Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with dog

• 01-11-2014 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I have a toy poodle x who is a complete pet. She lives a pampered life mainly spent on couch, sleeps in crate in kitchen and gets walked every day.

An odd night she will whimper in crate and my hubbie will get up and tell her to be quiet and she will be fine, however last 2 nights he is away and as per usual she spends the evening on couch with me and then I put her in crate at bedtime. However she barked and cried until about 3 am, I got up several times, let her out to loo tried to be firm etc but no good. I can't give in and let her in to couch as she'll be mooching around keeping everyone awake and I was tempted to bring her to bed but my hubbie has asthma and it's not fair having her on bed.

So what do I do, should I get a lot firmer with her, she knows I'm a softie so is totally trying her case.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do you live in an area where fireworks are going off - they could be waking her up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

No, we are out in the sticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

something has obviously unsettled her for the last 2 nights - even if its only the change of your husband being away - that could have broken her routine... As you say, if you are the softie in the house, any new habit you set up will be a pain to break/get back to the old ways - so if you let her out of her crate, she knows crying=being let out by you!

Is the door of her crate closed?
    If its only for the past couple nights, maybe she can hear distant halloween noises you cant hear? Is there an animal outside at night (cat/fox etc) that you cant hear? The wind in the trees - leaves being blown about!
    Heavens knows what it is that is unsettling her - is she coming in to season?? - it could be anything. But as you are aware, if you give in to her, she will have to get back in to the routine of being in her crate when your poor asthmatic (!) husband gets back.

Make sure she gets outside to toilet & check the place out before you go to bed. She has water? A nice cuddly/warm blanket? Stay strong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

hollytrees wrote: »
    No, we are out in the sticks

I live out in the sticks as well, not a single trick or treater called to the door, so I forgot it was halloween. But then one of my dogs was very unsettled last night, kept going and looking out of the window, which is what reminded me of what night it was, I think he could hear distant halloween noises, that I wasn't aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

Well mystery solved.... I've spoilt my dog!!

Put her to bed last night as per usual and after a while same whimpering started, only this time husband went out and firmly told her to be quiet and not a peep out of her for the rest of the night :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

:)

Advertisement