Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bach's Fugue in D Minor VS young child!

Options
  • 01-11-2014 12:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

I thought it was a manufactured thing, that we somehow had been "sold" the idea that the first few seconds of this was "scary ".

I was more than surprised when I played the start of the piece on CD for my 3 year old niece.

Just before the organ swell she said "This is scary music!!"

I asked her if she'd ever heard it before and she said no. And not a big Tv viewer either.

Weird or what??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I think tis scary alright-and that's why I have it as my message notification tone,tis deadly!
    Tis an all time classic,and indeed has been used in horror movies like "Tales From The Crypt".
    But,for a long time it has been wrongly linked with Dracula-all thanks to Hollywood and that music being played every time a picture of Dracula or a reference to the film was made-when the truth is,Toccata and Fugue in D Minor was never used in any Dracula film.

The same can be said for that O Fortuna stuff and The Omen.
    I got pretty fed up of hearing that music in the backdrop of references to The Omen e.g. documentaries etc.With O Fortuna being a lively celebration song about a Pagan goddess,I really don't know how that became associated with The Omen-when I hear that I can only think of an old tv ad for Old Spice.I mean,tis not even one bit scary!!
    Listen to O Fortuna,and then listen to the real soundtrack Ave Satani,and then you'll know!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Seasan wrote: »
    I think tis scary alright-and that's why I have it as my message notification tone,tis deadly!
    Tis an all time classic,and indeed has been used in horror movies like "Tales From The Crypt".
    But,for a long time it has been wrongly linked with Dracula-all thanks to Hollywood and that music being played every time a picture of Dracula or a reference to the film was made-when the truth is,Toccata and Fugue in D Minor was never used in any Dracula film.

The same can be said for that O Fortuna stuff and The Omen.
    I got pretty fed up of hearing that music in the backdrop of references to The Omen e.g. documentaries etc.With O Fortuna being a lively celebration song about a Pagan goddess,I really don't know how that became associated with The Omen-when I hear that I can only think of an old tv ad for Old Spice.I mean,tis not even one bit scary!!
    Listen to O Fortuna,and then listen to the real soundtrack Ave Satani,and then you'll know!

But why is it so scary????

Yeah, O Fortuna, I'll try that for her next experiment!! She won't have seen the Omen or old spice ads!

I experienced it being butchered some years ago during the opera festival in Wexford, a choir suffering from flu accompanied by a single piano in a church recital.

Advertisement