Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burned out smoke detector

Options
  • 01-11-2014 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭

Ok, I need some advice here.

Last night at home one of my wired in smoke detectors at home made a big snap sound and started smoking badly. To stop it I had to flick the mains trip and remove it from the ceiling. On inspection a tall black component ( possibly a large capacitor or a small relay ) seems to have melted.

Has anyone seen this type of behaviour before and is it common? I was surprised that a device supposed to save you in the event of a fire could also cause one....

Finally is there a regulation that stops me replacing these myself?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Last night at home one of my wired in smoke detectors at home made a big snap sound and started smoking badly. To stop it I had to flick the mains trip and remove it from the ceiling. On inspection a tall black component ( possibly a large capacitor or a small relay ) seems to have melted.

Has anyone seen this type of behaviour before and is it common? I was surprised that a device supposed to save you in the event of a fire could also cause one....

never seen that
    I would consider replacing all of them after that issue esp. if they are a budget brand of alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

I seen this a few times before. Once water is eliminated as a cause that leaves wiring and smokie. As mikeyjames9 says..budget brands should be replaced especially if over 10 years old as they are generally inexpensive. Theres no reason why you can not replace them like for like yourself as the wiring is generally universal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A "competent person" would be permitted to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

2011 wrote: »

Competancy is not a problem, just wanted to be sure there was no regulations saying that you have to be certified to fit them ie.

I'll have a look at the wiring and check for damage, thankfully water wasn't the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

2011 wrote: »

Totally Agree :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement