Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone spiked my girlfriends drink tonight in the stock exchange/coyotes.

Options
  • 01-11-2014 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Basically someone spiked my girlfriends drink tonight and I would like to know if anyone saw anything

She was upstairs in the main area, I went to get a pint and when I came back I could not see her. I went downstairs and she was asleep in the empty bar area by herself. She went from being a bit tipsey to totally comatose. when she woke up she was hysterical and almost inconsolable.

i have never seen her like this before and I believe this was due to someone spiking her drink. She is tall with long dark hair and she was dressed up as jigsaw from saw.

If anyone knows anything please tell me as I will be taking this to the gardai tomorrow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

why wait till tomorrow? have you brought her to hospital? maybe there could be some adverse reaction or getting tested or some kind of samples might eliminate any possible problems??
    If I suspected a problem, no matter what I thought might be the cause, Id be calling an ambulance immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

You should defo get her to the hospital if you suspect that her drink was spiked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Get her to hospital if you can and she's up for it. As for the guards, I wouldn't hold out much hope. A friend was assaulted (not badly) on a holiday night and the guards refused to come because 'drink had been taken' (in fact it was the first question they asked. Try told her to come in to report it the next day. The response left me bit disgusted tbh.
    Sorry that happened OP and hope she's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

It always turns out to be alcohol.

Girls regularly report to Gardai that their drinks have been spiked but the blood test always turn out negative.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=2369

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

actually it doesn't ALWAYS turn out to be alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Girls regularly report to Gardai that their drinks have been spiked but the blood test always turn out negative.

Always yeah?

You should stop giving out false and damaging information.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Well 'always' was probably not the best word to use but hospital emergency staff regularly see patients (ladies in particular) who claim to have had their drink spiked and it is very very rare that their drinks have been spiked.

I did read an article a few years by an A&E consultant from one of the Dublin hospital and while I cant remember the exact figures, basically of the hundreds of 'spiked' claims over the years, he had never seen a positive test result.

It turns out that people are simply underestimating the amount of drink they have had and combined with other individual factors. There are a lot of secret drinkers out there.

Just because you see someone only drink 3-4 pints and next thing they have passed out does not equate to 'Oh drink must have been spiked'- quite often they

a) drank at home before going out,
    b) had a few cheeky chasers,
    c) empty stomach
    d) medication.
    e) drank too quickly
    f) just a bad night
    g) any combination of the above
    Maybe this lady had her drink spiked- only one way to find out.

The OP has said that her drinks WAS spiked but nothing to back this up or tests. There is nonsense myth out there that drinks are regularly spiked. Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Op I used to work for a company that made rohypnol (it is a legal sleeping drug before anyone starts). If someone slipped one into her drink she would have been asleep for more than a few minutes and you would not have been able to rouse her.

Unfortunately, although a scary situation for you, it was more than likely just the alcohol.

OP

You were obviously concerned about your GF but instead of taking her to hospital last night, you came on here to post at 02:08 am???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

People sometimes just have a bad reaction to alcohol. I, on a couple of occasions have felt quite ill & way drunker than I should be after drinking 3 or 4 cans on my own at home. I definitely didn't "spike" myself. It just meant that I was a bit unwell for other reasons but hadn't realised it & the alcohol just brought it out. The phenomenon of people going around bars dropping tablets into people's drinks is largely an urban myth. Rohypnol, the drug at the centre of many of the alleged attacks has had a strong dye added to it for years so that a person's drink would change colour if a tablet was dropped into it. Where surreptitious spiking does occur it's likely to simply be with alcohol, e.g. adding a double vodka shot into a pint etc.

• Advertisement

Custardpi wrote: »
    People sometimes just have a bad reaction to alcohol. I, on a couple of occasions have felt quite ill & way drunker than I should be after drinking 3 or 4 cans on my own at home. I definitely didn't "spike" myself. It just meant that I was a bit unwell for other reasons but hadn't realised it & the alcohol just brought it out. The phenomenon of people going around bars dropping tablets into people's drinks is largely an urban myth. Rohypnol, the drug at the centre of many of the alleged attacks has had a strong dye added to it for years so that a person's drink would change colour if a tablet was dropped into it. Where surreptitious spiking does occur it's likely to simply be with alcohol, e.g. adding a double vodka shot into a pint etc.

Quite often the spiking claim is just a convenient cover up or trying to save face.

Personally I have gone and had 10-12 pints (very very rare these days) and been perfectly coherent and with all my faculties in place.

Other nights I have had 2-3 drinks and have been pissed and woken up with a hang over.

There is also another serious side to spiking claims which was mentioned in the articles I read.

Now the vast vast majority of claims are by women. This also leads to claims of rape or sexual assault. Women turning up at A&E after shagging a guy. Cant remember any details and claim to have been spiked. This inevitably leads to pregnancy scares, STDs screening etc and it is people underestimating the amount of drink or in some sort of denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

TheConway wrote: »
    If anyone knows anything please tell me .

listen to the facts and the statistics that have been posted by the sensible people in this thread.

dont listen to the drama queens telling you to go to the hospital or the gardai based on silly urban myths.

your girlfriend was drunk.
    end of story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭CartHorse

There is also another serious side to spiking claims which was mentioned in the articles I read.

Now the vast vast majority of claims are by women. This also leads to claims of rape or sexual assault. Women turning up at A&E after shagging a guy. Cant remember any details and claim to have been spiked. This inevitably leads to pregnancy scares, STDs screening etc and it is people underestimating the amount of drink or in some sort of denial.

Lol. OP might want to see that his gf goes to her GP to discuss her drinking problem (and not the Gardai about her unable to make decisions last night) when he rolls out of bed this morning.

I have heard women many times say that during their monthly period, they are far more sensiitive to alcohol and it goes to head a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Your GF fell asleep after having a few drinks so the only explanation is that she was spiked?? :confused:

She had too much to drink OP, simple as.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Spiking does not exist. It is always over consumption of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

To be fair it might be no harm to get a check up by her GP anyway. If she genuinely got drunk on a much smaller amout of alcohol than it would normally take her that could be a symptom of an underlying health problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

in the stock exchange/coyotes

I stopped reading there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

inisboffin wrote: »
    Get her to hospital if you can and she's up for it. As for the guards, I wouldn't hold out much hope. A friend was assaulted (not badly) on a holiday night and the guards refused to come because 'drink had been taken' (in fact it was the first question they asked. Try told her to come in to report it the next day. The response left me bit disgusted tbh.
    Sorry that happened OP and hope she's ok.

That's simply because the word of someone who's phissed is worthless in court. You were assaulted and had a bump and few bruises, nobody seriously injured and all a few too many tipples and walked away after. That's a situation where no Garda can do anything for anyone involved and the proper thing to do is to go and report it the next morning if you're still bothered with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

In fairness, while I agree that it's extremely unlikely that her drink was in fact spiked, it's a bit irrelevant linking to an article stating that Gardaí don't believe it's a problem in Ireland, when said article is thirteen years old!!! I'm sure there are plenty of more recent articles confirming that it's almost always just alcohol.

OP I assume you brought her straight to A&E for treatment and blood tests? As any reasonable person would if they genuinely believed that their girlfriend had unknowingly ingested who knows what sort of drugs. If you want to go to the Gardaí with this, you'll obviously need the evidence from the hospital that there were in fact drugs in her bloodstream and not just alcohol ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Gonna tell you a little story. Its true and it opened my eyes.

My wife passed out at a party after 3 drinks. She was sure she had been spiked but I told her it was impossible. She had her best friend on one side of her and me on the other.

I carried her unconscious to a taxi and put her to bed. As I was a little later to arrive at the party, I thought she had drunk more than she admitted and was peed.

Down to the doctor next day and he said it could be a food allergy (yep you read correctly). He did a urine test and no drugs found. Turns out she overdosed on finger food - sausages, rolls, sandwiches.

Turns out she is a coeliac, she is now on a gluten free diet.

I would never have believed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

green123 wrote: »
    listen to the facts and the statistics that have been posted by the sensible people in this thread.

dont listen to the drama queens telling you to go to the hospital or the gardai based on silly urban myths.

your girlfriend was drunk.
    end of story

Drunk or very bored I would say. It is an urban myth. Who would bother on Halloween night given the amount of "actual" drunk ladies there will be at 2am?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Tugboats wrote: »
    in the stock exchange/coyotes

I stopped reading there...

No, you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Regardless of the reputation the venue in question has I think mods should remove the name of where the 'incident' happened.

A title like that could have a detrimental effect on a business' future and seeing as the claim is unproven it's unfair for the club to suffer as a result.

Hope the lady in question recovers, weather it ends up being from alcohol or substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    Regardless of the reputation the venue in question has I think mods should remove the name of where the 'incident' happened.

A title like that could have a detrimental effect on a business' future and seeing as the claim is unproven it's unfair for the club to suffer as a result.

Hope the lady in question recovers, weather it ends up being from alcohol or substances.

Fair point, especially as its more than likely nothing actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

That's simply because the word of someone who's phissed is worthless in court. You were assaulted and had a bump and few bruises, nobody seriously injured and all a few too many tipples and walked away after. That's a situation where no Garda can do anything for anyone involved and the proper thing to do is to go and report it the next morning if you're still bothered with it.

She wasn't pissed, she'd had 2 drinks. The guards just asked was there drink taken. The only reason the assault wasn't more serious is that someone intervened on her part. They didn't ask if the assault was sexual (it wasn't explicitly), if the person was hurt, or still in danger, just if 'she had been drinking'. Ffs.. The guard who followed up commented on the seriousness of the situation and how it was probably 'down to staffing'. The incident was taken further.

The comment about 'why bother, there are plenty of drunk women at 2am is a bit disgusting tbh.

OP all the comments about food allergies, and simple genuine reactions to alcohol are good advice but while less likely, spiking is not a myth, but it's more likely for someone to be spiked with a shot in a pint etc. As people said, if it's such an unusual reaction, get it checked out anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Ebrola

foxy_19-89 wrote: »

Good point. The reputation of the club shouldn't have to suffer from the actions of one foolish girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

A lot of assuming going on in that post.....do people really go on all day sessions for Halloween? Any ways I'm with the "Don't think she was Spiked" brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Still better to get checked, maybe not for the spiking potential but at least for the potential for something else medical, over drinking may have caused it to present? or it may have just become apparent now.
    Might have been alcohol poisoning? I think they can give something to reverse that or limit its harm? at the least a stomach pump?
    christy02 wrote: »
    Op I used to work for a company that made rohypnol (it is a legal sleeping drug before anyone starts). If someone slipped one into her drink she would have been asleep for more than a few minutes and you would not have been able to rouse her.

Unfortunately, although a scary situation for you, it was more than likely just the alcohol.

I thought they had to put something in certain medications that might have the effect of knocking someone out, ie a chemical that causes the drink to be dyed to show something was put in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement