Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Shotgun!?CHEAP OLD SXS

Options
  • 31-10-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

With 1st Nov tomorrow jealous that i cant go out!Why did i get a rifle! :P

Just wondering what brands would be okay not spending much mabye 200 on an old SxS just for beating around till i get something better!

Heard Baikal are great old guns for the money anything else?

Also brands not to touch heard cheap yildiz are a heap of sh*te second barrel not going off etc!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

1shot16 wrote: »
    With 1st Nov tomorrow jealous that i cant go out!Why did i get a rifle! :P

Just wondering what brands would be okay not spending much mabye 200 on an old SxS just for beating around till i get something better!

Also brands not to touch heard cheap yildiz are a heap of sh*te second barrel not going off etc!

If its your first ever shotty and looking for something fast before the season is over Id say get the baikal. You will pick one up for next to nothing and it will let you see what you like (or dont like) in a shotty. Then next season you will have a bit of money saved and a bit more time to sit and think about what you really want and will have time to research different brands etc

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Yeah Might go for a baikal got quoted 150 for a sxs may have a look within the coming days and get cash together!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Go to a few dealers, you'll be surprised what kind of quality sxs you can pick up for very little money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Harrington and Richardson single barrel,410 gauge, 3 inch chamber, hammer action. Will handle 2``,2.5''and 3'' shells.Great for rats,mink, grey squirrel and rabbit. €150 approx.Lovely gun to handle.No recoil.Great vermin gun.And might be of more use to you.

Dont think id be interested in a single barrel .410 when a 12G sxs could be picked up for around the same money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

1shot16 wrote: »

For the price you pay, it will be hard to beat the Baikal.

Usually, their fit and finish is nothing to brag about. But at least the commies no longer get varnish on the metal, like the old Nagants. :rolleyes:

You can beat them and they just keep on going. Take them into the field for rough shooting - no problem. Come across a fence post that needs to be driven back in to the ground - no problem! Nearby the Gaelic Grounds and find a sliothar - no problem!

Seriously though, I have an o/u Baikal IZH-27 and she is grand. I removed the wood, sanded, rubbed oil, and chiseled a bit of the stock joints. She fits and looks great now. I have no problem recommending them.

I particularly enjoy shooting trap and skeet and breaking clay better than those around me with much more expensive guns. My usual response to such shooter is - "are you sure you're using the right choke?"

Harrington and Richardson single barrel,410 gauge, 3 inch chamber, hammer action. Will handle 2``,2.5''and 3'' shells.Great for rats,mink, grey squirrel and rabbit. €150 approx.Lovely gun to handle.No recoil.Great vermin gun.And might be of more use to you.

I love the little 410.Very fast to swing on to a target after that I would go for the 20 bore.Little bit more of a load.Not very popular though.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

go for the Baikal but try and get an old one made in the USSR believe it or not they were better quality, think they were made from o;d Lada's

I bought a 12 gauge Baikal as my first gun. Biggest mistake I ever made.You will learn the art of shotgunning better with a smaller gauge gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LiamLad

Go for a baikal...my first shotgun was a single barrel one that i picked up for 60 euro!.....they're tuff as nails

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I think everyone has been through the Baikal apprenticeship (and has the bruises to prove it). I picked up a second-hand Berretta on here for a newbie friend of mine. I can't help but feel that he's missing out by not having a first gun that has a stock made from a railway sleeper orfor no reason hops up and bruises his cheek every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I has a Gunmark Sabel back in the 80's. Spanish made gun, from an amalgamation of various gum makers. Very well finished, brand is long gone, so if you come across one, it could be a bargain.

I bought a 12 gauge Baikal as my first gun. Biggest mistake I ever made.You will learn the art of shotgunning better with a smaller gauge gun.

+1 I have a few 12ga shotguns, however, whenever I head out, I grab the 20ga. It is so easy to swing that if get behind a target, you can easily catch up and swing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I wouldn't get too hung up on brands etc. at your price point, just try to find something that fits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

go for it.

got one myself

2013-03-02145242_zpse972e32b.jpg

Garv that looks anazing

What model and how much do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

J.R. wrote: »

Some right s*it guns there.
    If you are serious about getting into shooting best try and get something half decent first time.. buy cheap, buy twice. Feck that "starter gun", "entry level gun" b*ll****, thats salesman speak for come back to me next year and I'll get another pay day from you. Baikel have a decent rep but for fecks sake get a new one or better yet get a grand or so together and get a decent lanber or even good second hand Beretta sp1.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Some right s*it guns there.
    If you are serious about getting into shooting best try and get something half decent first time.. buy cheap, buy twice. Feck that "starter gun", "entry level gun" b*ll****, thats salesman speak for come back to me next year and I'll get another pay day from you. Baikel have a decent rep but for fecks sake get a new one or better yet get a grand or so together and get a decent lanber or even good second hand Beretta sp1.
    Best of luck.

SportsDen have a nice AYA 25 listed on their website.

I think you need to go round the shops and look at their stock yourself. Side by Side's are not so popular, and often get left out of web site listings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

It might be worth your while calling into Hilltop. Pat has a huge selection of secondhand SxS guns, and you have the option of trying out the gun on a few clays to make sure it suits you :)

• Advertisement

pm'd ya...

Advertisement