it.

McDonals are another company who usually get their Christmas advertising right in my opion. That ad where McDonalds is closed and it has the tag line of everyone should be home on Christmas day (along those lines anyway :) ) was very touching. I really liked that one :D

• Advertisement

McDonals are another company who usually get their Christmas advertising right in my opion. That ad where McDonalds is closed and it has the tag line of everyone should be home on Christmas day (along those lines anyway :) ) was very touching. I really liked that one :D

Yes, thank God I'm not imaging that ad! If anyone can find a link for it I would be so grateful, I've tried Google and Youtube to no luck!

I loved that ad!! All the shots of the restaurant in darkness and a lovely version of (I think) Hark the Herald Angels Sing. :)

Edit: here it is!

http://www.tvspots.tv/video/16366/mcdonalds--christmas-eve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

First time seeing that ad.. Shame the prezzie at the end wasn't for the little brother..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I've been looking forward to apples 2014 contribution after loving this last year..

I loved that ad!! All the shots of the restaurant in darkness and a lovely version of (I think) Hark the Herald Angels Sing. :)

Posy a thank you isn't enough! That's the exact ad I remembered! I love it! It's a gutsy move enouraging people to stay at home, I've notice they've changed their policy in the last few years as more and more McDonalds are not only opened late Christmas Eve but some are now opened Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The traditional "Holidays are coming" Coca Cola ad came on last night during the ad break for Downton Abbey on ITV. Christmas has officially begun :o

Damn, I was watching feckin' Love/Hate!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Mulberry ad is different. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

• Advertisement

Thanks for that :). Love seeing that again. I am pretty much fiercely against shops being opened on Christmas Day & even Stephens Day so this kind of strikes a bit of a chord with me. It was refreshing and different at the time.

Advertisement